Essential To Keep Hair?

KFI

Dass has seen lots of people wanting to keep hair, may it be Bibis or guys, but they just need that extra help and boost to do so. Dass has seen and dealt with a few people who think keeping hair is not necessary, this article was something that Dass was looking for in order to show people another way to look at why Sikhs keep our hair, and many Sikhs are asked why do you keep your hair? Many just say It’s apart of my religion, or "God made us like this". Many will argue the significant of hair, the purpose, there is not much online either, Health-wise hair growth is due to testosterone hormone in men, and lack of this in women is what makes their facial hair controlled, etc. Although, there is known to be some other effects of hair such as keeping you warm, while some argue it has something to do with light being absorbed, etc.

If you are aware of topics in psychology, it is well known the brain does billions of calculations, out of 5,000 billion calculations, we as humans only know about 2,000, that have a purpose, either it being memory, retrieving information, solving, analyzing, observing, compiling, controlling our organs, blood flow, pressure levels, growth, etc some calculations have no reason, Some also argue that these calculations is our brain collecting data, that may not currently affect us, for example, If you are looking for something, the image of what you want to see is made in your brain, and although you may be looking around, looking for maybe a pair of keys, everything else that you come across stays in your brain, for example, When you take a picture of someone, Although the picture itself focuses on the person, The tree, person walking in the background, etc all gets captured, Look at the eye itself in this way, when we look for things, other things are caught in our brain, maybe this can explain the phenomenon of dejavu.

Back on topic, The purpose of explaining that was to give a brief introduction to what's below, We as humans still don't know everything in the world, everything develops, and our knowledge of space, planets grows day-by-day, as many argue we are eliminating natural resources, we are wasting and abusing our sources, polluting the air, You learn something new at school, but come home and your ego takes over and makes you think now you are full of knowledge you know everything, you go to school again the next day, to slap yourself and realize we didnt know everything, everything isnt discovered Other than issues that affect the world like pollution, corruption, wars, What kinds of things do we pollute within ourselves? Our thoughts and actions are just two of many things that we directly abuse.

A good example of self-abuse is cutting of kes. Many look at hair as something "extra", the "dust" on our heads that we can just take off in order to be clean. Dass can't argue with such people and cannot change their views on kes, but someone who some consider a Sant, had his own views, Bhai Sahib Randeer Singh on why one should keep and maintain their hair:

One incident that happened in Bhai Randheer Singh's life while he was in jail.

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: Is it very essential to keep your head on your shoulders?

Mr. Gupta: The body cannot survive without the head.

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: But supposing the body survives after the head is cut off, would you cut off your head.

Mr. Gupta:The head is a part of the body and a very prominent part of it. It is only the head that completes the body. Without the head the body cannot be what it is?

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: Have you created the head on the body?

Mr. Gupta: No, God has created it, and placed it on my shoulders.

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: Because God has given you this head, therefore, you feel it to be an essential part of your body. Had it been made by you and placed on your shoulders, you could conveniently take it off, whenever you wished to do so.

Mr. Gupta: Yes, of course. But we cannot remove what has been given to us by God.

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: Supposing someone cuts off your God-given head, what would you call him?

Mr. Gupta: Murderer, killer, and slayer.

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: If some one questions you, why have you kept your head on your shoulders, what would you say?

Mr. Gupta: It would be very foolish of that person to put such a question.

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: Just as God has given us this head and made it a part of our personality, so are hair given by God and made part of our personality. As the hair is also given by God, the question you have posed, "why it is essential to keep them is not tenable. The question is out of place. I have not created these hairs myself. God gave them to me and I have kept them. Just as God has given us the head, and we keep it, so also the hair on the head has been given to us by God and we keep it. So it is the duty of everyman and woman to preserve and

Maintain them. You call a man who cuts off a person's head, a murderer, a slayer, a killer, would you not consider a man who removes his hair equally cruel? Is not one who destroys a God-given gift an important part of our personality, a blood-thirsty oppressor? I think he is.

Mr. Gupta: You cannot call him a murderer; you can call him by any other name.

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: Why not a blood-thirsty murderer?

Mr. Gupta: Because when you cut hair, no blood comes out.

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: So you think that when no blood comes out, and when some one destroys a part of our body, it is not cruelty, and least of all murder. Supposing some one strangles a person, would you not call It a murder? No blood comes out and the man is killed. I do not wish to prolong any discursive discussion, but you will admit that nowadays so many methods have been devised to kill man that not a drop of his blood comes out. Would you not call these murderers killers, and blood-thirsty slayers? What else would you call them?

Mr. Gupta: But Sir, excuse me, if I say, that when you cut off the head of a person, you cannot replace it, but if you cut off the hair of a person they grow again. A dead man never comes to life, but when we destroy living hair, new ones grow in its place. There is a good deal of difference between cutting one's head and cutting one's hair. Even if both are crimes, there is vast difference between the two crimes.

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: Do you believe in the transmigration theory.

Mr. Gupta: Yes, I do believe in transmigration theory.

BHAI RANDHEER SINGH: Then according to that theory, you do not die even when your head is cut off. The soul (Atman) is born again. So those who murder, kill nothing. The soul is eternal. They relieve a person of one birth in a cycle of births. By doing so they indirectly do well. But the man does not die after being killed. He will be born again and again. This is what actually happens. Yet he who kills commits a futile act, he does not do good. So they who cut their hair again and again do no good, nor is there any virtue it. The hair that is cut again and again just as a man who is killed, is born again and again. The only difference is that the soul may be born in different forms and may be even born as an animal. The hair of the head continues to grow when cut. Man foolishly cuts the hair and it grows again. That is how nature slaps the fool who goes against its requirement. Thus the attempt of a man to destroy his hair completely is as futile as to kill a man or animal. The life and Spirit of the Atman survives as long as the Spirit and vital force of God is present in it. Similarly the living essence of the hair will continue to be there as long as the body and head survive with the Spirit of God. The hair of the body is to be preserved and kept clean just as Nature has created them. The hair of the head grows to a natural length. Beyond a certain length they do not grow. Those who put on artificial hair to bring them to a fashionable length go against nature and do a foolish thing. Women do not grow any beard on their faces. If any woman wants, she cannot. Just as it is unnatural to try to develop beards on the faces of women, it is unnatural and wrong to destroy the natural hair that grows on men's head. Men naturally grow beards on their faces. But the fashionable people shave it every morning. Every morning nature slaps them on the face by resisting their attempt to remove the beard, but they are unconscious of it. They want to make their faces look exactly like those of women. Men have gone against nature by shaving their beard and appearing like women and gained nothing. Unfortunately women have started cutting short the hair of their head like men, in order to look like men. They too have gained nothing. I think it is utter shamelessness for men to try to imitate women and for women to imitate men. The real question should be, "why is this God given gift, the natural hair and beard removed," but those who do so against the wishes of nature start questioning the other way round. The unfortunate thing is that the majority of the people are shaving these days and this sheep-like imitation and fashion to remove the hair and beard is deemed as the natural law. There are very few who obey the essential laws of nature in this connection. Apart from the Sikhs there are very few who keep hair and beard. Those who spoiled their manly appearance and personality given by nature, are unconscious of their own folly in distorting their appearance but they are shocked to see a man keeping hair and beard, and do not hesitate to ask him : "Is it essential to keep hair and beard ?" They suddenly become unconscious of the fact that hair is a part of the whole body and grows on every pore of the body. Those who are pure in body, mind and soul, and those who know something about sciences know that to remove bodily hair from the whole of our body is crime against health. You have taken up discussion on a subject on which many articles and even a book can be written. Neither you have time to enter into such a long discussion nor am I free to do so. Such discursive discussions and questions are generally raised by Arya Samajists. Have you at any time fallen under their evil influence?

Mr. Gupta (laughing): I am not the type of Hindu, the staunch Arya Samajists are, nor do I believe in any discursive discussion. I was attracted a bit towards Arya Samaj. I put the question out of curiosity and not with the intention of debating about it in an injurious way. I really wanted to know something about it. Although you have used some strong words in your discussion, yet Your arguments have impressed me. Many of my doubts have been cleared. I hope when you are released you will write excellent book on the subject and get it translated in other languages to explain it to the world at large. Your argument of fashionable and sheep-like imitation is correct. Our Rishis, Munis, Avatars and Prophets used to keep hair and beard. We have clear cut evidence up to period of Mahabharata. Brahamins, Kshatriyas, and Peshwas in our ancient history kept hair and beard. God alone knows when the custom of shaving began in India. From the Mahabharata and other Indian literature of the period we learn that removal of the hair or beard was considered worst punishment than death. When Shri Krishna on the recommendation of his espouse Rukmani, reduced the death sentence of her brother Rukman to the punishment of removing his hair and beard, Rukman in a pitiable tone appealed to his sister Saying:

"0 Rukmani you are not my sister; you are my enemy. You have got my death sentence repealed and got for me a greater punishment of removing my hair and beard. To remove my hair and beard would be far more painful and tortuous than killing me. “Your ideas are indeed very enlightened and you are indeed a true Sikh living according to the highest principles of your faith. No one has ever given so convincing reply to my question. For a seeker even one good argument is enough. Now a good deal of time has elapsed. My namaste to you. We will meet again. I greeted him. "Again, we may never get a chance to discuss anything-" I said. Mr. Gupta was indeed a very noble soul. We never got a chance to hold discussion again.

Same file in .doc format attached.

RandhirSingh_Hair_Importance_KhalsaForceNetwork.doc

• 2 weeks later...