Kirpan Law

Fear NOBODY

vjk vjkf

sorry to bring this up again ino this topic has been discussed before but can you please state the law of a kirpan

because i was in my full bana the other day and i had a full size sashtar on and the officer stoped me and said to me you are onli aloud to wear one 4 cermonial events or religous events

you cannot just normally go out and wear this ... he neva arressted me but asked if i could take my siri shaib home by car which i refused and went to the gurudwara... i would lyk to see the law statiing if your aloud ne size sastar if their is such a law ...

thank you very much

vjk vjkf

if ur from the UK (yyeeeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh woohoo.gifwoohoo.gif ) then there is a law of a 3 inch blade length:

Under the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (section 139) and Criminal Justice 1996 (section 3 and 4) allows anyone to carry a blade exceeding the length of 3 inches for religious, cultural or work related reasons. The Criminal Justice Act and the 2003 Religious Discrimination Act safeguards the Sikhs to carry the Kirpan.

but Akali Sukha Singh carries his 3 foot Kirpan with him all the time!! so im guessing u can bend the rules!! :)

and Manvir Singh sed this to an officer dude:

Under the 1996 Criminal Justice Act, Section 129, Sikhs are allowed to wear the Kirpaan as it is part of the Sikh religion and an Article of Faith. It is not an OFFENSIVE weapon.

http://manvirsingh.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

its in southall wer i was stopped im mostly around that area... but the thing is wen i wore my full size sashtar day kept sayin ur not aloud to wer such a size i was aware that sukha singh travels to central n all ova with a big sashtar n i even tried explaining to the officer its my sikh uniform and u are aloud to wear a kirpan of ne size .. he replied to me this is not a kirpan its a sword n its offensive weapon n the public are complaining lol... i was jus walkin to the gurudwara with another singh... wats rong in that ... i would realii aprecheate it if ne 1 could sugest ne help? ... also wearing a chakar is that illegal to? been stoped for that aswel but police seem to be takin a closer eye on me now days because i tend to wear a full size sastar n in total i hav 3 kirpans ... aparently ur only aloud to wear 1 kirpan ....

ne advice on these issues hw to go abouts them?

Guest Glasgow Singh

`yeh i read that law about the kirpan, it hasnt stated anywhere that the length has to be a certain amount, it says a penknife must be 3 INCHES long and many assume that as inches and then they assume its the kirpan but no there is no restriction on length, but the person must be able to certify the reason i.e keshdhari amritdhari basikly the police are looking for you to say to them under the criminal justice act i am covered due to my religion which states for self defence i must carry a kirpan at all times, if you are further questioned by them ... askl them that if someone attacks you how will you save yourself with a toothpick? Try to be informative about the situation so that they will stop harrasing you....show them pics sites etc etc educate them that these mean much more than merely weapons.