Shaheeds of 1978

Shaheed Bhai Keval Singh jee Hoshiarpur

File00070.jpg

Bhai Keval Singh, a beloved jewel of the Guru, was born on March 8, 1953 in Hoshiarpur's Prem Garh neighbourhood. Bhai Sahib's parents were Sd. Amar Singh and Mata Satya Kaur. After spending his first 7 years in Hoshiarpur, Bhai Keval Singh moved with his father to Calcutta in 1960. Sd. Amar Singh has a successful transport business in Calcutta.

Bhai Keval Singh was enrolled in school in Calcutta but completed only four grades before he left for Kishan Garh Bihar in 1966 to learn about electric motors. After one year of training, he returned to Calcutta. After returning, Bhai Keval Singh didn't start any job, but just did minor tasks with his family business.

Bhai Keval Singh slowly became attached to the Guru Ghar and Gurbaanee and in 1971/72, received amrit at a smaagam organised by the Akhand Keertanee Jatha.

It was the Guru's will that Bhai Keval Singh became very sick. He began to vomit blood and remained in a coma for 72 hours. 18 bottles of blood and 7 bottles of gulucose were administered and even then there was no improvement in his condition. The doctors too declared their helplessness. But, Vahiguru had yet to take a great service from his beloved one and he himself gave his hand and saved Bhai Keval Singh's life. Bhai Jeevan Singh Ragee of Ludhiana (then Patna Saahib) performed an ardaas for his health and he soon was cured. Bhai Keval Singh then moved back to Hoshiarpur where he met the Singhs and began to keep their company.

Bhai Keval Singh was a gurmu

kh who was filled with warrior spirit. The author ( Bhai Harminder Singh) and Bhai Sahib travelled seven miles every day to learn gatka from a Singh, and soon Satguru jee gave them this skill.

Because some of Bhai Keval Singh's hair had been removed during his sickness, he appeared before the punj pyaaray in 1973 at the Guru Nanak Gurpurab Smaagam in Jalandhar and again received amrit. After this point, he became intensely attached to the Gursikh way of life. Besides doing his nitnem from memory, Bhai Keval Singh would also daily do Sukhmani Saahib and Aasaa Dee Vaar along with many other baanees. He had deep faith in the power of the Guru's word. Once in his home in Hoshiarpur, Bhai Keval Singh again fell sick and felt intense pain in his stomach. His mother offered to call the doctor but he instead asked his younger sister to read Sukhmani Saahib by his bedside. Two or three hours passed while listening to baanee and then he fell asleep. When he woke in the morning, he was completely cured. Such was his deep love for and faith in, baanee.

At his father's request, Bhai Keval Singh returned to Calcutta and helped the family. There too he read baanee and kept the company of Gursikhs. But again according to the will of the guru, Bhai Keval Singh became gravely ill and began to vomit blood. His body became very weak and there appeared to be no hope for his survival. Bhai Keval Singh, recalling this time told us "When my condition had deteriorated to that point, I could see death before me and I begged Guru jee 'True King! I know I must die one day, but father, don't let me die this death. This is the death of alley cats and dogs. Father, in the heat of battle give me martyrdom so I may be liberated from this cycle of life and death! May my body be used in your service'" For a long time he was lost in his vairaag filled ardaas, and Satguru jee then returned him to health.

Bhai Keval Singh was a great fan of weapons and gatka. Whenever he woul

d see a good weapon, no mater what the price, he would purchase it. He would sing the dohra "As Kirpaaan Khando kharag…. "

But where Bhai Sahib was filled with warrior spirit, he was also in love with naam and baanee. If he ever spoke in anger to any Singh, immediately he would with folded hands and deep humility ask for forgiveness. He had limitless love for gursikhs and only lived by seeing them. He didn't have any great attachment to his family, only what was required of him. Sometimes his family members would say "you always go about with the Singhs, don't you have any other work to do?" He would reply "These Singhs are mine own, and I am only for them. Don’t say anthying to me about it."

At his home, he had hundreds of thousands in property and money but he had no care for a ny of it. He lived the life of a fakeer. He had no greed for money at all. Once, I (the author) asked Bhai Keval Singh "You do no work, and you don't listen to your family. Because of this, they're not going to leave you any of their wealth." He replied, "What do I want with their wealth??? I'm going to spend all my life with Gursikhs and only live by seeing them." Bhai Keval Singh never spoke a lie and was very opposed to lying.

In November 1977 Bhai Keval Singh returned to Hoshiarpur and did some minor work for his family, but the Singhs said to him, "Bhai Keval Singh! Don't remain completely free, do some small job." So, two months before the Vaisakhi massacre, Bhai Keval Singh began to work at a store. He would say to the Singhs "with my first pay cheque, I'm going to give the Singhs a langar of ice cream". But before he could do this service with his own hands, he drank from the Shaheedee Battaa. After him, his family fulfilled his request and the Singhs took the langar with deep vairaag.

Bhai Keval Singh was an enthusiastic tabla player and also did some keertan. He would do keertan with profoun

d love. Bhai Keval Singh had supreme faith in Vahiguru. Ten minutes before the massacre, I saw him in high spirits. Bhai Fauja Singh and Bhai Keval Singh were together and when Bhai Fauja Singh fell in a hail of bullets, Bhai Keval Singh lay down on top of him so the Narakdhaarees couldn't strike him with their sticks. But the evil Nirankari Narakdhaarees riddled Bhai Keval Singh with bullets as well and gave him martyrdom.

Bhai Keval Singh had one older brother, Bhai Jagjeet Singh, who is a complete Gursikh. He also had three sisters who are all married. Even though Bhai Keval Singh's death is unbearable for his family, his sacrifice is still unparalleled and is a guiding star for coming generations.

With these four lines, I close:

For the sake of the Faith, Keval Singh gave his martyrdom

He spilled his blood to wake the sleeping Kaum.

In this way is the respect of Sree Guru Granth Saahib preserved

By being cut to pieces, he left us with a glowing ideal.

http://www.tapoban.org/kewal.htm

Shaheed Bhai Fauja Singh Jee, Amritsar

File0003.jpg

Bhai Fauja Singh was born on 17th May 1936 in District Gurdaspur. His father Sardar Surain Singh was a middle class farmer. After the formation of Pakistan they moved to the village of Gazneepur which is 6 miles on the Gurdaspur Dera Baba Nanak road.

During his childhood days Fauja Singh always used to be the leader of boys of a similar age in his village. He got baptised while he was studying in the tenth class, but because he did not receive the gift of Naam, the spiritual hunger inside him did not disappear and his mind was always elsewhere. At this small age he disappeared from home for one month and stayed with some Sants and Sadhs. After passing the tenth class he enrolled in Khalsa College, Amritsar, but still his mind was elsewhere. He then again disappeared. His family looked for him everywhere and even advertised in the papers. He stayed away from home for 2 years at the Deras of the Sants and Sadhs to try to satisfy his spiritual hunger. A false Sadh gave him a Mantar on which he meditated for 2 years. Then he was found and brought home and his family again put him into College.

During the time when Bhai Fauja Singh was in college, he mixed with some bad company and went away from Sikhi. But Guru Maharaj quickly put him back on the right path. In 1964, he got baptised at a smagam organised by the Akhand Kirtani Jatha. On Vaisakhi 1965 his marriage took place with Bibi Amarjit Kaur and on this occasion Bhai Jeevan Singh performed the Kirtan. At the age of 28 Bhai Fauja Singh again took up the appearance which

was most loved by the Tenth Guru. Whoever the Guru blesses, he shows that person how to wear the uniform of Akal Purakh`s Khalsa army.

Bhai Fauja Singh learnt Gatka and persuaded other young Sikhs to learn it as well. He was the best Gatka player in the area and there was nobody around who could beat him.

"I have been in the Jatha for quite a while now and have been lucky enough to meet many highly spiritual Sikhs of the Guru. Bhai Fauja Singh was different, he had Bir Ras and Nam Ras. Bhai Fauja Singh was always ready to fight against un-righteouness and stand up for the truth. Some highly spiritual Singhs from the Jatha told him to just meditate. They did not think that in these peaceful times there would be a need for our peoplc to give "Shaheedi". The Sikhs gave "Shaheedi" at the time of the Gurus because the Hindu Rajas, Mughal and Pathan rulers where trying to destroy the Sikh religion. But now the situation was different. Some brothers even joked about his Bir Ras."

(Prof. Gurmukh Singh).

After 1970 Bhai Fauja Singh started doing a lot of Seva for Gursikhs. He worked around Amritsar. He used to spend all the wages he and his wife earned on the Seva of the Singhs. Bibi Ji told us that sometimes he used to say "All the money we spend on ourselves is wasted but the money we spend on doing Seva for the Gursikhs is not wasted and is saved in our bank". Then he would say "The tenth Guru formed the Khalsa by shedding his blood. When this plant gets dried up, it needs more blood. Then the Guru`s beloved ones spill their blood to keep the Khalsa`s flag flying. This cycle comes approximately every 50 years".

According to Bhai Fauja Singh the Khalsa Panth's plant was drying up due to the cycle. He used to say to his companions that there is a lot of disrespect taking place of our religion and future generations will ask what were our forefathers like, who accepted everything quietly.

The Akhand Kirtani

Jatha has been doing the Panth's Seva through Kirtan, Gurbani, with the help of strict Gurmat Rehat Rehni. There have been many beloved ones of the Guru but few of them have persuaded the Panth to give Shaheedi as part of Panthic Seva. We all take Amrit on the condition that after that day our head is the Guru’s, and when the need arises we shall not say "no" to laying down our head. We hear and read in the Ardas daily how our forefathers gave up their lives for their religion, cut their limbs and followed Sikhi until their last breath without a single hair being separated from their bodies. All these events seemed like past history, but the massacre at Amritsar has made the memory of those Shaheeds alive.

The words of Shaheeds are special. The spiritual bliss they get from reading verses like "Purja Purja Kat Marai Kab Hoo Nah Shadai Keth" only they know. Bibi Amarjit Kaur said that during his last six months, Bhai Fauja Singh kept saying to her, "Bring a picture of my dead body in front of you. Will you be able to bear it? Be strong and don't despair." Bibi Ji realised that one day he would give his life for the Panth.

Bhai Fauja Singh used to say some very special things and everybody would wonder where he discovered these truths. He used to say that a greedy person could never be religious. To be a religious person you have to be honest and content and live by the Will of God. He had honesty, meditation and contentment. He ate what he received happily, and was never greedy, living by the will of God.

"I first met Bhai Fauja Singh in 1972 at the Darbar Sahib. He did not know me but he said his Fateh to me and met me like we had been old friends. He took me to where he was staying and kept me there for two or three days. During this first meeting he told me something very secretive which I am sharing with the readers after his Shaheedi. He told me that in his previous life he was in Baba Deep Singh's Jatha and became Shaheed at Lohgarh. Now ag

ain he has done Shaheedi for the Khalsa Panth in the holy city of Amritsar near Lohgarh. Those that have seen and met Bhai Fauja Singh all agree that he was filled with the spirit of "Mohai Marnai Ka Chow Hai".

Shakespeare said "What's in a name?", but the name Bhai Fauja Singh given to him by his parents, from the Hukamnama of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, was definitely a true picture of him. Bhai Fauja Singh really was a soldier of the Guru`s army in this and his previous life."

(Prof. Gurmukh Singh)

In August-September 1977 in Gurdaspur Jail, he wrote a poem under the title of Kurbani. This was probably his first and last poem because as far as it is known, he was not a poet. This poem was written 7-8 months before his Shaheedi. There are two main points that come to light. First is the declining state of the Khalsa Panth. The soul that has met the Khalsa in his last life and gave his blood for that Khalsa, how can he accept the present situation? Even though he was only. 42 years old, because he had been doing the Seva of the Khalsa Panth, the one or two events that happened in Amritsar were intolerable for him. The incident that took place in the Misri Bajar in 1972 in which the Guru Granth Sahib Ji was treated with disrespect showed Bhai Fauja Singh's true personality. He was a farm inspector at the time. Even the police were scared to arrest the criminals. Bhai Fauja Singh intervened and caught the criminals and punished them accordingly. He was very saddened by the fact that our Panthic leaders tried to keep the whole incident quiet in case it may lead to some Hindu-Sikh conflict. He could not understand how a Sikh could quietly sit by as somebody was insulting or treating the Guru Granth Sahib Ji with disrespect. He always had one question in his mind, "What has happened to the Khalsa Panth?"

The question arose again on 17th October 1975. The Sikh Sangats were celebrating Sangrand at Gurdwara Bhai Salo

Ji. The Langar was being served at the time. Some thugs came and treated the Guru Granth Sahib Ji with disrespect and beat up the Sevadar and Granthi of the Gurdwara. They also made plans to burn down the Gurdwara Guru Keh Mehal that night. When Bhai Fauja Singh heard about this incident in the evening he got together some Singhs and went there straight away.

First they went to see the disrespectful treatment of the Guru Granth Sahib Ji at Gurdwara Bhai Salo and the damage done to the Gurdwara. After seeing this incident the Singhs started shouting "Sat Sri Akal" and went off to protect Gurdwara Guru Keh Mehal. The thugs surrounded the Singhs from tall buildings on all four sides and started throwing stones, bricks and acid bottles at them. Even though the Singh's clothes and bodies were covered in blood, they did not care for their own lives and protected the Gurdwara from being burnt down. After 1972, this was the second painful event to happen at the Sikh headquarters, Amritsar. The Panthic leaders at that time pretended as if nothing had happened and accepted no responsibility even though so much damage had happened at the Gurdwara.

The result of these actions by the Singhs was that the troublemakers now knew that one lion among sheep was more than enough. After this second incident in 1975 Bhai Fauja Singh did not sit quietly at home. Guru Maharaj stopped his daily presence at the office at the end of October 1975. He received money sitting at home, and he assumed this to be God's blessing. He said laughingly in Jan 1978 to Prof. Gurmukh Singh, "Satguru is having his Seva done and is giving my wages from the Punjab Government."

After the 1975 incident Bhai Fauja Singh organised a new programme. He mentioned in his poem that "the Joth (Light) in the Khalsa was disappearing and we will again awaken it". In June/July 1976 a group of Singhs commenced religious preaching in 10 villages in Gurdaspur over 10 days. Prof Gurmukh Singh was lucky enough to be a

mong this Jatha. Bhai Fauja Singh had a very bad impression from the previous incidents regarding Sikhs living in the cities, and thought that they were not prepared to sacrifice their lives.

So he turned his attention to the villages so that perhaps the sleeping Panth, which was asleep in village life, may be awakened by telling them; about Satguru`s history, performing Gurbani Kirtan and taking Amrit. This Jatha also held Gatka demonstrations. After the Kirtan, Bhai Fauja Singh would talk to the Sangat and this had a good effect on the Sangat. A similar Smagam was held in March 1977 for 15 days at Khalsa Farm, where Bhai Fauja Singh persuaded young Sikhs to learn Gatka and told them of the problems of the Sikh Panth today, They also performed Kirtan and meditated.

During this period, another incident happened which again showed the courage and spirit of Bhai Fauja Singh. The Police arrested a Hindu woman. During her interrogation, the Police officers began to rape her. Her husband, unable to stop her from being gang-raped, went to the magistrates to secure her release and file a complaint about the Police. However they refused to intervene. He then went to various pundits and mullahs for help, but none wanted to go against the Police. Eventually he went to the Singhs. People had informed him of a Singh called Bhai Fauja Singh of Amritsar. Bhai Sahib had become very prominent due to his fearless attitude. He immediately went to see Bhai Sahib, who at once with some Singhs went to the Police station. On seeing the pitiable state of the woman, he immediately released the woman, and severely punished the guilty police officers. Later he was sent to prison for this action. However he showed that the Khalsa which rescued innocent women in Sikh History, is still alive today to save humanity from injustice.

