Sikhnet

Guest Guest

I really think we should do something about Sikhnet, they are misleading the youth, in the Q & A Forum. For every question the answer is Yoga, and they are making up their own bs to answer all the youth questions, everything is from a Yoga point of view, not a Sikh point of view.

Is there anything we can do, becasue I know so many youth depend on that site?

VJKK

VJKF

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually making me really upset because so many people go to Sikhnet and read the Q & A forum, for an example: A while back I asked a question about how to bath with kachera, and the person that answered shocked me, they siad that when you are at home resting, sleeping, and lovemaking you dont have to wear kakars. And in almost every single rely there is always something about yoga, thats always their advice yoga, and when some kid asks for an explanation about something in Sikhism, they tell him about all this Yoga bs. ITS SIKHNET NOT YOGANET!!!

Dont you guys agree with me?

I my opinion i think you are right, It also gives the impression that yoga is an important part of Sikhi and it is something which joins you with Waheguru.

Here is a couple exchange of emails with me and Sikhnet

Misleading The Youth

SIKHNET dont get me wrong I really really appreaciate

all your seva, and really like your site, except for the Sikh Youth Q&A. I

think it should be called Yoga Youth Q & A, for every question your answer

is Yoga, and every time the youth want an explanation you give it to them

from a Yoga point of view, and not a Sikh one. After all this is Sikhnet

not Yoganet!

VJKK

VJKF

Many of our answers are answered using Yogic Technology but not all. We are

students of Yogi Bhajan, a yoga master, who was also a devoted Sikh. He

taught us about both desciplines. But we don't believe in doing things

purely for dogma or ritual. Most people really appreciate that we answer

the technology of why we wear turbins, don't cut or shave our hair, recite

banis, are vegetarians and so forth. We follow a "lifestyle" not a ritual,

which sets us apart from many other religions. Many Sikh youth are falling

away from Sikhism because it has been presented to them as a dogma and a

ritual..."do it because I say so...do it because we are Sikhs." We are in

the Age of Aquarius, where those kinds of response don't work any more. In

the Aquarian Age, we must experience to believe. I always tell people,

"Use yourself like a labratory...experience it for your self." There is a

reason we do what we do. In the Siri Guru Granth Sahib it talks about Raj

Yoga. Yoga is a part of our tradition. What do you think Guru Gobind

Singh was doing with his warriors? ...Yoga and meditation. They made them

strong, one pointed and invincible, able to fight off many more than their

numbers. Today, we need this technology to fight off all of the challenges

we have.

So many of the people who write into this site have no clue how to manage

their lives. Telling them to just not do it won't do a thing. They need a

technology to get stronger and centered. If they all had more of a

knowledge of yoga I would refer them to particular yoga sets or

meditations, so usually I refer to a bani or shabd, which I hope they

already know. Those who live in cities where yoga is being taught, go,

study, get the benefit of it for your lives. We have started to teach yoga

in Amritsar and New Delhi. The times are screaming for it. People are

screaming for it. Yes, we are Yogic based...but don't over generalize. We

refer to the Guru just as much. They are intertwined. Try it for your

self. Don't allow your prejedice and ignorace to trying it cloud your

perception. you will lose the opportunity to benefit from this ancient and

effective technology which is very appropriate for today's living.

Blessings.

GTKK

wow... so now without Yoga not cutting hair is a dogma or ritual??????

Here is a reply, that doesn't use the Yoga at all to answer the question, but still answer the question clearly, showing that cutting hair is not a dogma or ritual!

"Because I'm a Sikh, and Sikhs do not cut their hair at all, they also dont get piercings or tatoos, we believe that the body is beautiful as is. They believe that the body is the temple of God. This thing I am wearing on my head is a Sikh turban, it pretty much has 2 purposes, the practical one is to take care of a Sikh unshorn hair, and also for Identity purposes. It is like a crown for the Sikhs, just a a King wears a Gold structure on his head, Sikhs wear one of these ."

Dont get my wrong, I have nothing against Yoga, I think it is a great exersice, but I dont think it should be intertwined with religion. The Youth come to Sikhnet to learn about their religion, not Yoga. 200 years ago so called "Sikhs" who were left to take care of the Gurudwaras when the panth was in battle, and they intertwined the Hindu religion with the Khalsa, I suppose you think thats alright also?

