Breaking the big "A"

This is an email that was sent to a young lady who’s friend was contemplating breaking her Amrit by cutting her hair, and drinking alcohol.

She was not sure as to whether or not to help her, or still be friends with her.

The message below was sent by a Singh:

I do not think your friend completely understood what taking Amrit is about...

When taking Amrit you are giving yourself to your Guru. People say it is about giving your head, actually, it's a lot more than that.

When you take Amrit you are not only giving your body, you are also giving your mind and soul (aathma) to Guru.

When you receive Amrit you say to Guru that "I am yours, I no longer belong to 'me'.

When Guru Gobind Singh Ji asked Bhai Daya Singh to give Him Amrit, this is the conversation that took place:

Guruji - "As I have given you Amrit, please also bless me with it."

Daya S - "We 5 gave our heads, what will you give?"

Guruji - "As you did, I also will give my head."

Daya S - "We as Sikhs gave our heads, You as Guru should give something more, something extra."

Guruji - "You cannot put a value on the Amrit that I have given you, but when the time comes I will place my head, and all the heads of my family members, at the feet of the Khalsa. Please bless me with Amrit."

“Moh gre meh, dhan teh man, sir lotan hee sub in hee ko”

Can you see, even Guru Maharaj gave everything to the Khalsa. Guru Gobind Singh Ji used t

o tell Bhai Gurdas ji that He wanted to grind His own body up into dust, and throw it at the feet of the Khalsa.

When you have taken Amrit you belong to a group of people that are higher than any Sant on the ladder of spirituality, only Guru and Vaheguru are higher.

When the Brahmins came to ask Maharaj about the new Khalsa, Guruji encouraged them to take Amrit. The Brahmins replied that they would not drink out of the same bowl as the low castes.

At this point Guruji erupted. He told them not to say another word. “In this life you are calling them low, in the next, you will be cleaning the feeding houses of their animals.”

It is difficult being in the roop of a Khalsa, you will feel out of place, at times you will feel low. What you have to remember is that the main purpose of this life is to join your aathma, with Parm Aathma, i.e. meeting Vaheguru, nothing else matters.

Who are we to judge? No one person should judge any other. Guru Maharaj does not say that you HAVE to do Simran, He says that you SHOULD do it. If your friend has decided to break his/her rehat, then so be it. The question she has to ask herself is where will she go now?

If she heads towards her friends, they will only accept her as long as she fits into a their way of thinking and behaving.

If she goes to her family, they want her to fit into their norms, and accept their values.

The world will call you an outcaste depending on whether you ‘fit’ into it.

The only person that I have found that hasn’t done this is Guru Maharaj. Maharaj sat with cannibals, witches, prostitutes, emperors, tyrants etc etc. All He wanted from them was pyaar. The only thing that you will leave with is pyaar (Simran).

Don’t judge your friend, don’t talk down to her, just love her. Explain to her that Maharaj understands, He will not turn His back on her, He is Love itself.

I would definitely he

lp that person. Recently a friend of mine committed all the budgit krehats. He lived the wild life for a little while, but he realised that there is nothing else out there, apart from Maharaj. I let him stay in my house for a couple of months, until he sorted himself out. He retook Amrit and became a Singh again. After about 6 months he messed everything up again.

Most people I know would have killed him, or never talked to him again, but I still have pyaar for him. It is in Gurus hands as to who takes, or breaks, Amrit, all we can do is ardaas.

When we see Maharaj we should tell Him to help us. When I took Amrit, I told Maharaj that He had to guide me. I knew I would mess up at some point, but it was His responsibility to help me. He is Guru, He guides.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to chat about.

Akaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fateh Ji