In the poem "Kurbani" Bhai Sahib warns the Khalsa Panth about the disrespect of the Siri Guru Granth Sahib taking place everywhere, which he could not tolerate. He coul

d not accept the insults at Guru Maharaj from the Nakali (fake) Nirankaris. At the end of the poem Bhai Sahib writes that my head is yours, Vaheguru, and I shall offer it to you. Bhai Fauja Singh was a great soldier, who selflessly and joyfully spent his life in fighting against injustice and standing up for the truth.

For over 30 years the Nakali Nirankaris have tried to oppose the Sikhs. They would speak wrongly in front of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji; they would call the Kar Seva in Harmander Sahib, Bikar Seva; make fun of the Rehat-Rehni; say that Gurbani was meaningless, and insult the Panj Pyarai. Even though all this was happening the Sikh leadership closed its eyes and ears and did not care about the deeply hurt minds of the Sikhs. Because of this stance taken by the Sikh Panth, the Nirankaris grew in confidence. They grew so much in confidence that on the day of the birth of Khalsa, the Vaisakhi of 1978, in Amritsar, their leader sat under a canopy with a fan being waved over him, and held a procession through the streets boasting that Guru Gobind Singh Ji made 5 beloved ones and I have made 7 stars, (Sat Sitaraes).

At this time the Akhand Kirtani Jatha Smagam was taking place and Bhai Fauja Singh was doing the Seva of kneading the flour for the Langar. Immediately after hearing the news he went outside to where everybody was gathered. Together with some other Singhs, he made a decision on what to do and then started the Ardas. This was his Shaheedi Ardas and the last Ardas that he ever did.

On the day of Vaisakhi 13th April 1978 about 125 Singhs went to peacefully protest against the Nirankari procession and against Nakali Nirankari Gurbachan Singh's insults against the Gurus. Bhai Fauja Singh was barefooted and all the Singhs were reciting Gurbani. The Nakali Nirankari army fired at the unarmed Singhs, and Bhai Fauja Singh and 12 other Singhs became Shaheeds and 70-75 Singhs were wounded. After his Shaheedi, the Leaders and Jathedars of the Panth stated that Bhai Fauja

Singh and the other Singhs had given "Shaheedi" for the great task from which we had been hiding. They had not only woken the Panth, but also made us stronger, so that we can pay more attention to this in the future.

http://www.tapoban.org/fauja.htm

Shaheed Bhai Raghbeer Singh

shaheed11.jpg

Shaheed Bhai Raghbeer Singh was born in village Bhagoopura Dist. Amrtisar on March 10, 1947 to Sd. Nvaab Singh and Mata Paal Kaur. Bhai Raghbeer Singh studied till the eight grade in his home town and then in 1963 he moved to Poona with the army's Bombay Engineering Group. After five years of service, he in 1968, he had his name cut from the army's register and moved to Patiala.

I (Bhai Kirpal Singh Ambala Chaunee) first met Bhai Ragbheer Singh in Poona on December 14, 1966. I was serving in the military and had been transferred to the Training Battalion #1 in the Bombay Engineering Group. I was a clerk in the office while Bhai Sahib was an engine fitter, but because he was known as a Gursikh, he was also responsible for the seva of the gurdvara. I had an idea that this young man had good karma, and it would be good if he became even more attached to the Guru.

Weekly keertan programs were being held under the organization of Prof. Beant Singh jee and I encouraged Bhai Raghbeer Singh to attend these smaagams. I had with me a tape player and every day for a month, we would listen to tapes of Bhai Mohinder Singh SDO, Bhai Joginder Singh Talvara and some other Bibis. Some other Singhs would also come to listen, because Poona has many good Singhs. Bhai Raghbeer Singh was struck by the sweet arrows of baanee and keertan, and as a result, he memorised his nitnem banees and began keeping the five kakaars. One day he made a request before me: "The Singhs who's voices you play on the tape player everyday, please let me me

et them in person and please have the punj pyaaray bless me with the gift of amrit-naam."

I replied, "come to the Ludhiana smaagam this Vaisakhi and appear before the punj pyaaray and you will receive this gift" Bhai Raghbeer Singh replied "I am an unknowing child, and no one knows me. Please, can you take a leave and accompany me to arrange this?" I was at that point based in Ludhiana.

