How Many Gods

kaaur

today sum1 asked me "do u sikh's believe in one god?" n i sed yeh

ik onkar means one god doesnt it?

but then if this is the case then who is that?

is it Guru Nanak Ji seeing as thou he is the founder of sikhi

or the Guru Granth Sahib seeing as thou that is who we follow now?

Basic spiritual beleive in Sikh Dharam.

Sikhi beleives in God does not incaranate fully but God transcedents his attributes in his creation. For eg- Guru's in their physical form when they came in this world had most (99.99%) attributes but not all attributes of Nirgun Paratama(God which we cannot see). Because to make it 100 % we are directly contradicting teachings of sri guru nanak dev ji in moolmantar and jaap sahib where we are given some information on nirgun paratma by guru sahiban themselves..

- Sikhi beleive in advait worship - worship only one creator, seeing that one creator in his creation (Parbhram Upasana).

- Sikhi beleive God has two forms- one form which does not change (Nirguna-orginal form) ie- God- indescrible, unreachable, limitless ,timeless etc, and second form is sarguna (the one which we can see), God transform it's attributes in sargun form. Sargun form can be considers as Guru Avtar, Nit Avtar (Sants/Saints) etc.

- Sikhi beleive only way to get to God, is via Grace of Guru from social religious perspective- grace of Satguru Nanak in Sikh Dharma, from spiritual aspect meaning of Guru can be broaden to any person who brings one from darkness into light. But that does not mean, one should not make a effort by thinking - i m going to get grace one day regardless without making any effort , that means one should defaniately make a effort to acquire grace of Guru by listening and following discourses of Guru. Eg- taking amrit is only step as like admission to school, there are many grades, many levels one has to pass before getting grace of Satguru Nanak.

Guest Khalsa Productions

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Vaheguru Ji, Allah, Raam, God, ect. is our god. There is one god but of differnt names. Nobody knows the shape or form of Vaheguru Ji. The 11 Guru's were god in human form once you are 1 god you are god god come back to earth sometimes as a king as begger as a Sadhu ect.

Namstand is complicating things far too much.

Sikh concept of God is simple.......it is around us within us. It is everywhere. It is beyond time, it is time, it beyond space, it is space.

How do we realise and see this God.......we control and subdue, Kaam, Krodh, Moh, Lobh and Hankaar, and move to the phase pf the Gurmukh or God-realised.

Think of a Radio station that has many stations, but there is one in a small space that is the best. Think of us as humans being radio's and tuning into that one station (God realised), and in order to do it you have to filter out the other station (Kaam, Krodh, Moh, Lobh and Hankaar).

Guest Khalsa Productions

Namstand is complicating things far too much.

Sikh concept of God is simple.......it is around us within us. It is everywhere. It is beyond time, it is time, it beyond space, it is space.

How do we realise and see this God.......we control and subdue, Kaam, Krodh, Moh, Lobh and Hankaar, and move to the phase pf the Gurmukh or God-realised.

Think of a Radio station that has many stations, but there is one in a small space that is the best. Think of us as humans being radio's and tuning into that one station (God realised), and in order to do it you have to filter out the other station (Kaam, Krodh, Moh, Lobh and Hankaar).

well said

There is only ONE God and ONE Satguru. Satguru has existed since the start of time and is ONE with God.

As far as my understanding goes, Satguru is part of God and is the means by which we can unite with him.

An example that works for me is as follows: I want to meet my father. How will I be able to accomplish this? My father will extend his hand to me and I will grab it. Satguru is like the hand of God. It is the means by which we can attach ourselves to Vahiguru. If someone asks is your father then a hand? No. But that hand is part of my father and really has no identity separate from him.

Or if it works better for you, you can consider Satguru like the voice or word of God by which he directs us back to him. Is the voice part of God? Of course. The voice doesn't exist separately or without God.

So to summarise, Satguru is only ONE and is part of God. Satguru is not a human but a jot (light). Satguru's form is Shabad (the word of God). During the time between 1469-1708, the shabad was housed in physical human bodies (but only ONE Satguru and only ONE jot passed from body to body). In the present time, that Shabad/Jot resides in the physical form of Satguru Granth Sahib. Satguru is one with God (just like my father's hand is part of my father) and that part of God which unites us with him through naam and shabad.

god is nirgun sroop sarab kalla dhar .... avtars are sargun sroop with few kallas .... like bhagwan ram 14 kalla avtar .... bhagwan krishen 16 kalla avtar .... guru nanak sarb kalla avtar ....

amen to that :D

There is only ONE God and ONE Satguru. Satguru has existed since the start of time and is ONE with God.

As far as my understanding goes, Satguru is part of God and is the means by which we can unite with him.

An example that works for me is as follows: I want to meet my father. How will I be able to accomplish this? My father will extend his hand to me and I will grab it. Satguru is like the hand of God. It is the means by which we can attach ourselves to Vahiguru. If someone asks is your father then a hand? No. But that hand is part of my father and really has no identity separate from him.

Or if it works better for you, you can consider Satguru like the voice or word of God by which he directs us back to him. Is the voice part of God? Of course. The voice doesn't exist separately or without God.

So to summarise, Satguru is only ONE and is part of God. Satguru is not a human but a jot (light). Satguru's form is Shabad (the word of God). During the time between 1469-1708, the shabad was housed in physical human bodies (but only ONE Satguru and only ONE jot passed from body to body). In the present time, that Shabad/Jot resides in the physical form of Satguru Granth Sahib. Satguru is one with God (just like my father's hand is part of my father) and that part of God which unites us with him through naam and shabad.

amen to that, this is pretty much i was saying. Thanks for putting it in simple way d_oh.gif