Help With Career Please

Guest ComputerSingh

Guest ComputerSingh

Sat sri akal,

I'm 25 and studying computer science. I am struggling, I don't know whether to stick with it or to get a job. It would be helpful to get some insights.

Thanks

Guest Akirtghan

if you are struggling and you dontlike it, i'd say switch to something else. if your interest is in computer, perhpas look into some hardware courses (become a computer techinician maybe) because i know computer science is more software based. computer field is vast, there's tons to do. if you could tell us what intersts are and maybe some suggestions can be made

There doesn't seem to be much money in strictly dealing with hardware so watch out. What aspect do you find difficult in computer science? The programming or mathematical aspects?

I would advise you to continue studying, even if you do make the choice to change course. Have a think about what your strengths are and choose something based on them.

Guest Guest
There doesn't seem to be much money in strictly dealing with hardware so watch out. What aspect do you find difficult in computer science? The programming or mathematical aspects?

I would advise you to continue studying, even if you do make the choice to change course. Have a think about what your strengths are and choose something based on them.

move to Software Testing. WIndriver, auto/manual testing. DO some certified cource.

• 2 years later...

Bhaji, a diploma limits your options quite a bit. I have a degree in Computer Science from an accredited University, even then I had a really tough time finding a job. It seems like you are into computer hardware, in which case you could look into enhancing your skill set. If you do not wish you do a degree, certifications will definitely help you out. Look into various hardware certs, like A+, Cisco etc

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html

I agree with dalsingh01 that there isn't much scope for pure hardware people anymore.

Look into getting trained on business side of things as well, any technical training coupled with business and/or management puts you in a better spot than majority of other job seekers out there.

I don't know where you live, but if there are any job placement agencies around, please make an appointment with them and discuss your career options. People working in these agencies can tell you quite a bit about the market place which can prove to be very helpful. Good luck.