Oldest Surviving Rehat Manuscript (1718/1719 Ad)

I agree, Sikhs have made so much history but did not put much effort in writing it down. It could be because of the on going struggle and regular persecution at the hands of Mughals and foreign invaders. At any rate, much more research needs to be done especially on whereabouts of Guru Sahib's "kauns" which He left at Mecca.

Those sources you have mentioned, bhatt vahis, the bhai Jeevan thing etc. are also manuscripts that have yet to be seriously studied and analysed. If they are provable then one wonders why they haven't been used openly to counter arguments against kakkars.

Piara Singh Padam studied and analyzed Bhatt Vahis and Bansavalinama. Not everything in Bhatt Vahis is accurate but it gives us the most important info on history such as dates and years and many missing details from our regular history books. Once again, we can easily disregard anti-Sikhi portions by evaluating them using Gurbani. Bhai Jeevan Singh's account was found and used to counter Kala Afghana couple of years ago and Sikhs scholars thanked Afghana for challenging Amrit because otherwise they wouldn't have worked so hard to find this rare piece of work. I don't have the entire document but I do have some quotes from that document in case anyone wants to read them. They are in Gurmukhi.

Shamsher Singh Ashok studied and kept record of the literature that was lost in 84. He was in charge of handling the literature.

No comments on the content of the rehat?

I noticed how it seems to back up the Jhatka argument regarding diet.

Given it may be a product of Banda's time, the references to slaying sullay are understandable.

Bhai Gurmukh Singh of Punjab University published a book "Bhai Jaita Ji Tay Rachna" in which he gives references to hand written accounts. Bhai Jaita Ji was a Sikh of Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji and brought Guru Sahib's Sees to Anandpur Sahib. Later he took Amrit in 1699 and became Bhai Jeevan Singh. He wrote down what he witnessed and the hand written account now resides in Faridkot.

First, Guru Sahib called five heads, took them inside and when brought them outside, they were dressed and were wearing kakkars:

post-1107-1185386450.jpg

Then Amrit was prepared.

post-1107-1185386490.jpg

After five Banis were recited, Amrit was put in eyes and kes.

post-1107-1185386560.jpg

What I have is about 3 pages long but I included most important and brief quotes. I will try to get the book. I hope it will have much more details.

Just to add to our discussion. I found this about Bhatt Vahis questioning their historical validity in the Sikh review:

http://www.sikhreview.org/february1994/historiography.htm

This is some information regarding the contents of the document created by Bhai Sarup Singh Kaushish (Guru Kian Sakhian) completed in 1790. This apparently contains the account of the founding of the Khalsa that most of us have read and is meant to be based on the Bhatt vahis of Kauhish's ancestor. One point of doubt in this manuscript is the use of some English words which indicates a later date of writing then claimed. Sikhs had only just come into contact with English at this stage and that contact was minimal. Also the original is not available for study.

http://www.sikhreview.org/march2001/chronicle.htm

The original is said to have been in Faridkot. I don't have the book so I don't know more details. Bhatt Vahis that have been published were not written but translated by Saroop Singh in 1790. Sikh review has made some false assumptions regarding Bhatt Vahis but I have stated before that not everything is acceptable when we evaluate it with Gurbani. There are many Bhatt Vahis such as Thaynesar Pargana, Talwanda etc. Anyways, here are some more quotes:

Guru Sahib brought five Sikhs outside and everyone was surprised at how they became alive. Last line says: There is no end to Guru's miracles.

post-1107-1185396340.jpg

Here is the account of how Amrit was prepared.

post-1107-1185396443.jpg

post-1107-1185396449.jpg

It makes no mention of Mata Ajit Kaur Ji putting patasay. According to Bhai Sahib Guru Sahib Himself put patasay and I fully agree with it. I read another account (don't remember where) of Amrit Sanchaar which says that before establishing Khalsa, Guru Sahib went into deep meditation and planned everything. He knew what challenges and problems Khalsa would face in the future and what needed to be done. So this also proved that Guru Sahib was fully prepared. Mata Ji brining in patasay shows that Amrit wasn't preplanned which is incorrect.

Thanks!

He knew what challenges and problems Khalsa would face in the future and what needed to be done. So this also proved that Guru Sahib was fully prepared. Mata Ji brining in patasay shows that Amrit wasn't preplanned which is incorrect.

hmmm, interesting. So who brought forth the idea of Mata jee putting pataase in the bata? And I thought it was Mataa Saaheb Kaur jee?