Please, I along with many others would really appreciate it if you could call a meeting or something, and straighten this out. You guys are doing great great great seva, I really mean that, but I just think you need to give the SIKH view and not the Yoga one. After all it is Sikhnet!

VJKK

VJKF

my advice to you penji or pajee would be that instead of gettin upset iz not to visit that site at all and warn those around you , if what you say iz 100% true. Also jee evryone has their own knowledge on aspects of sikhi..and if their saying you dont have to wear kakkars....YOU and I know thats JUST plain D***!! :lol:

The kakkars are sikhi....dont get bogged down by nx people or sites, concentarate on your own iskhi and maintaining chardikala......

vaheguroooooo......if misinfo is happening something will be done....BELIEVE ME!

TakeCare

Deep kaur Khalsax

Sikhnet.com is run by 3HO Sikhs, (mainly western converts to Sikhism). They practice yoga as part of their daily rountines.

Yoga performed as an exercise and not as a ritual it not a bad thing.

137701[/snapback]

that's true. I don't know what's the big deal?

I actually spoke to a few '3H0 singhs' last week (i put it in brackets 'cause they consider themselves sikhs of guru jee) ... they were saying how people have this mis-conception of them.... from what they said to me... they use Yoga as an excercise... its for the body to keep it strong... as well it helps keep their endurance up (i.e. when it comes to sitting in programz for long periods of time)... i saw for myself that some of these singhs who practice yoga can site for HOURS on end without even changing positions... from what the singhs said to me, they don't use yoga to intertwine with sikhi... i think they also said somethin bout helping them concentrate and relaxing themselves... agreed maybe they 'shouldn't' refer to yoga as much as they do, but i don't see anything wrong with Yoga in general...

bhul chuk maaf

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

Here is the link where they siad you dont have to wear kakars:

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/youth.nsf/3...light=0,bathing

Yoga in the Sikhism, our religion should not be intertwined with Yoga, they are 2 different things, but Sikhnet is intertwining to two!

"The Name of the Lord is the enjoyment and Yoga of His servants." - Guru Arjan

"Without the Lord's Name, who has ever found salvation? " - Bhagat Kabeer Ji

"What good is Yoga or indulgence in pleasures?" - Bhagat Kabeer Ji

"All Yoga is in the Name of the Lord" - Bhagat Kabeer Ji

"What is the good of practicing Yoga" - Bhagat Jaidev Ji

"Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga." - Guru Nanak

"Know that Yoga and sacrificial feasts are fruitless" - Guru Tegh Bahadur

"Cannot satisfy themselves by practicing restraint through Hatha Yoga." - Guru Nanak

"This is the Yoga of the Gurmukh: Through the Shabad, he understands his own soul, and he enshrines within his heart the One Lord. " - Guru Nanak

"One who dies in the Shabad and conquers his mind is the true hermit; he understands the Way of Yoga. " - Guru Nanak

"Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, you shall find Yoga." - Guru Amardass

"The Way of Yoga is to remain absorbed in Truth." - Guru Nanak

"O Nanak, without the Name, Yoga is never attained" - Guru Nanak

"Listen, you hermits and Yogis. Without the Name, there is no Yoga." - Guru Nanak

"He tasted the tasteless stone of Yoga." - Bhai Satta & Balavanda

"He (God) is not won over by intuitive wisdom, meditation or Yoga." - Guru Nanak

"The Shabad is Yoga" - Guru Nanak

Kundalini Yoga or other various forms of physical Yoga are mentioned in the Guru Granth Sahib as not being essential to a sikhs life... in other words you can be sikh without practising so called "Kundalini Yoga" so why does Yogi Bhajan lay such a stress on this issue?...WHY ISNT THIS STRESS LAID ON NAAM SIMRAN...If "Kundalini Yoga" is so important why didn't the Gurus include descriptions of the various "saadhanas" in the Guru Granth Sahib..and wy has no other Sikh leader and none of the Sikh Guru's held the title of "MAHAN TANTRIC MASTER" Didn't Guru Ji liberate us from these "saadhanas, tantras and mantras" by giving us the Gur Mantar, the true elixir, the Amrit of the SHABAD, WAHEGURU!The SHABAD is the true Yoga i think if i'm wrong could you correct me.