What Is The Best Gel For The Beard

I respect your opinion as well. However, I am never ashamed to wear my dhari free flowing. And  being a sikh male, i have been standing out since day one ( i love it). Yet, I am still looking in the Guru Granth Sahib for the complete rejection of gelling one's beard.  Obviously, the hair is supposed to be respected, however i just can't believe that one would think gelling ur dhari is disrespectful.  I proudly wear my dhari untied in front of my friends, classmates and complete strangers. But in many instances i simply like to go for the more "groomed" look (tho i know we all disagree on the definition of "groomed").  The advice I give will make people think its okay to do this!??!?!? IT IS OK. If you can show me any scriptures stating this is wrong, i would definitely reconsider my stance.

Most of all though, I would like to clarify that gelling your beard is NOT a sign of weakness of faith. Scissors are much easier to handle then all these gels. Some people prefer their dhari's more under control and, with all due respect,  whether a man gels his beard is nobody else's business.

159173[/snapback]

Fat Albert

See my post earlier in this thread. I have no issue with gelling but because Guru Granth Sahib Ji or scriptures are silent on something does not make it OK. Guru Granth Sahib Ji does not say "don't risk kids lives by speeding around schoolgrounds". This does not mean speeding around schoolgrounds is OK.

You can have your opinion and that is fine. You say you like the more "groomed" look and suggest there is argument about the term "groomed". You have had an opportunity to read my post earlier regarding the term. You are right that it is not my business whether a man gels his beard. I don't care. But what a man suggests about the free flowing beard of a Sikh is my business.

Have the humility to recognize NOT necessarily a weakness of your faith, BUT the sadness of your entrenched perspective. Were either Guru Nanak Dev Ji or Guru Gobind Singh Ji less groomed than you?

-------------

I think it is important to provide some perspective with respect to the effects of language. An open dhari is not “ungroomed”. In my world having no dhari is “ungroomed”. A tied dhari is somewhat groomed and an open dhari is grooming at it’s finest. There is no such thing as “clean” shaven in my world. I see people as clean bearded and dirty shaven. When the society around me smartens up in their language hang-ups, I will drop the “dirty”.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such hillarious suggestions :wub: (especially the one about from mum's pakore!)

I used to use hot water to soften it first, tie it up and then where a thaathi (small cloth around the face) to press it against the face.

I soon learned not too after having breathing problems coz of it wearing it too long and it would still fall! And would takes ages. Not anymore!

The best is to let it freely flow in the air (like chardikala singhs with amazing long beards - waheguru)

i still think baby oil does the job quite well... and it don't leave white stuff afterwards..

159032[/snapback]

I agree baby oil is the best

gets you dhari glowing and your face flowing LOL.gif

I used to use gel, but its too goo-ey, and makes your dhari hard (perhaps thats the point blush.gif )

No but seriously, baby oil is really nice :wub:

Well, veer Ji i have a daari and i don't use gel. But as an advice i would say avoid using gel instead use a liquid or clear looking lotion which will help keep roots of daari strong and aslo will keep your daari in shape... ex. j&j lotions etc., use a conditioner, and other stuff but avoid gel especially in winter.

You guys know wht happens if u use gel in winter lol

I respect your opinion as well. However, I am never ashamed to wear my dhari free flowing. And  being a sikh male, i have been standing out since day one ( i love it). Yet, I am still looking in the Guru Granth Sahib for the complete rejection of gelling one's beard.  Obviously, the hair is supposed to be respected, however i just can't believe that one would think gelling ur dhari is disrespectful.  I proudly wear my dhari untied in front of my friends, classmates and complete strangers. But in many instances i simply like to go for the more "groomed" look (tho i know we all disagree on the definition of "groomed").  The advice I give will make people think its okay to do this!??!?!? IT IS OK. If you can show me any scriptures stating this is wrong, i would definitely reconsider my stance.

Most of all though, I would like to clarify that gelling your beard is NOT a sign of weakness of faith. Scissors are much easier to handle then all these gels. Some people prefer their dhari's more under control and, with all due respect,  whether a man gels his beard is nobody else's business.

159173[/snapback]

Fat Albert

See my post earlier in this thread. I have no issue with gelling but because Guru Granth Sahib Ji or scriptures are silent on something does not make it OK. Guru Granth Sahib Ji does not say "don't risk kids lives by speeding around schoolgrounds". This does not mean speeding around schoolgrounds is OK.

You can have your opinion and that is fine. You say you like the more "groomed" look and suggest there is argument about the term "groomed". You have had an opportunity to read my post earlier regarding the term. You are right that it is not my business whether a man gels his beard. I don't care. But what a man suggests about the free flowing beard of a Sikh is my business.

Have the humility to recognize NOT necessarily a weakness of your faith, BUT the sadness of your entrenched perspective. Were either Guru Nanak Dev Ji or Guru Gobind Singh Ji less groomed than you?

-------------

I think it is important to provide some perspective with respect to the effects of language. An open dhari is not “ungroomed”. In my world having no dhari is “ungroomed”. A tied dhari is somewhat groomed and an open dhari is grooming at it’s finest. There is no such thing as “clean” shaven in my world. I see people as clean bearded and dirty shaven. When the society around me smartens up in their language hang-ups, I will drop the “dirty”.

159193[/snapback]

I am curious to what i have "suggested" about the free flowing beard. I have only said that "I proudly wear my dhari untied in front of my friends, classmates and complete strangers". "Groomed" means "neat in appearance" according to the dictionary. No matter how much love any of us have for our respective dharis, you can simply not reject the notion that a completely free flowing beard is not as physically neat as a tied dhari. However, "neat" does not necessarily mean "better". A "neat" beard is absolutely essential in some professions such as food services and many medical/surgical positions.

As far as my "entreanched perspective", I'm not quite sure what you mean. However, what i do know is that i am only concerned with how i feel of myself in front of my Guru. I would be completely comfortable presenting myself in front of my Guru and that is what defines me as a Sikh (not yours or anyone else's definition).

The bottom line is I was trying to be helpful to this guy who was asking a question. However, before i was able to come to his aide, many of you guys on the forums (not necessarily you budda singh) had ridiculed and shamed him to your heart's content. I'm sure the Guru's would condone these acts, as long as you keep your beard flowing... right?

You have mentioned that there is no order in the Guru Granth Sahib about not gelling your beard. The Sikh Rehit Maryada, agreed on by the Panth, addresses many issues Sikhs face today. However, interestingly, there is no mention that a beard must be free-flowing, only that it should be uncut. Do you honestly believe that your definition of a good Sikh is better than that of the Panth that the Guru's told us to follow?

You all need to open up your horizons and realize that your "free-flowing or nothing" responses are driving people away. Perhaps if you guys employed all your fiesty energy towards uniting Sikhs, rather than dividing them close-minded and unaccepting attitudes, we could be making some real progress for Sikhi. Come on guys, Sikhs cannot even wear turbans to school in France and we are here arguing over whether gelling one's unshorn beard is wrong.

I have my opinions and you have your opinions, but i hope we can use this forum constructively.

PS. To Jaspreet008 who posed this question, I hope my answer about the spray helped. Regarding the discussion in this thread, don't worry about what others have to say as everyone has their own opinions about this matter. How you take care of your unshorn beard is your business. Just be true to yourself and be comfortable with the relationship you have with your Guru.

I agree completly with Fat Albert.

As long as you keep your kes unshorn, and in a respectable manner, there should be no problem.

As Fat Albert mentioned tying dhari is a must ins certain cirumstances. I would rather tye my dhari than having ti stick into a machine shaving it off completly.

Tying dhari can be fundamental in certain circumstances.

If you feel more confortable with a dhari that is tied - good on you - you will benifit more on having ti tied, if you feel more proud of you Sikhi Saroop that way

If you feel more confortable (includes me) having a free flowing dhari, and makes you feel more proud of your Sikh saroop - go for it.

Let's not eat up each other just because we disagree. With everyone going around yelling at people who tie their dhari, a lot of people ahve started shaving it, due to practicality and due to self esteem.

Let's respect each toher, and lok beyond if someone wants to tie their dhari or having ti free flowing. Let's respect each toher no matter what.

Is it that hard? If we can't even love and respect each other because the other person ties his beard - how are we goign to reach the stage of BHai Kanaiya Jee and see Vaheguru within all?

How can we see Vaheguru within an enimy, if we cant see Vaheguru within a fellow Sikh tying his dhari.

God we are really going somewhere we shouldn't be.

