Help Plz...?

Guest ...no name...

Guest ...no name...

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh,

its been about a yr or 2 since ive got into sikhi and the more i get into it the more i wanna know about sikhi! however my parents seem to be acting as if im doin a crime! like when im doing my paath or listening to kirtan they'll just act weird for some reason.

but im reeli confused and i dnt want this problem to be a barrier between me and sikhi

hope you's could understand and help me out by giving me some advice plz..fanks :lol:

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

My family is different and encourage me to learn. However, alot of relatives find my 'getting in to Sikhi' is getting in the way of me getting married. The reason is Im looking for someone who shows an interest in Sikhi and is willing to learn with me, but the type of guys I have been introduced to seem to run a mile when I mention anything to do with Sikhi. This isn't a problem for me because I think its better they know where I would like my life to head, but obviously a problem to everyone else.

So yeah even if your parents support you and actively encourage you, theres always going to be someone else trying to discourage you.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Don't worry about it bro/Sis ever since i got into Sikhi, my family keeps on taking the micky aswell, when ever i put paath on... they start laughing and joke about it and say that 'tu sadhu ban chaleya?' (are gonna become a holy person?).

But i think every1 is getting use to it now (me putting Gurbani on nearly all the time... when im on the net n most of the time when im watching Tv, or when travelling i always say but Baba's (dharmik or Gurbani) tape on).

So don't worry about it... i think its gonna take your parents time to ajust to the idea of you becoming holy. I think this might because of the fact of ppl around us (esp in West) the youth are doing bad stuff... and seing a youth doing something right... might feel weird and 'not right' (coz its not what they use to seeing- if you get what im saying, so it'll take time to ajust to this idea of you becoming holy).

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

it seems to me that the reason that parents don't want their kids gettin into sangat is that it hurts their ego... we all know brown people are very ignorant.. hehe... and punjabi parents don't like being 'told' that they're wrong... even though we're not 'saying' nethin to them directly, by seeing their kids get into sikhi, they feel 'threatened'.... they don't wanna know what SIKHI is... and often they don't care... they think what they do is sikhi... but if sum1 (especially a youth) joins the path of sikhi, they feel threatened because most of what Sikhi is based on goes against what they do... don't let it affect you too much... its jus their own ego tha's causing them to act differently... jus have prem and sharda (love and faith) of your guru and all will be well... where do u live by the way?.. maybe we can get some Gursikhs sangat around you :lol:

btw... this isn't ALWAYZ the case.. but from my experience and experience of those who i have spoken to, this is the case probably 95% of the time... :TH:

don't let nethin hold u back from your Guru... these are all obstacles we gotta overcome!

This might be stretching it...but I actually think it's a good opportunity for you to open up that Sikhi door a little wider for your parents! Think about it, if it was the other way around, you're parents would be dragging you to gurdwara, telling you to sit down for Raihraas Sahib, making you learn a shabad, discussing sikh history with you...but in this case, it's you whose falling into Sikhi deeper, and maybe there's a reason for it. Parents might not see it right away, and may think you're "brainwashing" youself...but you know, if you do paht, try it with your family..if you go to these youth kirtan darbars, make it a family outing...

It's a new door (phase, if you will) for your family, and you just happen to be the first one to walk through it. They'll follow you in due course.

And like Heera said, don't let anything hold you back from your Guru. If he's calling you, you report!

...just something to think about :lol: There's a silver lining for ya :TH: