What it is Sohila or Kirtan sohila ?

bsbk123

Waheguru Jee ka Khalsa, Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh

SadhSangat Jee, Please educate me on the following :

- What do u think the Bani name to be recited at the time of sleeping is SOHILA or Kirtan SOHILA ? Pls explain the reason jee.

- What message did this Bani gives us and how its linked with our sleep and need to do at the time of sleeping only ?

- Who composed Rehars & Sohila Bani (bcoz it contain bani from different guru sahiban jee) , I mean we know in our Nitname, Japji Sahib by Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee, Jaap Sahib, Saviyey and Choupai Sahib by Guru Gobind Singh Jee, Anand Sahib by Guru Amardass Jee.

Bhul chuk maaf

Waheguru jee ka khalsa, Waheguru jee kee fateh

Dass Bhupender Singh

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I can answer your first question. In all Guru Granth Sahib Jee Saroops It is written "SOHILA: RAAG GAURI DEEPKI MAHALA 1" I have no idea where the kirtan came from and neither do gursikhs I have asked.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh

- Who composed Rehars & Sohila Bani (bcoz it contain bani from different guru sahiban jee) , I mean we know in our Nitname, Japji Sahib by Guru Nanak Dev Sahib Jee, Jaap Sahib, Saviyey and Choupai Sahib by Guru Gobind Singh Jee, Anand Sahib by Guru Amardass Jee.
First two pauris of Sohila Sahib are by Guru Nanak Sahib ji, 3rd by Guru Amar Daas Ji, 4th by Guru Raam Daas Ji and 5th by Guru Arjan Sahib ji. Who composed Rehraas Sahib? Hmm, this answer could vary according to the Rehraas Sahib u do. hehe. j/k (but this is serious). You can tell what part of Rehraas Sahib is composed by which Guru by looking at Mehal number of Patshahi for Dassam Pitta. As for the Saloaks/Doheras/Chands which come after Chaupae Sahib and before Anand Sahib, they are most probably all composed by Guru Gobind Singh Ji except for a couple. You should check on this on Sikhi to the Max or some or source similar to this.
- What message did this Bani gives us and how its linked with our sleep and need to do at the time of sleeping only ?

This was posted on akj.org/phorum a long time ago:

Kirtan Sohila: To remove the fear of death. Good to recite when your life feels boring, and you are uninspired. It multiplies your aura, eliminates negativity in you and around you, and protects you. Excellent before you sleep at night to bring restful sleep, prevent nightmares and create a shield of protection. This Bani protects the soul on its journey after it leaves the body at death. Related to earth element

I don't really know how Kirtan got attached to Sohila. Perhaps someone with gyaan could answer that question for u. I think veer ms514 posted something about this on our previous boards.

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh