Simran

Long live the khalsa

Guest Guest101

A question I tried to answer on another forum, but here is the best answer of all from Soul_jyot:

I personally do paath/simran for the following BASIC reasons :

- To wash and purify my mind and help it to cocentrate and be more focused

- To realize Waheguru / God so that my ATMA can join & come one with PARMATA

- To enlighten and calm the mind, body & my soul (atma)

- To control: lust, anger, greed, worldly attachments & ego

The key to my goals/objectives being: STRONG FAITH, WILL POWER (DETERMINATION), AND PATIENCE !

Sikhism = Sewa, simran & sadh sangat

To me prayer (paath) = TALKING to Waheguru Ji, while meditation/simran = LISTENING to Waheguru God !

Note: I do not discuss/argue about my spiritual path with others, since I consider my life journey very personal ( I WALK the path, rather than TALK the path )! I follow the guidance/direction of my spiritual mentor/teacher only !

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-s...ath-listen.html

hope it helps ...

that's like asking why do two lovers say "i love you" to each other.  Simran for me is our soul telling our beloved husband Lord God, "I love you".....

147772[/snapback]

thas soo beautiful cry_smile.gif

blush.gif ....well said!

Naam Simran is the most fundamental aspect to Sikhism and I find it worrying that youth are unsure as to why this practise is done. It is Naam Simran which is the primary practise which will bring you to meet Vaheguru in this lifetime. Without Naam Simran it is impossible to achieve a Jeevan. Naam Simran is the true meaning of Sikhism.

also to remind yourself that God is everywhere, in everything. You read Gurbani to get a concept of what God is through veechar etc - this is Brahm vidiya.

Simran is the constant recollection of this understanding - which will inherently fade because of the 4 thieves, kalyjug, fear etc - you have to keep it in mind constantly and base every thought and action on it.

Just like when you have a childhood crush you keep thinking of the girl/boy - in the same way you keep thinking of Maharaji.

Sat Sri Akal:

Per the Simran of the Gurmantar Vaheguroo:

By the teachings of the Guru many become disciples of the Guru, but some rare one becomes the Guru like that Guru.

gur sikhahu gur sikh hai peer peerahun koee||

Only the practitioner of the word and consciousness can attain the status of Guru-God.

shabadh surath chaelaa guroo paramaeshar soee||

Such a disciple concentrating on the philosophy of the Guru (and making it a part of daily conduct) himself becomes a likeness of Guru.

dharashan dhrishatt dhhiaan dhhar gur moorath hoee||

Making his consciousness attentive to Word through recitation of Naam, he merges in the holy congregation.

shabadh surath kar keerathan sathasang viloee||

His Guru-manta is Vahiguru, whose recitation erases egotism.

vaahiguroo guroo manthr hai jap houmain khoee||

Losing egotism and merging into the qualities of the supreme Lord, he himself becomes full of qualities.

aap gavaaeae aap hai gun gunee paroee ||a||

(Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Sahib, Vaar 13, Pauri 2).