Can Gurbani Cure Diseases

Do you believe that Gurbani has the power to cure diseases  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that Gurbani has the power to cure diseases

• Yes it can, there is nothing that Bani cannot do
    • No Bani caanot cure diseases
    • Help!! im not sure!!!

Fateh,

if one has enought faith in something then the power of that hope/belief can overcome any obstacle they may face. And this is where the power of gurbani lies.

Gurbani is by no means a magical mantar one can simply recite and achieve instant physical or mental transformation. The magic of gurbani lies in that it helps instill in the individual the ultimate coping skill available in this universe: Faith in God.

It is this faith in God which changes the individual mindset from one engrossed in anxieties, worries, troubles, pain to one of complete peace and tranquility (anand). The person still experiences the same physical obstacles in life as everyone else (eg. illness, disease, work pressures, family pressures etc) for harships/pleasures are two sides of the same coin which all people must face. But the difference in this individual is that they know perceive everything with a different attitude. Their attitude now becomes, that whatever God does is good and i will accept it with love. Whether God gives me hardships or pleasures (dukh or sukh) i will view them both the same.

Thus when it comes to physical ailments, they still are subject to the same ailments, illnesses that any other person is but they no longer perceive the ailment as being painful. Even if one is reading gurbani, the body is still the same, it does not change. It sill bleeds if cut, it still gets sick if infected with a deadly virus and it still breaks down if inflicted with a degenerative disease. But instead of viewing this mere physical ailment as a "dhukh" the person accepts it as the grace of God. Thus no "dhukh" exists for such a person in their life. This is why even though Guru HarKrishan Ji was a living emobodiment of gurbani, his body was still prone to physical ailments like everyone else and succumbed to smallpox. The power of gurbani lay not in magically curing this smallpox but allowing the caretaker of that body to not experience any pain while undergoing that illness.

That being said, the body like any other machine requires regular maintenance and repair in order to function properly. This includes things as regular bathing, excercising, healthy diet and appropriate medicines/surgery as needed. Gurbani should not be viewed as magic potion which eliminates the need of any medical intervention but rather as an adjunct to the regular medicine. When used in this light then certainly gurbani can help prevent the mind from experiencing any kind of pain regardless what the illness may be and in this sense the person is "cured" from the negative effects of that illness.

I don't think Bani itself can help cure diseases (i.e. it can physically di it), but Bani can help forge human beings into people who can cure diseases. So in this sense Bani does indirectly cure diseases.

Also note that the power of the mind, in this case Naam should not be underestimated

I mean it helps people become disciplined in mind and body. Teaches people to use their minds, of which one application maybe medicine.

So in layman terms what you are saying is that gurbani cannot itself cure disease but can help someone become a doctor via giving them discipline who will then go forward to cure a disease.

And ur comment on the power of the mind, i assume your talking about the effect of positive thoughts and determination to get better?

I see....

Sorat'h, Fifth Mehl:

After taking your cleansing bath, remember your God in meditation, and your mind and body shall be free of disease.

Millions of obstacles are removed, in the Sanctuary of God, and good fortune dawns. ||1||

The Word of God's Bani, and His Shabad, are the best utterances.

So constantly sing them, listen to them, and read them, O Siblings of Destiny, and the Perfect Guru shall save you. ||Pause||

The glorious greatness of the True Lord is immeasurable; the Merciful Lord is the Lover of His devotees.

He has preserved the honor of His Saints; from the very beginning of time, His Nature is to cherish them. ||2||

So eat the Ambrosial Name of the Lord as your food; put it into your mouth at all times.

The pains of old age and death shall all depart, when you constantly sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord of the Universe. ||3||

My Lord and Master has heard my prayer, and all my affairs have been resolved.

The glorious greatness of Guru Nanak is manifest, throughout all the ages. ||4||11||

(Ang 611)

I would say that Guru Ji disagrees with you and that guru ji in gurbani says that simran, gurbani and meditation on him, can cure disease and eradicate all pain.

145946[/snapback]

This "disease" Bani is talking about is the disease of the five thieves. It is that that Bani helps clear up.

I would say you are literally interpreting Bani. grin.gif

So no Guruji does not disagreeing with me. :TH:

Bani gives us discipline and free's our mind's from being stuck in the five vice's (which are basic animal instincts) and moving on to becoming huiman beings.

Ther is no point in knowing the truth without living it.

As Guru Nanak Dev Ji puts very clearly

Higher than Truth is Truthful Living

In this case that would mean you could read Bani day and night without getting even one iota of sense out of it, however, if you are putting its teaching into practice it means you have learnt something i.e. Sikhlaya Kuch or you are a Sikh.

Fateh,

if one has enought faith in something then the power of that hope/belief can overcome any obstacle they may face. And this is where the power of gurbani lies.

Gurbani is by no means a magical mantar one can simply recite and achieve instant physical or mental transformation.  The magic of gurbani lies in that it helps instill in the individual the ultimate coping skill available in this universe: Faith in God.

It is this faith in God which changes the individual mindset from one engrossed in anxieties, worries, troubles, pain to one of complete peace and tranquility (anand).  The person still experiences the same physical obstacles in life as everyone else (eg. illness, disease, work pressures, family pressures etc) for harships/pleasures are two sides of the same coin which all people must face.  But the difference in this individual is that they know perceive everything with a different attitude.  Their attitude now becomes, that whatever God does is good and i will accept it with love.  Whether God gives me hardships or pleasures (dukh or sukh) i will view them both the same. 

Thus when it comes to physical ailments, they still are subject to the same ailments, illnesses that any other person is but they no longer perceive the ailment as being painful.  Even if one is reading gurbani, the body is still the same, it does not change.  It sill bleeds if cut, it still gets sick if infected with a deadly virus and it still breaks down if inflicted with a degenerative disease.  But instead of viewing this mere physical ailment as a "dhukh" the person accepts it as the grace of God.  Thus no "dhukh" exists for such a person in their life.  This is why even though Guru HarKrishan Ji was a living emobodiment of gurbani, his body was still prone to physical ailments like everyone else and succumbed to smallpox.  The power of gurbani lay not in magically curing this smallpox but allowing the caretaker of that body to not experience any pain while undergoing that illness.

That being said, the body like any other machine requires regular maintenance and repair in order to function properly.  This includes things as regular bathing, excercising, healthy diet and appropriate medicines/surgery as needed.  Gurbani should not be viewed as magic potion which eliminates the need of any medical intervention but rather as an adjunct to the regular medicine.  When used in this light then certainly gurbani can help prevent the mind from experiencing any kind of pain regardless what the illness may be and in this sense the person is "cured" from the negative effects of that illness.

146071[/snapback]

At last a sensible post! :TH:

• 9 years later...

From personal experience, reciting Gurbani opens doors that would otherwise remain firmly shut, medically speaking. So whilst nobody is suggesting shunning the medical profession, Gurbani is the difference between your doctor scratching his head and telling you nothing can be done, to him suddenly finding a hitherto unexplored avenue of treatment which was the missing piece of the jigsaw as it were. Of course, some may argue that non-believers in the Divine - and non-Gurbani reciters - also experience such drastic reversals in fortune, which is absolutely fair, but to that I say maybe their karams are significantly advanced in a certain sense, which means that aforementioned pivotal moment of change in health occurred due to a good, godly deed which merited a positive outcome. Who knows, hehe?

NO,NO.NO.............Gurbani can not cure disease. Gurbani is their to give you strength and courage. Im sick of people who ask such stupid questions, its like asking can Gurbani help me win the lottery. Ask what you can do for the Guru Sant Sahib, not what it can do for you. I feel for all the suffering in the world and its very wrong,starvation,war,disease etc......... but in most, if not all, MAN is to blame, so MAN can sort it out. The Guru Sant Sahib will give you the strength and courage. Guru has given you the precious gift of life, search the Gurbani on how you can make a difference to your brothers and sisters, maybe become a Doctor!