Menstruation - Mature Topic

Guest kay-ay-yoo-arr 2k6

Guest UKVala
Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh,

As princess has replied; yes, you can go like anything other day because maharaj's darbar is open to everyone at all times. However, I personally would not do maharaj di seva on those particular days because you need complete sucham. Some bibiya like to cause uproar about this issue and claim that they are being prevented from doing seva and there is lack of equality between genders but I think it is a matter of common sense. There is not sexism going on, only respect for Guru Granth Sahib Jee, do you really want to do seva of maharaj knowing there could be a breach in sucham?

Although I have mentioned that you shouldnt really do maharaj di seva (out of respect) this does not mean we are prevented from going to the gurdwara and getting darsan of our father. Many people think that they dont have to do their nitnem etc if they are menstruating. This is not the case. Menstruation is a natural element of the female reproductive system which has been installed into us bibiya for a reason by maharaj... we get the gift of giving birth and a maternal bond with creation for 9 months which singhs arent physically capable of doing, so please bibiya do not feel inferior to singhs - menstruation is not a burden on us. IT IS A GIFT.

Sincere apologies to anyone I may have offended.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh.

what you have said is not 100%, same can be said for singhs, there is a story on abhiyaas.co.uk about an akhand paath and a singh not showering, without going into detail all should shower and are then able to do seva.

Guest wannabe

kk, if you think about it women have a menstruation for a week every month, and in a year thats 12 weeks. The in 5 years its 60 weeks = 420 days!!!

If the purpose of us obtaining this body, is to meditate on waheguru 24/7 for our WHOLE life and you are feeling unclean doing it, imagine how much time you are wasting, you dumbos.

Waheguru gave us menstruation - do you think He really wanted it to stop us practicing out sikhi, to stop visting our Guru and doing seva?? ERM i dont thnk soo...

The only reason bibiya are discouraged to do chaur sahib di seva is incase they have a lil accident... u no wot i mean... not because they are unclean

Guest G.Kaur

Below is an e-mail I got 2 years ago.. Please read it.

-------------------------

Impurity and Women

Sunday 23rd October, 2005

Singhnee's Corner Staff Writer

(KP) -

One day I was sitting with my aunty ji whom I respected very much and thought she knew more than me about Sikh way of life. Well what happened was, she randomly started talking about women and their menses. She said it was a curse for women. She told my sister and me a story about how we women were cursed. I laughed because few weeks ago another panji/sister had just told me during Asa di // meaning of the Gurbani which is discussed in one of the next sections. I didn’t say anything at that time, because I my self was new to the path, and felt uncomfortable arguing with an older person. The story she told us was passed down by my aunt’s mother and what made it more interesting was that my aunt’s mother was amritdhari. Then it made sense why my aunt took the story so seriously, without ever considering other sources to find out the truth.

We tend to believe whatever an older person, especially amritdhari (Guru-roop) says. They, because of the respect and trust we have in Khalsa, to us seem like the best resource. It should be that way, but what we forget to do is, has the person explained to us in terms of what Gurbani says on the topic/issue.

There are a lot of women out there who do not feel comfortable doing Seva especially during their menses. A main example is sitting on the ‘tabiyaa’ (Guru Ji’s hazoori) during this time. This topic is not frequently talked about as women themselves think they are “dirty”. Why do they think they are “dirty”? The above mentioned incident should explain the reason.

There is no rule in Sikhi where it mentions not being able to pray unlike in Islam where women cannot fast or pray during this time. Why can a woman not undertake the duty of Paath because of a specific time of a month? It is not restricted to a specific number of weeks a month. It is sad to say, but most of us who call ourselves Sikhs don’t know the teaching of our own Guru Sahib Jis. Also there are not as many Granthee women as there are men, which lead us to think that “may be” men are the only ones who should do this seva.

By some unaware/unconscious people, woman is still labeled “impure”. Well lets talk about what impurity really is? The answers are all in Gurbaani and it is clearly stated that “Sootak”, impurity or pollution is in those who do not have the Lord’s name dwelling in their mind.

ਸੂਤਕਿ ਕਰਮ ਨ ਪੂਜਾ ਹੋਇ ॥

The actions of those who do not worship the Lord are polluted.

The womb of woman that sheds the egg periodically is responsible for new life on earth and in this womb the Lord places the soul:

ਮਾਤ ਗਰਭ ਮਹਿ ਜਿਨਿ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰਿਆ ॥

He cherished and preserved you in your mother's womb;

ਜੀਉ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਦੇ ਸਾਜਿ ਸਵਾਰਿਆ ॥

He blessed you with body and soul, and embellished you.

A woman is responsible for giving birth to all human life and nurturing it:

ਉਦਰ ਸੰਜੋਗੀ ਧਰਤੀ ਮਾਤਾ ॥

The womb of the great mother earth gives birth to all

Furthermore, some individuals forbid taking Amrit during menses. Giving this a thought, if the Lord created Raakt, and it is considered impurity, what about the rest of the creation? We all are born from it, (so in a sense we all are impure, and no one can ever be pure enough to take amrit or do seva. That is what Christians believe, isn’t it that you are born as a “sinner”? Are we implying the same thing? This way we all are impure, and we all should totally stop doing seva. Is this what Sikhi/Guru sahib ji is saying to us? We would if Guru Sahib Jis didn’t have anything to say about this, but He has. Every human life is made out of her Rakt Bundh and this does not make them impure. Women should accept the fact that it does not make a difference in the Love and devotion of serving the Lord. For she is pure if her mind is filled with True Love (for the Lord Vaheguru). It’s the state of mind. This is not only true for women, but for men as well. Seva is essential part of a Sikh’s spiritual life and if we deny that one of the most important aspect of Sikhi to a particular “gender” we will be doing injustice to the human kind as a whole, in addition we will be going against our own Gurus who are our only support in life. Thus, the Guru’s teachings that we so dearly were trying to keep intact, we our selves would be destroying it by not letting Kaur do seva at anytime. We will be taking away one of the right, which only our Guru Ji gave to the humankind. It’s our choice, either we keep the distorted belief we have and not let our daughters/sisters/wives do seva, or do as per Guru sahib ji’s hukum and let Kaurs follow Guru Sahib Ji’s hukum and make the janam safla (fulfill the life’s purpose). The importance of women is stated inRaag Aasaa on Angg 473 by Guru Nanak Dev Ji:

ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਮੰਦਾ ਆਖੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਜੰਮਹਿ ਰਾਜਾਨ ॥

So why call her bad? From her, kings are born.

ਭੰਡਹੁ ਹੀ ਭੰਡੁ ਊਪਜੈ ਭੰਡੈ ਬਾਝੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥

From woman, woman is born; without woman, there would be no one at all.

Panthic Weekly Editors can be reached at editors@panthic.org

http://www.panthic.org/news/133/ARTICLE/1907/2005-10-23.html

are you allowed to go to the gurudwara when ur on your period? :devil:

if not, how comes?

Too much of this nonsense is goin around! Why would having your period prevent you from going to have darshan of guru sahib. Having your period doesnt make one impure, its natural. Too much of this backward way of thinking is going around, and its up to us to stop this and spread the correct message.

vahigurujikakhalsa vahigurujikifateh!

I can't believe people have made this an issue!!!

Nothing in Sikhi I have ever come across says periods are evil, bad, unclean etc. etc.

There is no reason why ladies shouldn't attend Gurdwaras because of them or do seva.

Can we just nip this one in the bud, Sikhs are facing really serious issues and we don't need non-issues to waste our time.

Guest Guest

bibiya shouldnt do Guru Sahibs seva if on. its down to our own sharda, if we feel its ok 2 do seva in that state thats our own opinion. but i feel as a bibi we should do it if we are on.

Read Asa Di // and get your answer straight from Maharaj.

salok ma 1 ||

jae kar soothak ma(n)neeai sabh thai soothak hoe ||

gohae athai lakarree a(n)dhar keerraa hoe ||

jaethae dhaanae a(n)n kae jeeaa baajh n koe ||

pehilaa paanee jeeo hai jith hariaa sabh koe ||

soothak kio kar rakheeai soothak pavai rasoe ||

naanak soothak eaev n outharai giaan outhaarae dhhoe ||1||

Salok, First Mehla:

If one accepts the concept of impurity, then there is impurity everywhere.

In cow-dung and wood there are worms.

As many as are the grains of corn, none is without life.

First, there is life in the water, by which everything else is made green.

How can it be protected from impurity? It touches our own kitchen.

O Nanak, impurity cannot be removed in this way; it is washed away only by spiritual wisdom. ||1||

mehla 1 ||

man kaa soothak lobh hai jihavaa soothak koorr ||

akhee soothak vaekhanaa par thria par dhhan roop ||

ka(n)nee soothak ka(n)n pai laaeithabaaree khaahi ||

naanak ha(n)saa aadhamee badhhae jam pur jaahi ||2||

First Mehla:

The impurity of the mind is greed, and the impurity of the tongue is falsehood.

The impurity of the eyes is to gaze upon the beauty of another man's wife, and his wealth.

The impurity of the ears is to listen to the slander of others.

O Nanak, the mortal's soul goes, bound and gagged to the city of Death. ||2||

ma 1 ||

sabho soothak bharam hai dhoojai lagai jaae ||

ja(n)man maranaa hukam hai bhaanai aavai jaae ||

khaanaa peenaa pavithra hai dhithon rijak sa(n)baahi ||

naanak jinhee guramukh bujhiaa thinhaa soothak naahi ||3||

First Mehla:

All impurity comes from doubt and attachment to duality.

Birth and death are subject to the Command of the Lord's Will; through His Will we come and go.

Eating and drinking are pure, since the Lord gives nourishment to all.

O Nanak, the Gurmukhs, who understand the Lord, are not stained by impurity. ||3||

And here's the big boy of them all..people will use this as an interpretation to mean that women are impure....but Guru Sahib is saying that impurity comes from within. It doesn't matter how much you clean your body and think you're "sucham", if your mind is full of crap then you're still doing beadbi.

ma 1 ||

jio joroo siranaavanee aavai vaaro vaar ||

joot(h)ae joot(h)aa mukh vasai nith nith hoe khuaar ||

soochae eaehi n aakheeahi behan j pi(n)ddaa dhhoe ||

soochae saeee naanakaa jin man vasiaa soe ||2||

First Mehla:

As a woman has her periods, month after month,

so does falsehood dwell in the mouth of the false; they suffer forever, again and again.

They are not called pure, who sit down after merely washing their bodies.

Only they are pure, O Nanak, within whose minds the Lord abides. ||2||

Saloks found on Ang 472 of Guru Granth Sahib Ji