Gursikh Jeevan: Baba Visaakha Singh Dadehar Prt2

Guest Guest

Baba Visaakha Singh jee Dadehar was a Gadri Baba i.e. freedom fighter of Gadr movement. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee too was a Gadri Baba who went to jail for 16 years trying to liberate India from the British.

Baba Visaakha Singh jee was caught and tried in the Lahore Conspiracy case at Lahore in 1914-1915. The trial was very unfair. Baba jee used to narrate one incident involving Bhai Jawahar Singh. While the trial was going on, witnesses were required to identify the accused Gadrees. On one occasion, a witness failed to recognize an accused and the prosecutor (lawyer) got upset and scolded him. The witness replied saying that he could not recognize the accused because everyone was wearing turbans in a different style. At this Bhai Jawala Singh started laughing.

The prosecution lawyer got upset when he saw Bhai Jawala Singh, a renowned Gadri freedom fighter, laughing. He and Bhai Jawala Singh started arguing. Seeing the defiant attitude of Bhai Jawala Singh, the judge ordered that Bhai Jawala Singh to be caned 30 times right in the front of the court.

Bhai Jawala Singh was grabbed by the police officers and taken in the veranda i.e. just out side the door, and tied with a pillar. Then he was caned with a leather stick. Each cane had a huge impact that was very visible. It tore away the skin where it hit. Drops of blood could be seen all over the wall on the outside. The courtroom was stunned at this punishment. Baba Visaakha Singh jee Dadehar has recorded this incident very beautifully in one of his poems:

NAAL TIK TIKEE BANN KE JWALA SINGH NOO,

PYAARE VEER NOO BAINT PHIR LAGAUN LAGAE ||

(They tied Jawala Singh and then starting caning my beloved brother)

MAAR MAAR KE BOTIYAAN KADHIYO NE,

PAINJAY VAANG PHIR MAAS UDAUN LAGAE||

(By hitting again and again, skin got torn and was flying like cotton)

UDON KHOON DE VEERO, GHARAAL VAGG PAYE,

KAYEE VEKH KE NEER VAHAUN LAGAI||

(At that time, blood was flowing out like river. Seeing this scene many of our brothers burst into tears)

DAAS SINGH VISAAKH DEE BENTI JEE,

JWAAL SINGH NAA MOOL GHABRAUN LAGAE||

(Servant Visaakh Singh writes that, Jawala Singh did not falter at all)

Bhai Jawala Singh jee stayed adamant and did not even make a sound. He kept a smiling face. Seeing this brutal treatment of Bhai Jawala Singh, Baba Sohan Singh Bhakna declared in the court that this court was a butcher house and that from that day, no one would cooperate with the court proceedings.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

• 3 years later...

Baba Visaakha Singh jee Dadehar was a Gadri Baba i.e. freedom fighter of Gadr movement. Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh jee too was a Gadri Baba who went to jail for 16 years trying to liberate India from the British.

Baba Visaakha Singh jee was caught and tried in the Lahore Conspiracy case at Lahore in 1914-1915. The trial was very unfair. Baba jee used to narrate one incident involving Bhai Jawahar Singh. While the trial was going on, witnesses were required to identify the accused Gadrees. On one occasion, a witness failed to recognize an accused and the prosecutor (lawyer) got upset and scolded him. The witness replied saying that he could not recognize the accused because everyone was wearing turbans in a different style. At this Bhai Jawala Singh started laughing.

The prosecution lawyer got upset when he saw Bhai Jawala Singh, a renowned Gadri freedom fighter, laughing. He and Bhai Jawala Singh started arguing. Seeing the defiant attitude of Bhai Jawala Singh, the judge ordered that Bhai Jawala Singh to be caned 30 times right in the front of the court.

Bhai Jawala Singh was grabbed by the police officers and taken in the veranda i.e. just out side the door, and tied with a pillar. Then he was caned with a leather stick. Each cane had a huge impact that was very visible. It tore away the skin where it hit. Drops of blood could be seen all over the wall on the outside. The courtroom was stunned at this punishment. Baba Visaakha Singh jee Dadehar has recorded this incident very beautifully in one of his poems:

NAAL TIK TIKEE BANN KE JWALA SINGH NOO,

PYAARE VEER NOO BAINT PHIR LAGAUN LAGAE ||

(They tied Jawala Singh and then starting caning my beloved brother)

MAAR MAAR KE BOTIYAAN KADHIYO NE,

PAINJAY VAANG PHIR MAAS UDAUN LAGAE||

(By hitting again and again, skin got torn and was flying like cotton)

UDON KHOON DE VEERO, GHARAAL VAGG PAYE,

KAYEE VEKH KE NEER VAHAUN LAGAI||

(At that time, blood was flowing out like river. Seeing this scene many of our brothers burst into tears)

DAAS SINGH VISAAKH DEE BENTI JEE,

JWAAL SINGH NAA MOOL GHABRAUN LAGAE||

(Servant Visaakh Singh writes that, Jawala Singh did not falter at all)

Bhai Jawala Singh jee stayed adamant and did not even make a sound. He kept a smiling face. Seeing this brutal treatment of Bhai Jawala Singh, Baba Sohan Singh Bhakna declared in the court that this court was a butcher house and that from that day, no one would cooperate with the court proceedings.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh

Dear Big Brother,

Sat Sri Akal.

You have very beautiful website.

I am so please to read your story about about Baba Visakha Singh at http://www.sikhlionz.com/Gursikh-Jeevan-Baba-Visaakha-Singh-Dadehar.htm Bhai Kuldip Singh you are great person and we have tremdously respect you for the love you have for Baba ji.

But i am disappointed to read your quote > Baba jee continued, “for 700 years you (your Hindus) got trampled by the Mughals and got humiliated by them. Where was your self-respect and strength then? Then for 200 years you licked the shoes of British but did not fight them. Seeing poor and helpless people you start abusing your power. Have you not got any shame?

Are you directing towards bias towards Hindus.

There were many Punjabi Hindu member of Gardar Party. Some of them very close to Baba. They never had any bias against any person or religion.

He was saint, non-violence struggle against British rule.

Pls. remove this Hindu racist words.

I am Dadehar Native and many freedom fighter from Dadehar Sahib. We have Hindu living in this village from generation. There is no bais against them.

Since i am born i have been listening great story from my grandpa (a freedom fighter as well) I never heard this story. It is bias against Hindu. why writer mentioned "your hindu"

Pls. write wisely.

Amandeep Singh

Dadehar Sahib

• 3 weeks later...

BABA VISAKHA SINGH JI WAS A VERY VERY DISCIPLINED GURSIKH

AND A GREAT PATRIOT AS WELL. HE WAS THE FIRST JATHEDAR OF

AKAL TAKHAT(after control on Gurdwaras by SGPC) . DUE TO HIS

PARTICIPATION IN FIGHT FOR FREEDOM AGAINST BRITISH RULE,

HE WAS IMPRISONED AT KALA PANI ALSO. HE WAS ONE OF THE

FOUNDERS OF AMRIT PARCHAR SANGAT WHOSE PRESENT JATHEDAR

IS GYANI SOORAJPAL SINGH JI OF PATIALA. HE ALWAYS BOOSTED

SIKHS TO FOLLOW GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI ONLY AND ENCOURAGED