Three Young Gursikhs Pass Away In Lake District Tragedy

Golee Maro

Satvir Singh was unable to swim but they only went to bathe in the water. The other two took him along and they went with their arms locked. Satvir was in the middle, with Harvinder Singh on one side, and Tajinder Singh on the other.. They had a lot of love for each other. In one area of the lake, theres a 18-20 feet drop. So whilst they were walking, its like the ground just disappeared beneath their feet. They were unable to recover from the slip and tried desperately to save each other - Harvinder and Tajinder were trying to save Satvir from drowning and wouldnt leave him. When their bodies were recovered by the rescue teams, they said they found them at the bottom still with their arms locked with each other...

Satvir Singh was unable to swim but they only went to bathe in the water. The other two took him along and they went with their arms locked. Satvir was in the middle, with Harvinder Singh on one side, and Tajinder Singh on the other.. They had a lot of love for each other. In one area of the lake, theres a 18-20 feet drop. So whilst they were walking, its like the ground just disappeared beneath their feet. They were unable to recover from the slip and tried desperately to save each other - Harvinder and Tajinder were trying to save Satvir from drowning and wouldnt leave him. When their bodies were recovered by the rescue teams, they said they found them at the bottom still with their arms locked with each other...

pray.gif WAHEGURU WAHEGURU WAHEGURU WAHEGURU WAHEGURU pray.gif

WJKK WJKF

Waheguru decides when we come, for what reason He sends us and the time that He calls us. The youthful souls are with Waheguru and are guiding their familes and loved ones through this difficult time. We are unable to attend the keertan at the gurdwara but the family and friends are in our prayers constantly. Waheguru provides you with a blanket of support, strength and love through fellows Sikhs, friends and family. Much love and strength

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I did not personally know the 3 GurSikhs and only know what I read in the newspapers this morning. From what I read this morning one of the GurSikhs got into difficulty in then lake as he fell into deeper water and the other chardi kala GurSikhs drowned as they helped him. The GurSikhs gave their lives for each other in true spirit of the chardi kala Khalsa. This is a true portrayal of the love GurSikhs should have for each other. Many of us, including myself, cannot even comprehend putting our life in danger for another.

Sometimes we forget we are a brotherhood and turn our backs on each other because of our own egos. We are so fast to attack the other Sikh because we don’t agree with their background or jatha or even “caste”. These true GurSikhs have shown us how we should be with each other, how much love we should have with each other, so much so we should be willing to give our lives for each other.

Looking at the pictures I remember meeting the young GurSikh Hervinder Singh from the Sikh Fed Convention last year. A group of us came as part of the Respect For Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Campaign and he helped us hand out flyers to the sangat at Sedgley Street Gurdwara, it’s strange but I remember him clearly.

GurFateh!

waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh

dont take the passing away of these 3 young sikhs as something sad

take it as an example of how we wish to live the rest of our lives

i saw harveinder just a few weeks ago, wehn i took amrit

he was glowing with love for sikhi

was wkd stuff

we should all work to reach the point that they reached

the point when we dont fear death because were dying for the opportunity to do seva

the opportunity to save a life

WaheGuru

SSNews tribute to those who passed on:

http://www.sikhsangat.org/publish/article_1382.shtml

ullswater.jpgThree young GurSikh men sadly passed away in the bitterly cold waters of Ullswater after a boating trip in the Lake District turned to catastrophe. The victims were part of a group of six who had spent Saturday afternoon enjoying the warm weather and the tranquillity of the lake. After returning their hire boats, they went back to the lake, stepping fully-clothed into the knee-high water near the shoreline to play about.

As they swam Satvir Singh was in the middle, with Harvinder Singh, on one side, and Tajinder Singh on the other supporting him. However, Satvir Singh stepped off a shelf they were standing on and, unable to swim, became submerged in at least 18ft of deep, cold water. Three of his friends, without fearing for their own lives immediately followed in to swim and rescue him but tragically also got into difficulties. They had a lot of love for each other. Harvinder and Tajinder were trying to save Satvir from drowning and would not leave him. When their bodies were recovered by the rescue teams, they said they found them at the bottom still with their arms locked with each other.

The three victims of the accident - Harvinder Singh, 15, Satvir Singh, 17, and Tajinder Singh, 21, from Wolverhampton - were staying in the nearby village of Glenridding.

According to the local coastguard, the incident is the worst tragedy on the area's lakes for 17 years. Members of the public and a lake warden went into the water to help after the alarm was raised, and they were able to rescue a 15-year-old boy. He was taken to hospital and his injuries are understood not to be life-threatening.

Zak Ratcliffe, 26, who works at Saint Patrick's Boat Landing, 50ft from where the three young men drowned, had earlier hired three boats to the group.

"They were in a big circle holding hands - I think there were about 20 of them in the group. A woman shouted to me, 'There's somebody drowning over there'. I got to the shore and there was a boy coughing up water. I got in a boat and went in after them, but the water was so black you couldn't see anything. I felt bad that I couldn't do more."

Mr Ratcliffe said he jumped into the water to try to rescue them. "I have since been told it was the wrong thing for me to do and it put me in danger," he added.

Some locals expressed concerns that there were no signs at the lake warning of the shallow water suddenly becoming deep. One shopkeeper, who did not want to be identified, said: "It looks shallow, but after about 20ft it just drops away."

dsc00023.jpg

Tajinder Singh (left) and Satvir Singh (right)

Graeme Connacher, HM Coastguard station officer for the north Lakes area, described the accident as "the worst tragedy I have known on these lakes in 17 years".

