Puraatan Dumallaahs

Mkhalsa

I’m just curious, why is it that the Puraatan Dumallaahs were really pointy, unlike todays dumallaah which are usually more round on top?

For example take a look at this model by clicking on the following link to see how a puraatan dumallaah use to look like:

http://photos.waheguroo.com/details.ppa?image_id=460

This doesn't look like a contemporary dumallaah now does it? how did puraathan dumallaah get so pointy on the top?

the thing on the top is farlaa and that's what gives the cone shape to a dumalla. Not that many Singhs actually wear farle these days so u dont' get to see dumalla like this anymore.

You can also get the cone shapy by coiling up ur keski over the top of ur head but u'll need something really long to do this.

There are actually only two kind of Dumalle. One with Farle are called Farle vaale dumalle and not everyone can wear these and those who do have to follow special maryada at all times and the other kind of dumalle, which u see mostly, are Gurmukhi dumalle. Both kind are actually tied similiar ways with just a little variation. If you have taken oath of farlaa then u would have to tie that on your joora first and then you basically follow same steps as Gurmukhi dumalla.

I’ve seen old paintings and drawings done by Europeans during Ranjit Singh’s Raaj. All of them show Akali Nihangs as wearing those pointy type of Dastars. I like the way they look. I don’t see many people tying those pointy type Dumaallahs anymore.

I have heard that Singhs with Avasthah can see Shaheed Singhs. I wonder what style of Dumaallaahs the Shaheed Singh tie? I know that they always wear blue colour Bana, and are Shastardhari, it would be great to have their Darshan.

there is also the DamalaRa which is mentioned in gurbani. Its an open topped pointy damalal where cloth comes out.. looks similar to a farlaa but its like a bunch of cloth just coming out like flower petals.. i tied it once but didnt tie it again as it looks too much like a farlaa to others (because no1 has tied this style in hundreds of years probably) and i dont deserve to have one.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

haha.. to have their darshan u have to be someone like Baba Harnaam Singh Ji rampur khere vaale!

:T: has any1 frm forum attended da anual naam abhiyaas kamaayee samagam at gurudwara raampur khera? :T:

frm last 2 years, i hav nt been there. :) @ but used 2 go there before anualy.

its realy a gr8 samgam. ^_^

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

haha.. to have their darshan u have to be someone like Baba Harnaam Singh Ji rampur khere vaale!

:T: has any1 frm forum attended da anual naam abhiyaas kamaayee samagam at gurudwara raampur khera? :T:

frm last 2 years, i hav nt been there. :) @ but used 2 go there before anualy.

its realy a gr8 samgam. ^_^

Where it is in punjab? ^_^