Menstruation - Mature Topic

Guest kay-ay-yoo-arr 2k6

Guest Papi

its is simply absurd to think that a bibi cannot do maharaj di seva while one is on their menstural cycle.

As princess has replied; yes, you can go like anything other day because maharaj's darbar is open to everyone at all times. However, I personally would not do maharaj di seva on those particular days because you need complete sucham. Some bibiya like to cause uproar about this issue and claim that they are being prevented from doing seva and there is lack of equality between genders but I think it is a matter of common sense. There is not sexism going on, only respect for Guru Granth Sahib Jee, do you really want to do seva of maharaj knowing there could be a breach in sucham?

3 different tuks that talk about sucham not being related to body

sUcy eyih n AwKIAih bhin ij ipMfw Doie ]

soochae eaehi n aakheeahi behan j pi(n)ddaa dhhoe ||

They are not called pure, who sit down after merely washing their bodies.

sUcy syeI nwnkw ijn min visAw soie ]2]

soochae saeee naanakaa jin man vasiaa soe ||2||

Only they are pure, O Nanak, within whose minds the Lord abides. ||2||

=====================================================

socY soic n hoveI jy socI lK vwr ]

sochai soch n hovee jae sochee lakh vaar ||

By thinking, He cannot be reduced to thought, even by thinking hundreds of thousands of times.

[wrong translation done by STTM here]. the correct translation goes something like this.

the word sochai is refering to purity here. guru sahib is saying is that this body can never become pure, even if we were to try to make it pure thousands of times

=======================================================

jil DovY bhu dyh AnIiq ]

jal dhhovai bahu dhaeh aneeth ||

You may wash this transitory body with loads of water,

suD khw hoie kwcI BIiq ]

sudhh kehaa hoe kaachee bheeth ||

but how can a wall of mud [symbolism being used for this human body] be washed clean?

now, having said that, we should definitly try to be "clean". put clean clothes, like you dont wanna be stinking when you goto gurudwara, (the reason we take off our socks and wash our feet before entering guru sahib's darbar). but true clean_ness only comes from the inside :devil:

bhul chuk maaf. guru rakha.

seva of any sort is not physical...it is all to do with your mind...if i go and clean someones shoes but have hunkaar in my mind then that cannot be classed as seva....what is your frame of mind whilst doin seva....

this one mahapurush used to use his one hand to do maharajs seva and his other for all his other daily activities(like bathing,going toilet,eating etc)....out of love and respect for maharaj...one day due to ill health he was paralised on one side of his body...so the hand on the side that he used to do his daily activities with he was not able to move....he could have decided that he would give up that part of his rehat now because this is his situation now(one that maharaj has obviously given him)...however he instead decided that he would no longer touch maharajs paviter saroop from that day....im not saying that this is they way everyone is able to be or should be....this was this saints particular sharda...and i for one have respect for it....

the point of telling this story is that everything is not black and white....personally if i am on my period and maharaj is there and seva needs to be done then i will do it...i would never abondon maharaj like that...however if there are other gursikhs ther to do that seva then i would not....because yes i feel unclean...when there is crap coming out of you....you do tend to feel that way...but that is me....everyone may not feel the same way....but who is anyomne else to judge...its in your sharda...

if there was me and another person in a room with maharaj...and i did not do seva of maharaj because of my period and the other person did...and then we were both to die...i honestly beleve maharaj would treat us both the same....becasue that person did his seva out of pya for maharaj...and at the same time...the raeson i did not do that seva was out of pyar for maharaj...ultimately i think it comes down to pyar and sharda...

sorry for mistakes

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

just read the posts of papi and Tanu kaur

true sharda is us follow wht Gurbani says... not what our mind thinks is pure and not pure

also about bathin or washing hands nd face etc before doing path or anything like that:

reasons we do that :

1. to wake our selves up (or feel fresh/awake. u can test it. when u really tired take a shower/bath or spinkle some water and see the diff)

2. take off the germs, oils etc off of our hands so that the paper gurmukhi is written on can last longer

bhul chuk muaff karni

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

Guest Papi
2. take off the germs, oils etc off of our hands so that the paper gurmukhi is written on can last longer

:ysad: i wasn't expecting that from you

Guest Guest

Bibian can still go to the Gurdwara on their period, nothing wrong with that.

