- *coventry* - *youth* - *akhand* - *kirtan* - *darbar* -

Those who want to listen to katha can go to the Smethwick prog. Those who want to listen to pure keertan, without any inferences can go to the Coventry Prog.

Sometimes when you listen to keertan and then have a paarcharak doing katha and then keertan again, its hard for the mind to get settled back into the keertan . Thats why some people may just perfere to listen to pure keertan.

Vah ji vah!!! Now katha is an 'INTERFERENCE'!!!!!!!

If the mind was truely settled my friend then it would be in anand from listening to the katha as well as the kirtan. If the mind is enchanted by the tabla beat and the sound of the music then that is a different thing. Each to his own. But please .... dont insult katha by calling it an 'INTERFERENCE'.

Seems like the old traditions of having kirtan and katha darbars are fading with the rise of the ultra super fast tabla beats. Just as a pointer ... sikhi to the max is a starting point, however it can never replace katha vachaks and personal khojh of gurbani.

thank you

katha is fine, but akhand keertan is best, therefore maybe do katha at a separate time

the point of going to coventry is to show support for the monthly programme

go coventry! :TH:

sB qy aUqm hir kI kQw ]

sabh thae ootham har kee kathhaa ||

Highest of all is the Lord's Speech.

i think i would rather get more peace of mind listenin to katha then going mental

'going mental' ohmy.gif .......so you think kirtan makes you go mental ? ....it doesn't make sense....its not really the best of ways to describe gurbani/kirtan is it?

fatehjee d_oh.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vaheguru!..

wat u mean 'going mental'?! grin.gif theres no need for that

... stop ruinin the thread and go to any programme that suits you, rather then sitting infront of the computer and saying which is better to go to. if u want to listen to katha go birmingham if u want to listen to keertan come cov!! simple as. stop moanin about wats better, both are good, where ever you are able to go, go and get some laha.

there's some people who may not be able to come to birmingham because they not allowed or any other reason and they get a chance to get laha from going to cov programme, no harm in that atleast people got a chance of going to one of the programme.

sorry if i offended anyone, not my intention. bhul chuk marf jio.. :lol:

fateh jee pray.gif

Guest Hardeep_S_Khalsa

Singh Bling, why are you comparing Baba Isher Singh to the jatha for. In Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh's time their were only use to be 5-7 people taking amrit because they were strict on who they choose. The gursikh had to keep strict rehit before they took amrit and they had to sit throughout an whole akhand paath. It's not about the quantity its about the quality. Those gursikhs after taking amrit became naam abyiasey singhs. Like Guru Gobind Singh says one of my sikhs is worth 250000. There is no doubt Baba Isher Singh jee was an amazing gursikh and always will be remembered as one. Its ashame your comparing these great gursikhs.

Guest Hardeep_S_Khalsa
vaheguru!..

... stop ruinin the thread and go to any programme that suits you, rather then sitting infront of the computer and saying which is better to go to. if u want to listen to katha go birmingham if u want to listen to keertan come cov!! simple as. stop moanin about wats better, both are good, where ever you are able to go, go and get some laha.

there's some people who may not be able to come to birmingham because they not allowed or any other reason and they get a chance to get laha from going to cov programme, no harm in that atleast people got a chance of going to one of the programme.

fateh jee pray.gif

Great Post!!!!

vaheguru!..

fateh jee pray.gif

Great Post!!!!

amen

its nice to go towns and cities where theres actual pyaar for sikhi, not fighting, or politics or stories of this n that. not many places left lyk that and coventry is really good, even more so its nice to be in a Gurdwara where the area around it is quite blissful.

lol great to see traditions sliding slowly slowly away .... if we loose the importance of katha, we will have a generation of 'sikhs' whose knowledge on gurbani comes from sikhitothemax.com lol!!!

listening to katha is just as important as listening and doing kirtan. one needs a balance in life. many shabads have stories behind them and dont have the literal meanings as shown on sikhitothemax, unless we listen to and do katha or discussions on gurbani we wont develop the deeper learnings.

its because we dont listen to and work on katha that we cant explain sikhi to people who ask us questions. look how many people have been doing kirtan and attending kirtan progs all their lives but when you get a deep question on a shabad they dnt have a clue where to start.

i personally think all progs should have katha and discourse of gurbani to explain the shabads as well as kirtan.

Guest baba amarjeet singh

yes i agree it is important to know deeper meanings and history of shabads.

but you know, different singhs, will have different interpretations of different shabads, so you may get one singh doing katha of a shabad and another singh telling you that it means something else

the best we can do is research and use gurmat to decided what we think the shabad is telling us

but to say katha and gurbani are of equal importance is incorrect

gurbani itself without understanding the meanings will have a positive effect on your mind

like in that other post about water and the sieve, and the seive gets all shiny even though no water stayed in it

if we lose katha we have a generation of sikhs losing the meaning of gurbani, if we lose gurbani we have no sikhs

so although i agree that understanding of gurbani and its context is important i think that doing gurbani abyaas itself is of higher importance, ie. reciting gurbani is compulsory for evey amritdhari in the form of daily nitnem, understanding nitnem is important but not compulsory

Just to clarify a few points regarding the Keertan Darbar as there seems to be alot written on forums regarding it. The Monthly Keertan Darbar was organised by the Naujawan from the Gurdwara to encourage the local sangat and younger generation of local Gursikhs to come on a regular basis to the Gurdwara and do Keertan. We do not intentionally clash with any other programmes. Our wish was for other Gurdware to do the same and bring the younger generation into their Gurdwaras. We welcome all Sangat locally or from outside Coventry. Please just come and listen to the Keertan and enjoy the company of the Sangat. Just to stress the point this is a Gurdwara Programme for the Youth, nothing else. May Guru Jee bless the younger generation so that many more programmes are started in Gurdwaras for the Youth by the Youth.

Bhul Chuk Marf Karna

WaheguruJeeKaaKhalsa WaheguruJeeKeeFateh!!

:lol: