....a Few Questions....

Guest -gupt-

Guest -gupt-

waheguroo jee ka khalsa waheguroo jee kee fateh.....

erm i was just curious about a couple of questions, and i was hoping i would get the answer here...

well i was asked a few questions about sikhi which i couldn't really answer. He asked me 'Why don't you cut your hair, but you cut your nails?' and i replied that nails consist/are (of) deadcells wether on the other hand hair isn't, but he said that your hair is dead, because when u cut it you can't feel anything, therefore it is jus dead cells that grow on your head, and i just couldn't answer!

He then asked me 'why do you cover your hair?' To this i replied that i cover my hair out of respect as god has given me this gift(hair). To that he said why don't you cover your eyebrows. I said i think eyebrows have a function(but i haven't a clue) so again therefore couldn't justify my answer. He then said no it is the eyelashes which have a function to protect your eyes. The he said ' hmmm im still not convinced.'.....

At this point i had no answers to these questions.... and i was hoping the sangat could help me :@ i would be very grateful!

sorry if i said anything wrong.

waheguroo jee ka khalsa waheguroo jee kee fateh.

d_oh.gif

Guest Gupt Singhni

Q. Why don't you cut your hair, but you cut your nails?

A. Firstly we have to follow our Guru's teachings even if we don't understand it; we have to have faith in Guru Ji so that we can get to God. Secondly, hair is our God-given natural form and to change our form is going against God by not accepting his will. Thirdly, God's light abides in every hair on our body, so when we meditate on God's name the energy from God's light flows through every hair on our body. Therefore if we cut our hair it is cardinal sin and it thus breaks our connection with God. In the past it used to be shame to have your hair cut but in this Dark Age it is seen normal to cut your hair. People only change their natural form for evil and sin.

See link:

http://naam-jor.blogspot.com/2006/08/divine-hair.html

Q. Why do we cover our head?

A. Most religions cover their head as well because its a sign of respect to God. We wear a turban because it is treated in the heavenly regions as a crown which is again our God-given form. It is also to protect out hair where our hair protects our tenth gate (dhasam dhuar).

Lastly if he/she does not believe you don't argue with fools. We have faith in Guru Ji and no one can break that.

Guest _Gupt_

it isnt pratical to keep ur nails long. how will u do seva? read bani? play tabla? LOL

sikhi isn't a "one way thinking" religion. its a way of life and you have to adapt yourself to it because it's a WAY OF LIFE. i think thats the major issue that ppl dont see in sikhism. for practical reasons and keepin clean (sucham) we cut our nails. Kes on the other hand doesnt affect us in anyway. we can still do everything WITH our kes, where ever it may be. people who ask these questions dont seem to broaden their minds. tunnelvision syndrome i say LOL

as for the dastaar, just as the above post its about respect but also its our NISHANI! that we are part of the fauj, we are fighters and we stand out from the millions. we cover our heads because its our crown of our faith and that we are all the princes and princesses of sahib sri guru gobind singh ji maharaj! we stand up against in-justices. we speak out and not shy away. our dastaar protects us, and guru sahib gives us the Daya, Dharam, Himmit, Mohkam and Sahib to live our lives with sikhi.

nice 1 Gupt Singhni, you can now slap this text in (whoever asked you those questions) his/her face and Oh dont forget to mention the last part "Lastly if he/she does not believe you don't argue with fools. We have faith in Guru Ji and no one can break that." :@ will add to the slap :umm: joke slap is just a little way of me saying - talking :)

ok, imma make the answers easy. i tink the above post did it but if u dunno half the stuff she is talking about since u may be not so inot sikhi urself, (not judging just if u aren't) here are some easy answers

Q. Why dont u cut ur hair

-->sikhs beleive in being natural to the body god gave us, if we cut it it only grows back so obviously god probabaly wants us to have it

Q. Why do u cover your head

--> because our hair would be a mess and hard to take care of if it wasn't covered (with a turban)

Q. Why do u cut ur nails n not ur hair

-->because we beleive in making a truthful living n not stealing so if we did not cut our nails we wouldn't be able to make a truthful living and work. we would have to depend on other people or other forms of making money, which might not always be the righteous way

Q. why do u cover ur head hair n not ur eyebrows

--> need to find an answer w.o involving dasam dwaar cuz that gonna make people think weird things cuz it would take weeks to explain dasam dwaar, then amrit, bani, guru sahib, anand sahib.. u would need to explain A lot to proerply explain dasam dwaar

Q. What is the signifance of the turban

--> our religion does not beleive in the caste system. we beleive in the equality of all and back in the day only kings n really rich people used to wear turbans as a sign of wealthiness and royalty like a crown. Well our religion says everyone is prince because everyone has the light of god in them so basically when u get baptised in sikhism u are given the last name singh which means prince and a turban, whether u are of a very low caste or a very high caste, it does not make a difference, everyone gets treated equally.

then u could actually go into langar if u want.

--> an example of the equality in sikhism and humbleness is that anyone can go into a temple, there are no restrictions. And everyone is allowed to feast in the daily free kitchen which is offered at temples. Volunteers make food for the congregation everyday, and is mostly available 24/7 for anyone to come in at any time and eat, regardless of caste, colour, look, anything. in this free kitchen everyone sits on the floor, as a sign of equality and humility. No one eats on tables, even kings or prime ministers that go to temples must eat on the ground showing that no one is higher than the other. We eat on the same level as the lowest of the low so they dont actually feel that low anyone, they feel equal.. this is a sign of humility in sikhi

.. as well anyone can also be baptised regardless of past religion, race, colour, caste.. once u enter sikhi u have no caste, u are just a child of god as every single other person on this world which is a very big blessing in itself which is again why u are called a singh which means a prince

Q. Why do u carry a knife on u

--> as a sign of fighting against tyranny and upholding justice and truth.. Say somebody comes into the mall with a gun and i start to run away, i'll feel my kirpan and realize that it is my duty to do everything in my power to stop that person from hurting anyone.. I dont necessarily HAVE to use my kirpan and kill the guy, but moreover fight for justice to solve the situation.. When all means of peace have failed, then it is righteous to pick up the sword or the kirpan.. but that is after ALL, EVERY SINGLE means of peace have failed.. the kirpan is basically with us so incase we ever need it to or uphold justice we are always ready, not having to go look for something when someone is sticking a gun at someone else's head

Q. what is the significance of the big turban compared to the small one

--> there is no significance. small kids just usually wear the small turban because it is easier to tie for them. when they grow up and learn to tie the big one, then they tie that.. if parents teach the kids how to tie the big one when they are small then thats even better.

Q. How many gods do u have

--> we beleive in one god, the only one. He prevades everywhere and is in everything. god does not have a name, he is beyong that. he does not have a sex, caste, religion, colour, or background. He is the supreme being. u can call him wut u like, sikhs call him Vaheguru because guru means teacher and sikh means learner. Vahe means wonderful... so basically sikhs are leaners of the supreme being or the ultimate teacher, god.

p.s. these are just easy ways of answering questions from other people.. i know it is VERY brief but it answers the questions and satisfies the other person.. sikhi is weird in its way that if u want to properly explain onething, u end up explaining ten others while ur at it, in the end u leave the other person confused as to throwing so much info at them. jus keep is simple n striaght forward