Bhatri Sikh

Guest Bhatri Sikh

Guest Bhatri Sikh

I'm a bhatri sikh, and only the age of 15 but my mum and dad are going to get me engaged by the end of next month. and I dont think I'm ready I dont know what shall I do.

As I am bhatri sikh, Im not allowed to say no to this alliance and cant even see the boy. I really want to study and go on fuirther education but obviously my parent will not agree to thsi npr would the bhatra society so me going to college or university is a big NO. As the bhatra society thinks that the boys can get educatedb ut the girls will have to get married early and go cook and clean for the house.

My paretns belive that a girl shouldnt get educated much and secondary school is enough and there is no point ofa career because we bhatri girls will get back to step 1 again whioch is to cook, clean and produce kids.

I really dont want to go ahead with the alliance.

U have two older sisters ones 21 and the other 19 and both were married at 16.But i dont want to go in their steps.

Please help me find a solution, because its literally impossible for me to say no as my parents wont agree and take into account whay my say is.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say NO and tell them you want to study further. If they try to force you then goto your local gurudwara and explain singhs there. If you live in usa tell me, if not then sorry cant help.

I'm a bhatri sikh, and only the age of 15 but my mum and dad are going to get me engaged by the end of next month. and I dont think I'm ready I dont know what shall I do.

As I am bhatri sikh, Im not allowed to say no to this alliance and cant even see the boy. I really want to study and go on fuirther education but obviously my parent will not agree to thsi npr would the bhatra society so me going to college or university is a big NO. As the bhatra society thinks that the boys can get educatedb ut the girls will have to get married early and go cook and clean for the house.

My paretns belive that a girl shouldnt get educated much and secondary school is enough and there is no point ofa career because we bhatri girls will get back to step 1 again whioch is to cook, clean and produce kids.

U have two older sisters ones 21 and the other 19 and both were married at 16.But i dont want to go in their steps.

Please help me find a solution, because its literally impossible for me to say no as my parents wont agree and take into account whay my say is.

GurFateh penji.

tell them about how you feel. if you cant tell your mother, tell someone else in your family, who you think can talk to your parents about how you feel about this issue. speak strongly about who you can become in life if you get educated. let them hear about how Sikhi doesnt allow this kind of stuff. also tell them that, you can get married later on while studying at the same time. be very positive. tell them how you will be successful in life.

may Guru guide you penji.

take care.

God bless.

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

sorry i dun know what bhatri sikh means...anyway about the forced marriage, sum ppl might disagree with me and say u shud listen to ur rents, but rents arent always rite...just say no, dont do it..its not even in sikhi..whats the worse that can happen? maybe ur rents wont like u anymore? who cares, please God, not them and their backward thinking...i say u rebel against this..some ppl will prolly disagree but this is ur life and u shudnt be forced to live out a life based on stupid thinking..maybe talk to an elderly person , a gursikh that can guide u first..but if everything else fails then i think this wud b ur last resort

15 ????? and engagement? no.gifno.gif

what the hell? :wub: Thats really bad, tell your parents that you want an education and make them realise of your age, tell them that you are still a child. no.gif

cant they see how young you are, allow society, that really makes me angry when people try to impress society especially sikhs, u dont impress no one apart from Guru Ji pray.gif

From what I know about the Bhatra community this is a common practise amongst them to marry their children very young. Their views are considered quite backward.. (No offense intended)

I found it hard to believe at first but was convinced when I actually met a girl from the Bhat community and she told me what happened to her.

All I can suggest bhen-ji is you talk to your parents and try and make them understand. It's probably going to be difficult because I know you have respect for your parents and going against them at this young age is going to be very difficult. Especially if they are fixed in their views.

Try speaking with your older sisters to see if they can help you.

Good luck.

ya ..

like someone else said here .. it depends how far you want to go ..

the law can be included in this .. depending on if you want the law to be in this since child marriages are not allowed ..or if u want to fully stand up against your parents by other means.. you need to give more info on exactly what kind of help your seeking..

there isnt much anyone can tell you to give u support on this issue.. all we can say is keep talking to your parents .. but im pretty sure.. if your parents thought like this for ur sisters there is prob NO way they will think else for you since indians are the most stubborn of all ppl!

Gurfateh

haww!!!dat sounds scary no.gif buh panji i agree wit everyone else stay strong and ye either say a big NO to your parents and go against them because for god sake this is your life!!! its awesome you wanna go ahead with your education and that is what you should do!!man this kinda stuff used to happen back in the old days i thought it completely stopped now :wub: no offence....and omg yeah man gotta agree wit jaspaul veerji indian's are real stubborn....and plus since you're young and well a girl parents aint gonna listen to a thing you gonna say...they think they can control you panji but you know that aint true so stay strong and show them they can't control you that much!!! vaheguru....stay strong and well try doing simran and talk to guru sahib about this :wub: and by the way...What's A Bhatri Sikh?!?!?!?!? blush.gif sowwy buh i goh no idea wha it is :D bhul chuk maaf

Gurfateh