[salok] Fareedhaa Khaak N Ni(n)dheeai Khaakoo Jaedd N Koe ||

Guest Papi

PrIdw Kwku n inMdIAY KwkU jyfu n koie ]

fareedhaa khaak n ni(n)dheeai khaakoo jaedd n koe ||

Fareed, do not slander the dust; noting is as great as dust.

jIvidAw pYrw qlY muieAw aupir hoie ]17]

jeevadhiaa pairaa thalai mueiaa oupar hoe ||17||

When we are alive, it is under our feet, and when we are dead, it is above us. ||17||

i kinda understand the 2nd part, where by as farid ji was a muslim he is referring to being buried whereby the dirt which was once under your feet will now come over your head as well. buh i cant help but wonder that khaak, dirt might be a metaphor for something else. :D

i personally think it is about our mortality. it doesn't matter if one is a muslim and is buried, even people who are cremated mingle with the dust or dirt. we get cremated and our ashes are spread in a river which eventually sink and mingle with the dirt.

it says your a mortal. you will perish. the body which forsakes the dirt is itself destined to be dirt. goes in line with gurmat, that the soul is eternal, the body is not.

gurbaani says something different to everyone so i hope people don't mind this moorakh's views. when it comes to gurbaani all we can do is give our opinion...

peace.

bhagat ji is saying do not slander the dust because nothing is as great as the dust

why?

we step on it,we jump, we kick, we do everything to it, but does it do anything bad to us in return?

NO

this is an example of nimartaa

When we are alive, it is under our feet, and when we are dead, it is above us. ||17||

when one dies, it covers our body when it is buried

though we have done so much to it, it never let go its gunh

this is also mentioned bhai gurdaas ji's vaaran

bhul chuk muaff

forgive me for my limited knowledge

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

in this case i don't think the dust is a metaphor for anything else. as harwinder singh said, it occupies the position underneath the feet while we live here and when we die it covers us. it's always there for us, no matter what we do to it.

...teaches us to think twice before looking down up things which we see as insignificant. their roles can be vital to us. we take things like water for granted, yet this deceptively simple, clear liquid sustains life all over the planet.

maybe someone could do vichaar on bhagat fareed ji's baani :D .

(*hint*hint*)

~l~

ok lets get started then :D here's the first tuk

ijqu idhwVY Dn vrI swhy ley ilKwie ]

jith dhihaarrai dhhan //ee saahae leae likhaae ||

The day of the bride's wedding is pre-ordained.

mlku ij kMnI suxIdw muhu dyKwly Awie ]

malak j ka(n)nee suneedhaa muhu dhaekhaalae aae ||

On that day, the Messenger of Death, of whom she had only heard, comes and shows its face.

ijMdu inmwxI kFIAY hfw kU kVkwie ]

ji(n)dh nimaanee kadteeai haddaa koo karrakaae ||

It breaks the bones of the body and pulls the helpless soul out.

swhy ilKy n clnI ijMdU kUM smJwie ]

saahae likhae n chalanee ji(n)dhoo koo(n) samajhaae ||

That pre-ordained time of marriage cannot be avoided. Explain this to your soul.

ijMdu vhutI mrxu vru lY jwsI prxwie ]

ji(n)dh vahuttee maran // lai jaasee paranaae ||

The soul is the bride, and death is the groom. He will marry her and take her away.

Awpx hQI joil kY kY gil lgY Dwie ]

aapan hathhee jol kai kai gal lagai dhhaae ||

After the body sends her away with its own hands, whose neck will it embrace?

vwlhu inkI purslwq kMnI n suxI Awie ]

vaalahu nikee purasalaath ka(n)nee n sunee aae ||

The bridge to hell is narrower than a hair; haven't you heard of it with your ears?

PrIdw ikVI pvMdIeI KVw n Awpu muhwie ]1]

fareedhaa kirree pava(n)dheeee kharraa n aap muhaae ||1||

Fareed, the call has come; be careful now - don't let yourself be robbed. ||1||

ok uh i was listening to bhagat farid's salok's this morning and when this tuk came here's what came to my mind. i think dirt is being used as a metaphor for being humble. so keeping that in mind, it says that dont slander humble beings. such beings dont say anything back when one does slander them. look, these beings are the lowest of the low while they are alive (just like dirt, always underneath) but after death they are deemed as highest of high in the court of akaal purkh.

bhul chuk maaf

guru rakha.

Papi Ji, is there an audio link to Bhagat Fareed Ji's Baani?

the couplet above reminds us that we can use everything around us to Jap Naam - for Bhagat Fareed Ji even the mud and dust invoked meditation on Maharaj.

the first verse of Bhagat Fareed Ji's Baani above, beginning "ਜਿਤੁ ਦਿਹਾੜੈ ਧਨ ਵਰੀ ਸਾਹੇ ਲਏ ਲਿਖਾਇ ॥" just shows how carried away we are with our lives. with Baani like this there's not much you can really say. sometimes it just hits you.

i'm going to re-post it just for emphasis. we can read it over and over and over and over again and it never loses any Truth and never fails to have an impact. we've wasted so much time.

ਸਲੋਕ ਸੇਖ ਫਰੀਦ ਕੇ

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਜਿਤੁ ਦਿਹਾੜੈ ਧਨ ਵਰੀ ਸਾਹੇ ਲਏ ਲਿਖਾਇ ॥

The day of the bride's wedding is pre-ordained.

ਮਲਕੁ ਜਿ ਕੰਨੀ ਸੁਣੀਦਾ ਮੁਹੁ ਦੇਖਾਲੇ ਆਇ ॥

On that day, the Messenger of Death, of whom she had only heard, comes and shows its face.

ਜਿੰਦੁ ਨਿਮਾਣੀ ਕਢੀਐ ਹਡਾ ਕੂ ਕੜਕਾਇ ॥

It breaks the bones of the body and pulls the helpless soul out.

ਸਾਹੇ ਲਿਖੇ ਨ ਚਲਨੀ ਜਿੰਦੂ ਕੂੰ ਸਮਝਾਇ ॥

That pre-ordained time of marriage cannot be avoided. Explain this to your soul.

ਜਿੰਦੁ ਵਹੁਟੀ ਮਰਣੁ ਵਰੁ ਲੈ ਜਾਸੀ ਪਰਣਾਇ ॥

The soul is the bride, and death is the groom. He will marry her and take her away.

ਆਪਣ ਹਥੀ ਜੋਲਿ ਕੈ ਕੈ ਗਲਿ ਲਗੈ ਧਾਇ ॥

After the body sends her away with its own hands, whose neck will it embrace?

ਵਾਲਹੁ ਨਿਕੀ ਪੁਰਸਲਾਤ ਕੰਨੀ ਨ ਸੁਣੀ ਆਇ ॥

The bridge to hell is narrower than a hair; haven't you heard of it with your ears?

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਕਿੜੀ ਪਵੰਦੀਈ ਖੜਾ ਨ ਆਪੁ ਮੁਹਾਇ ॥੧॥

Fareed, the call has come; be careful now - don't let yourself be robbed.

hanji. goto proudtobesikh.com

goto the katha jukebox. on the 2nd page, click on Giani Sant Singh maskin then bhagat farid's katha is # 11. i havent heard this yet. i used to have tapes i think like 6 volumes of maskin ji's katha on bhagat farid. buh i cant find it now :D