Bhull chukk maaf

159173[/snapback]

Fat Albert

-------------

159193[/snapback]

I am curious to what i have "suggested" about the free flowing beard. I have only said that "I proudly wear my dhari untied in front of my friends, classmates and complete strangers". "Groomed" means "neat in appearance" according to the dictionary. No matter how much love any of us have for our respective dharis, you can simply not reject the notion that a completely free flowing beard is not as physically neat as a tied dhari. However, "neat" does not necessarily mean "better". A "neat" beard is absolutely essential in some professions such as food services and many medical/surgical positions.

As far as my "entreanched perspective", I'm not quite sure what you mean. However, what i do know is that i am only concerned with how i feel of myself in front of my Guru. I would be completely comfortable presenting myself in front of my Guru and that is what defines me as a Sikh (not yours or anyone else's definition).

The bottom line is I was trying to be helpful to this guy who was asking a question. However, before i was able to come to his aide, many of you guys on the forums (not necessarily you budda singh) had ridiculed and shamed him to your heart's content. I'm sure the Guru's would condone these acts, as long as you keep your beard flowing... right?

You have mentioned that there is no order in the Guru Granth Sahib about not gelling your beard. The Sikh Rehit Maryada, agreed on by the Panth, addresses many issues Sikhs face today. However, interestingly, there is no mention that a beard must be free-flowing, only that it should be uncut. Do you honestly believe that your definition of a good Sikh is better than that of the Panth that the Guru's told us to follow?

You all need to open up your horizons and realize that your "free-flowing or nothing" responses are driving people away. Perhaps if you guys employed all your fiesty energy towards uniting Sikhs, rather than dividing them close-minded and unaccepting attitudes, we could be making some real progress for Sikhi. Come on guys, Sikhs cannot even wear turbans to school in France and we are here arguing over whether gelling one's unshorn beard is wrong.

I have my opinions and you have your opinions, but i hope we can use this forum constructively.

PS. To Jaspreet008 who posed this question, I hope my answer about the spray helped. Regarding the discussion in this thread, don't worry about what others have to say as everyone has their own opinions about this matter. How you take care of your unshorn beard is your business. Just be true to yourself and be comfortable with the relationship you have with your Guru.

159309[/snapback]

FA, thanks for the further opportunity to explain. I am certainly not making any comparisons about my knowledge or practice of sikhi. If that is the contest, anyone can proceed to claim themselves the winner over me. However, I will advocate for the principles of those who gave their lives to humanity.

I am also not claiming that there is a definition. Rather, I am asking that there be an awareness that the stance expressed in your post DOES NOT simply express an openness to either view. You go farther whether you are aware of it or not. (FA you seem intelligent and mature--less concerned about you, than the general view adopted in your post).

You speak of food services and medical/surgical positions and the requirement for neat beards. The approaches there are CULTURE specific ie. western culture or Judeo-Christian culture. They are not UNIVERSAL standards by any means. Why don’t all non-sikhs in food services or medical professions remain bald and beardless? Serious question. Surely that could be the requirement. Why are there varying practices and standards between countries, or even neighboring hospitals or corporations? Their requirement is a BALANCE between cultural expectations, ACCEPTED standards of identity, and the requirements of the profession etc.

And where I really ask people to challenge their own thinking…

You say that I “can not reject the notion that a free flowing dhari is as not as physically neat as a tied dhari”. FA --- I WHOLLY AND COMPLETELY REJECT THIS BASELESS NOTION. AND I add that a free flowing dhari is in FACT physically neater and more groomed.

There are numerous indisputable definitions and connotations with respect to how you describe “neat” and “groomed” with respect to dharis. It is THESE connotations that in large part are the CAUSE of trimmed beards and haircuts.

This is a FAR LARGER CAUSE than the view that beards should only be free-flowing. I don’t take the view that free flowing is mandatory, but I see those with this view adding MORE value than those who suggest free-flowing is less "neat or groomed".

FA understand that presumptuous statements of the “neat and groomed” are a farther from logic than those you blame. Your statement is seemingly innocuous only because you ADOPT the ignorance of the masses. (FA – not intended as an insult at all—making a point here about a specific type of ignorance).

I appreciate your approach FA. I hope you understand that my point is about more than the length or specific appearance of dhari.