When we do Maharaj's Seva though (e.g. sitting on Tabia, being close to Maharaj, etc.), out of our LOVE and RESPECT we should try to keep our bodies are physically clean as possible, and more importantly keep our minds as clean as possible. It is still extremely important (out of genuine love for Guru ji and His greatness) to keep our bodies clean as much as possible when doing Guru ji's seva.

For example: why do you have to do kesi ishnaan before sitting on Tabia? Is it a blind ritual? No! It's a way of showing respect to Guru Sahib - telling Him that we want our bodies to be completely clean when doing this seva. Also, why do we have to do kesi ishnaan after going maydan (# 2, poo) if we are to do Guru ji's seva? Because our bodies are to be cleaned! Many Singhs in their regular life will shower again after going # 2, because they want to maintain cleanliness out of love to Guru Sahib, especially if they are doing the Guru's seva.

Refraining from sitting on tabiya when you are menstruating is not crazy or sexist at all. If you really think about the love you have for Guru Sahib, it all makes sense and it is all relative. It is just about keeping the body clean, that's it. It's all about love and utter respect for Guru ji. For example, what if you were to leak by accident on the rumallas or where you are doing tabia? Anyone concerned with keeping utmost respect for Guru Sahib ji would not want this to happen, even though Guru ji is forgiving, don't we want to maintain respect for Guru Sahib? bhul chuk maaf if any of this did was not clear.

• 5 years later...
Guest Kulbir

Whoa how wrong. Islam says women are dirty and cant pray during period. Guru Nanak said why do you believe women are dirty when from this miracle the most purest and innocent child is born?

Guest Pristine

Surely im not the only one who doesn't feel unclean during their period? Im perfectly clean, i shower, i look after myself, its no different from how i feel any other day, other than a little pain.

Maharaj made me with this function, there is nothing unclean about it, its the most natural thing in the world. Its creation

menstruating is natural. salivation is natural. going to the loo is also natural. burping, farting, dirst on ur hands are also natural.

things being natural doesnt mean its not unclean!..

anyone can do naam simran any time! in any natural situation! no one is stopping anyone from doing naam simran / praying. however doing seva is a physical thing. whoever said on this forum that its to do with the mind, must be a flipin telekinetic!.. if u wana do seva with ur mind, then thas like prachaar etc. but still, while u do seva, ur mind is very importent.. hence to keep it under control.

when women come on, they can come on at anytime in the day. soon as that happens, they got to go n sort it out before doing anything else. so, if woman was on tabya, and was gona come on that day, and they were on rol (tabiya), whats she gona say to her guru? ''o hang on a minute, i gota sort myself out ill be right bak..''??????

secondly, we want everything about us to be completely clean when doing maharajz seva. this is y we go to the loo first thing in the day before naam simran, ... >and< so we can concentrate.

3rdly , most of the time, it kills like a continous knife attack being twisted inside urself at totally random moments. regardlessif its light or heavy! u reely think u can giv ur full concentration to your guru with a distraction~?? as a test, go into a club, with people getting it on, shaking you, spilingand try n do a simple chaupi sahib. then, try doing that for a full 2 hours. my point in this 3rd reason is y make it more dificult.

4th, when your on, more often than not, ur thinging about the pain. so outta respect for guru G, we always should go in wih a calm mind, 'surti full' mind, connected as much as we can be, before we go and do seva of guru G. and this cant happen if one is on the cycle.

lastly, and the most importent.

god himself has given men and women 2 types of seva. 1st type is that both gender can do it. 2nd type, only that gender can do it. doing dirty dishes / pateelae is for both. jore di seva, defo for both. prachaar, for both. etc etc.. reading from guru G is for both. but only in given circumstances (for both women, and men). meaning, rehet / razza, sucham (of all the types) and sharda-bhaavna i.e. concentration (cuz yh, u can have all the love u want, but the pain of cycle reely does get in the way).

seva of giving birth has been reserved for women only. men cant do it. this does not giv rise to inequality. the seva of 5 pyare, are for men, as women hav been given the seva (>>due to their physical body) of giving rise to life, and men, (>>due to their physical body*), hav been given the seva of giving rise to death.. and at that, not all men can giv rise to death! only a few people can. (5 pyaare). but, all women can giv rise to life. (if they cant, its cuza karam.. - karam is not the hand that the universe / god has delt you, as is misrepresented by most, it is what u have created through bad deeds. - off topic tho)

most cannot seem to accept these facts of seva.. that seva has been given to humans both >gender specifically and >non-gender specificly.

*this in itself is a big topic. but simple too.

maaf karna if i spoke too abruptly..