Rastas And Sikh

Manchester_Sikhi

Whilst listening to an internet radio station, I overheard a song being played which focused on the unity of certains teachings between Rastafarians and Sikh, with particular emphasis on the hair (Rasta's also keep the hair and beard).

I found an interesting quote from Wikipedia which reads as follows:

"....The wearing of dreadlocks is very closely associated with the movement, though not universal among (or exclusive to) its adherents. Rastas believe dreadlocks to be supported by Leviticus 21:5 ("They shall not make baldness upon their head, neither shall they shave off the corner of their beard, nor make any cuttings in the flesh.") and the Nazarite vow in Numbers 6:5 ("All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the LORD, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.")..... "

Just wanted to share that interesting viewpoint with you, I shall look into this idea of not cutting the hair on the head as stated in Leviticus and keep you posted.

LOL, trust someone to jump straight onto the negative!!!

Of course they are well known for smoking weed etc etc.

It was just interesting to see a quote like that in the Bible/Torah, if somehwat vague!!!!

LOL, trust someone to jump straight onto the negative!!!

Of course they are well known for smoking weed etc etc.

It was just interesting to see a quote like that in the Bible/Torah, if somehwat vague!!!!

Before anyone starts pointing their fingers at Rastas remember that our own Nihungs are notorious for taking weed "milkshakes" (sukha parsaad), sometimes even starting the day on the stuff.

and i thought it was the pakandi nungs who have that drink? i'm confused please elaborate

I'm no expert but apparently nihungs have been taking the stuff for centuries, so its not just a modern phenomena at least according to some contemporary European accounts. Anyway my point was not to judge Rastas like you seemed to be doing. It is their own subheachar and they are entitled to it. It doesn't harm Sikhs.

Personally I've always been struck by some of the similarities between Sikhs and Rastas. A Jamaiccan friend once told me that a proper rasta was supposed to be vegetarian and live in the hills and grow his own food (aital). Plus the weed shouldn't be abused but used in small amounts to help to meditate in some spiritual way.

Plus lets face it, reggae is just cool...especially some of that conscious dub stuff......