Meditation and Bhuddists

Ryu Hayabusa

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Buddhists are actually agnostics (One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something ). They are not exactly atheists. Whenever anyone asked Buddha about GOD, He kept quite, and so the questioner thought that probably Buddha didn't believe in GOD. But actually Buddha's point was that we can't say anything about GOD. No matter what we say, we are reflecting our own limited human comprehension.

hope that helped :@

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Buddhists are actually agnostics (One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something ). They are not exactly atheists. Whenever anyone asked Buddha about GOD, He kept quite, and so the questioner thought that probably Buddha didn't believe in GOD. But actually Buddha's point was that we can't say anything about GOD. No matter what we say, we are reflecting our own limited human comprehension.

hope that helped :@

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

WOW, thanks Bro. For some reason I thoguht Bhuddists beleived in nothingness.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Buddhists do believe in No-Thingness.They call It Shunya, it is written as Sunn in Gurbani.

Vahiguru is the Great No-Thingness, where not even nothing exists, where not even emptiness has any potency.

I once came across the following quote whilst browsing the internet, it's stuck in my mind ever since:

In the beginning there was nothing, not even nothing...

Reference is made to Sunn and Nirvan in Gurbani.Look at the following Ang of Satguru;

For Nirvan/Nirvan/Nibban: p.444 Mahala 4, p.219

For Sunn: p.943 Mahala 1 (Siddh Gost)

What is this Absolute-Void? :T:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

pyare jio, I have always had a lot of respect for buddhists, and found them to be very nice people.

This interest later led me to read the life story of Buddha. I originally thought it would be profound, like our Guru Kian sakhees. But was quite dissappointed. It was very dry and basic.

Later our leeds and bradford sikh youth group members, met some buddhists and had debates with them, very amicable, both very interested in learning more about each other.

They were amazed when they heard about sikhi, and in particular Amrit vela. Ours starts between 2-3 am, and theres starts about 7-9 am. When they found out about deep sikhi actually was, they could not believe it.

The problem is that we have such bad PR on sikhi. No-body knows how profound it is. Buddhism is largely respected throughout the world, mainly due to the wonderful work of the dalia lama. He is a world personality, which is exactly what our jathedars of the Takhts should be, but are not, in fact many are not even personalities in the panth.

Sikhs does not to promote itself, if it really wishes to do justice to our Guru Jis message.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

WELL SAID JAGJIT WAHEGURU JI!!! ^_^

I look at it this way, say you have a precious jewel, and it can make you the richest man in the world, would you share this wealth with anyone? Its the same with Sikhi, some people take it to be that pricelss jewel, to which they get soooooo attached that they don't feel like sharing it..

Guru Nanak Dev ji went on Udasis to share Sikhi, and the entire concept of it. But these days, people can't even look past the appearance of Sikhs, due to their ignorance, how will they ever want to share that jewel??

For them its that same priceless jewel covered by dust, who can't look beyond it into the core, and admire its beauty. Its all their bad karm I guess..

Bhul chuk maaf!!

Sat Sri Akal:

The Buddhist texts Dhammapada and the Eightfold Path essentially are aimed towards eradication of all desires. According to Buddha, a person who has no desires shall attain Nirvana as those things that cause sadness are materialism. Essentially, they are tyaagis -those who have forsaken everything in the world.

Had an interesting conversation about this with my dad. He had also read Buddhist texts and concluded the same, that Buddhists are tyaagis. Then he made an interesting statement on Sikhism. He stated that a Sikh is a tyaagi of tyaag - one who has forsaken the path of forsakenness. In a Sikh, even the drive to be a tyaagi is gone, for to have tyaag requires a mind that avoids materialism. In a Sikh, the mind is completely dissolved into the Almighty's Will, which is attuned to do only what the Guru commands. The only thing of importance to a Sikh is the Guru's command and nothing else.

I am only partially able to understand this concept, but it is a loaded one at that.

He stated that a Sikh is a tyaagi of tyaag - one who has forsaken the path of forsakenness. In a Sikh, even the drive to be a tyaagi is gone, for to have tyaag requires a mind that avoids materialism. In a Sikh, the mind is completely dissolved into the Almighty's Will, which is attuned to do only what the Guru commands. The only thing of importance to a Sikh is the Guru's command and nothing else.
makes perfect sense wubb.gif^_^

Here's a quote from a book I'm reading, I swear this has got to be one of the most informative, and interesting books out there that compares Sikhi to other religions..Its like a bible for Sikhs, bible meaning things you need to know not something you follow..

The book is called

SIKHISM: A Comparative Study of its Theology and Mysticism

By: Several authors

Man, its just toooooo interesting the authors have given very thorough thought into the mysticism of other major world religions, it discusses several hindu texts, bits of quran/sufism, buddhism, and other concepts similar in all the religions..

Here's a quote on Zen Buddhism who beleive in earlier said "nothingness"..

Zen has been defined as, "outside teaching, apart from tradition, not founded on words, pointing directly, seeing in one's mind and attaining Buddhahood" Perfect Tao (peace) involves no picking and choosing. The bringing of the mind under control, as practised in India, is contrary to Zen. Zen lets it go and lets it to be alone. Satori could occur without the direction of a master. In Zen the highest state of consciiousness is empty of content, ideas and feelings. True mind is no mind. There is nothing to perfect of purify it. It is pure already. It is not the object of thought and action. The attempt to work on the mind is evtering a vicious circle. All effort is grasping and defeats the purpose. It is self-righteous to be methodical. It is no use to sit and bind the body so as

to concentrate and do meditation. The cultivation of concentration is wrong from the very start. One should neither avoid false thoughts nor seek true ones, as ignorance is Buddhahood. Tao is not knowing. Knowing is false understanding. Tao is like the empty sky. It is no use dragging it in the realm of the rigfht and the wrong. By wanting to be in accord, one deviates from the truth. By seeking, one produces the contrary effect. It is like pressing a part of the water in a trough in order to bring it in level. It is already level. The pressing only disturbs its equilibrium and defeats the purpose.

This I thought was very very interesting, and its only a part of their thinking, this "nothingness" we call goes very deep for Zen Buddhists, so I highlighted it to come back and try to understand what they meant.

Later on in the book, the author specifically shows how this methodology is distorted through pages, just prooving their lack of knowledge.

The main points that the author shows and some I've added is that:

1) Zen Buddhists always are striving to make themselves attain "Satoa" (peace), never thinking about the world, which they call suffering, therefore they are tied down to haumen (ego), because they can't see past their own well being..

2) This wonderous creation we see around us, nature, people, love, and soooo many other universes, are NOT a mere "suffering", yet they are God's creation, and how can you call such a beautiful creation, a mere "suffering", therefore that view is also flawed.

3) For meditation, your mind requires you to focus, than to make it wander, and as stated in the last post, a Sikh's mind is so attuned to WAHEGURU, that he/she controls their mind.