Mahabharat And Guru Gobind Singh

The story of Ram & Sita is the Ramayana if im not mistaken. Mahabharat is an ancient Indian/Hindu epic which ends with some kind of 'great war' that sees the collapse of an era. I dont remember the exact story since like i said, its an epic and i've never read it but only read about it..

I doubt it would have any religious significance for Sikhs but please correct me if im wrong.

yes, mahabaharat is also mentioned in guru granth sahib ji, for instance.

pMcwlI kau rwj sBw mih rwm nwm suiD AweI ]

pa(n)chaalee ko raaj sabhaa mehi raam naam sudhh aaee ||

Dropadi the princess of Panchaala remembered the Lord's Name in the royal court.

check out this link for more info on mahabharat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahabharata

mahabharat has no place in sikhi

very simple

i didnt say it had anything to do with sikhi, but the fact still remains as it is a popular thing in india, guruji has used it as an example in places to explain sikhi. so we should be familiar with it as well :lol:

Dropadi the princess of Panchaala remembered the Lord's Name in the royal court.

As I remember the story (well as the BBC told it), Dropadi was lost by the five brothers to Shakuni in a gambling match. Kauravas demands that the five brothers to be stripped of their clothes to become slaves. they want to do the same to Dropadi. She turns to the King for help and to her five husbands but neither of them can do anything. Finally, she remembers Krishna and asks him to protect her modesty. As she is stripped of her sari, Krishna from his hand supplies her with more sari so her modesty is always preserved.

What is important to learn from this is that in your time of need, turn to God and remember Him.

Do not say that Mahabharat has nothing to do with Sikhi. The entire world is associated with Sikhi in some way.

As I remember the story (well as the BBC told it), Dropadi was lost by the five brothers to Shakuni in a gambling match. Kauravas demands that the five brothers to be stripped of their clothes to become slaves. they want to do the same to Dropadi. She turns to the King for help and to her five husbands but neither of them can do anything. Finally, she remembers Krishna and asks him to protect her modesty. As she is stripped of her sari, Krishna from his hand supplies her with more sari so her modesty is always preserved.

What is important to learn from this is that in your time of need, turn to God and remember Him.

Do not say that Mahabharat has nothing to do with Sikhi. The entire world is associated with Sikhi in some way.

dropadi. what was her relationship with the 5 brothers?

This Shabad is by Bhai Gurdaas Ji in Vaars Bhai Gurdaas on Pannaa 10

AMdr sBw duswsnY mQY vwl dRopqI AWdI]

a(n)dhar sabhaa dhusaasanai mathhai vaal dhropathee aaa(n)dhee||

Dragging Daropati by the hair, Dusasanai brought her into the assembly.

dUqW no PurmwieAw nµgI krhu pMcwlI bWdI]

dhoothaa(n) no furamaaeiaa na(n)gee karahu pa(n)chaalee baa(n)dhee||

He commanded his men to strip the maidservant Dropati stark naked.

pMjy pWfo vyKdy AauGt ruDI nwir ijnW dI]

pa(n)jae paa(n)ddo vaekhadhae aoughatt rudhhee naar jinaa(n) dhee||

All the five Pandavs who she was the wife of, beheld this.

AKIN mIt iDAwn Dr hwhw ikRSn kry ivllWdI]

akhee(n) meett dhhiaan dhhar haahaa krishan karae vilalaa(n)dhee||

Crying, totally dejected and helpless, she closed her eyes. Single-mindedly she invoked Krishna for help.

kpV kot auswirEn Qky dUq n pwr vsWdI]

kaparr kott ousaarioun thhakae dhooth n paar vasaa(n)dhee||

The servants were taking off the clothes from her body but more layers of clothes formed a fort around her; the servants got tired but the layers of clothes were never ending.

hQ mroVn isr Duxin pCoqwn krn jwh jWdI]

hathh marorran sir dhhunan pashhothaan karan jaah jaa(n)dhee||

The servants were now writhing and frustrated on their abortive attempt and felt that they themselves were ashamed.

Gr AweI Twkur imly pYj rhI boly SrmWdI]

ghar aaee t(h)aakur milae paij rehee bolae sharamaa(n)dhee||

On reaching home, Dropati was asked by Lord Krishna whether she was saved in the assembly.

nwQ AnwQW bwx DurWdI ]ø]

naathh anaathhaa(n) baan dhhuraa(n)dhee ||a||

She shyly replied, “Since perennial times you are living up to your reputation of being father of the fatherless ones.”