Terrorist

B4ND4

PM to Brown: Don't stereotype Indians

Anita Katyal and Tripti Nath

Tribune News Service

ind5.jpg

New Delhi, July 5

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today donned a South Asian mantle and batted for Pakistan as well as its beseiged President Pervez Musharraf.

Manmohan Singh also disclosed that he telephoned British Prime Minister Gordon Brown yesterday in context of a "fear psychosis" gripping the South Asian community.

In the UK following the arrest of three Indian doctors on suspicion of their involvement in failed terror attempts, he made it clear that labelling terrorists on the basis of communities or nationalities would not help.

He cautioned against sticking to such stereotyped list of classification. "Terrorists are terrorists. They have no particular religions, no particular communities. These labels are best avoided. They have to be dealt with as such rather than to fix labels to them like 'Pakistanis', 'non-Pakistani' , `Muslims' or 'non Muslims'."

In this context, he also remarked, "I am a Sikh and I know what it means to be called a Sikh terrorist."

He said he was in touch with the UK government and had offered "all possible help" in dealing with the situation. He emphasised that his government would protect the Indian diaspora in that country.

He was speaking to members of the Indian Women Press Corps at Panchavati at his Race Course Road official residence. The interaction lasted an hour.

He refused to comment on Pakistan situation in view of the Lal Masjid developments. He merely said, "Pakistan is faced with a difficult situation. We don't want to complicate matters. I don't want to judge things hastily."

On terrorism, he said Pakistan was also realising that the menace affected everybody. "It goes without saying that as a nation we stand with all those who hope to wipe out the scourge of terrorism. We will cooperate with all segments of the world community."

Significantly, Manmohan Singh conceded in response to a question that the India-Pakistan dialogue may have slowed down, but added that it was "not because of us, but because of the situation in Pakistan."

He pointed out that never before in history, India and Pakistan had such a serious, sustained and intensive dialogue covering all aspects. "Both of us are committed to the dialogue. We have greater concern for each other."

He said when he had met Gen Musharraf for the first time, he told him that he had no mandate or agenda for redrawing the boundaries but their common challenge was to make the borders irrelevant. "We took time but we have come to a common understanding."

On China, he said India had made a new beginning two years ago. "We have agreed to a broader principle that will delineate our border. This is not an easy issue," he remarked.

On nuclear deal, the Prime Minister said two or three issues remain to be sorted out. He said foreign secretary Shivshankar Menon and national security adviser M K Narayanan will be visiting Washington soon in this connection. "Whether we succeed (in our efforts) or not, only time will tell," he said. On the controversy regarding berthing nuclear-powerd American ship Nimitz in Chennai recently, the Prime Minister was dismissive. "It is an ordinary development. We have had naval ships from France, the UK and China. Too much should not be made out of it," he advised.

Guest militant singh
this is probly the most intelligent and fair PM india has ever seen and will see for a long time. :umm:

*** MOD NOTE: WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE. THIS IS YOUR FIRST 'VERBAL' WARNING. ANY MORE FOUL LANGUAGE POSTS FROM YOU AND YOU WILL GET A REAL WARNING AND BE PUT UNDER MODERATION. PLEASE REMEMBER THERE ARE MINORS ON THIS SITE AND THINK BEFORE YOU POST. THANK YOU ***

Guest militant singh
this is probly the most intelligent and fair PM india has ever seen and will see for a long time. :umm:

*** MOD NOTE: WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE. THIS IS YOUR FIRST 'VERBAL' WARNING. ANY MORE FOUL LANGUAGE POSTS FROM YOU AND YOU WILL GET A REAL WARNING AND BE PUT UNDER MODERATION. PLEASE REMEMBER THERE ARE MINORS ON THIS SITE AND THINK BEFORE YOU POST. THANK YOU ***

wht did i sy??????????????????? did i swr???? the reason i used the 'stars' eg : ******* ' was cos i knw der r minorz ere,so wts with the warningz??? i dnt lke the indian govt full stp,those r my viewz and i will express em,no need 2 threaten me.

^^Using stars don't mean ppl dont understand wht u have typed.

I dont like you, can i express my views the way you expressed yours against indian govt ?? tongue.gif

ps: please dont threaten me rolleyes.gif .. o yeah if you gonna call me "KAT" plz dont bother makin a new post.. i'll do tht for u

B4ND4 is a kat..death to katsss

Guest militant singh
^^Using stars don't mean ppl dont understand wht u have typed.

I dont like you, can i express my views the way you expressed yours against indian govt ?? tongue.gif

ps: please dont threaten me rolleyes.gif .. o yeah if you gonna call me "KAT" plz dont bother makin a new post.. i'll do tht for u

B4ND4 is a kat..death to katsss

:umm:

the most intelligent PM India has ever had, happens to be a sikh.

LOL, man that means we CAN run a country.

wink wink. yeah you all know what I'm on about :umm:

yeh lol and we're not being biased, he really is a good PM, it's not just coz hes a sikh rolleyes.gif