All three are described as charismatic GurSikh Amritdharis that has a lot of love for their Sikh religion and community. Tajinder Singh, the eldest, like the others was very active in selfless service. Satvir Singh had taken Amrit a few weeks prior and was described as full of energy. Harvinder Singh was well known for his excellent skills in Gatka, the traditional Sikh martial arts and other sports as well as for being an uplifting positive person.

satvir_harvinder2006.jpg

Satvir Singh (left) and Harvinder Singh (right)

This Shabad is by Guru Arjan Dev Ji in Raag Raamkalee on Ang 883 of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj:

rwmklI mhlw 5 ]

raamakalee mehalaa 5 ||

Raamkalee, Fifth Mehla:

Awvq hrK n jwvq dUKw nh ibAwpY mn rognI ]

aavath harakh n jaavath dhookhaa neh biaapai man roganee ||

Coming does not please me, and going does not bring me pain, and so my mind is not afflicted by disease.

sdw Anµdu guru pUrw pwieAw qau auqrI sgl ibEgnI ]1]

sadhaa ana(n)dh gur pooraa paaeiaa tho outharee sagal biouganee ||1||

I am in bliss forever, for I have found the Perfect Guru; my separation from the Lord is totally ended. ||1||

ieh ibiD hY mnu jognI ]

eih bidhh hai man joganee ||

This is how I have joined my mind to the Lord.

mohu sogu rogu logu n ibAwpY qh hir hir hir rs BognI ]1] rhwau ]

mohu sog rog log n biaapai theh har har har ras bhoganee ||1|| rehaao ||

Attachment, sorrow, disease and public opinion do not affect me, and so, I enjoy the subtle essence of the Lord, Har, Har, Har. ||1||Pause||

surg pivqRw imrq pivqRw pieAwl pivqR AlognI ]

surag pavithraa mirath pavithraa paeiaal pavithr aloganee ||

I am pure in the heavenly realm, pure on this earth, and pure in the nether regions of the underworld. I remain apart from the people of the world.

AwigAwkwrI sdw suKu BuMcY jq kq pyKau hir gunI ]2]

aagiaakaaree sadhaa sukh bhu(n)chai jath kath paekho har gunee ||2||

Obedient to the Lord, I enjoy peace forever; wherever I look, I see the Lord of glorious virtues. ||2||

nh isv skqI jlu nhI pvnw qh Akwru nhI mydnI ]

neh siv sakathee jal nehee pavanaa theh akaar nehee maedhanee ||

There is no Shiva or Shakti, no energy or matter, no water or wind, no world of form there,

siqgur jog kw qhw invwsw jh Aivgq nwQu Agm DnI ]3]

sathigur jog kaa thehaa nivaasaa jeh avigath naathh agam dhhanee ||3||

where the True Guru, the Yogi, dwells, where the Imperishable Lord God, the Unapproachable Master abides. ||3||

qnu mnu hir kw Dnu sBu hir kw hir ky gux hau ikAw gnI ]

than man har kaa dhhan sabh har kaa har kae gun ho kiaa ganee ||

Body and mind belong to the Lord; all wealth belongs to the Lord; what glorious virtues of the Lord can I describe?

khu nwnk hm qum guir KoeI hY AMBY AMBu imlognI ]4]3]

kahu naanak ham thum gur khoee hai a(n)bhai a(n)bh miloganee ||4||3||

Says Nanak, the Guru has destroyed my sense of 'mine and yours'. Like water with water, I am blended with God. ||4||3||

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/5377346.stm

Cousin speaks of deaths at lake

The trio were part of a Sikh martial arts group

_42126460_ullswatervictims203.jpg

The cousin of one of three youths who died in a Lake District beauty spot told how a fun day turned to tragedy.

Harvinder Singh, 15, Tajinder Singh, 21, and Satvir Singh, 17, died in Ullswater on Saturday.

The trio, all from Wolverhampton, were part of a group enjoying a paddle in the water when one slipped and the others tried to rescue him.

Another cousin told how the three were well-loved and well-known in their community and would be deeply missed.

Cumbria Police said the three victims were not closely related, but may have been from the same extended family.

'Deeply missed'

Harvinder's cousin Simran Singh said the three were part of a Sikh martial arts group that had gone to the Lake District for a "peaceful break".

He said: "On Saturday afternoon after they had done the boating, it was a beautiful day. They felt like going into the lake for a quick paddle and Harvinder, Satvir and Tajinder, all three of them, they went into the lake.

"The water was up to about their chest, they were just having fun playing around just like kids do, and they weren't to know that further on there was an 18ft/20ft drop.

"And Satvir didn't know how to swim and as they got further away from the shore he just panicked and the other two, Harvinder and Tajinder, they kept assuring him, they told him 'don't worry about it'.

"Harvinder on one side was holding him and his cousin Tajinder was holding him on the other side and then they just fell back and dropped."

Extremely cold

He described his cousin as "lively and inspirational" and said it would be hard without him.

Another of Harvinder's cousins, Aman Singh said they would be deeply missed.

Another 15-year-old boy was pulled to safety in the incident. He was taken to hospital, where his injuries were not thought to be life-threatening.

Those involved in the rescue told of the potential dangers of the lake, where a shallow area drops sharply into deep water and the water is extremely cold.