Bhai Saahib had some trouble in securing a leave for himself but he said "I don't care what happens, I will be in Ludhiana by Vaisakhi, no matter what the cost". I had already arranged a two-month leave for myself and we both went to Prof. Beant Singh, who was close with many officers. Prof Saaib phoned Bhai Raghbeer Singh jee's officer and asked for a 10-day leave, and like this the leave was approved within one hour.

Both Bhai Raghbeer Singh and I boarded the train to Ludhiana on April 9 1967 and arrived at amrit vela on April 11. On Vaisakhi day, Bhai Raghbeer Singh appeared before the punj pyaaray and received amrit-naam. He immediately became solid in the Gurmat way of life and stopped dealing with his manmukh associates. Bhai Saahib didn't even return to his village but came back to Poona and busied himself with earning the profit of naam.

When I returned to Poona after my 2 month leave, Bhai Raghbeer Singh was overjoyed to see me and I too felt lucky to see such a precious jewel of the Guru.

Bhai Sahib never was asleep after 12AM and after bathing, engaged himself in naam abhayas until day-break. In a short time, he memorised nitnem, sukhmani saahib, aasaa dee vaar, ramkali kee vaar, and many other baanees. He would prepare his own food but because the army forbade this, he had to stop. At that time, I was living with my Singhnee and asked Bhai Saahib to take his food from our house.

One Singh from Poona, Bhai Gurcharan Singh arranged for an akhand paath saahib at his house from Dec 21 1967 to Dec 25, 1967 and with the blessings o

f Akaal Purakh, Bhai Raghbeer Singh listened to the entire paath in one sitting without any food or water. After the bhog, he then listend two six hours of keertan in the same seated position. He felt no fatigue at all. Bhai Saahib would also do keertan from memory for hours on end and was a very good akhand paathee. Soon, in addition to nitnem, he began to do sukhmani saahib, aasaa dee vaar, basant kee vaar, ramkalee kee vaar, shabad hazary P: 10, Svaya: Deenan kee pritpaal karay, chaupai: pranvo aad ekankaaraa, akaal ustat, barmaha maanjh & tukharee, salok M: 9, Gujri kee vaar M: 5 and many other shabads daily, from memory.

After some time Bhai Saahib was free from military service with the help of his older brother Cpt. Piara Singh. Cpt. Piara Singh had hoped that Bhai Raghbeer Singh would return to the village and work on the farm, because no one was left behind to do this. Bhai Saahib refused to return to the village because he said "the conditions there are not right. If I return, I will lose everything" I and Prof Beant Singh sent him to Patiala to the Soora printing press because Sooraa needed a compositor. So, Bhai Raghbeer Singh began working at Soora for Rs. 60 a month. He would always cook his own meals. Later, Bhai Sahib began to work in the Parkash Printing Press.

Bhai Raghbeer Singh always enjoyed studying. He would study, cook his food, do his nitnem and then go work in the press. Doing all this was too difficult so Bhai Sahib left the service at the press and engaged himself exclusively in naam-banee and study. From 1968 to 1973 he studied hard and did much naam-baanee. I too arrived back on pension on February 7th, 1970.

Form October 7th, 1970 to November 1st,, 1970, the Jatha, under Bhai Mohinder Singh SDO did a preaching tour in the entire area. Bhia Raghbeer Singh along with Bhai Fauja Singh accompanied this tour and served in the Punj pyaaray.

Bhai Sahib spent a lot of time in Patiala with Bhai Manohar Singh Red Cross and Bhai Surjeet Singh Truck-valey.

He spent some time in Ludhiana with me studying. He completed the following degrees: Metric, Gyanee and then a BA.

At Smaagams, Bhai Sahib would lovingly do seva in the langar. When I would have a smaagam in my home, he would with enthusiasm do this service. When Bhai Saahib was studying, I never let him have any financial problems. Suchay Patshaah himself had given me this duty. He loved me greatly and considered me his father.

On November 11, 1973, Bhai Saahib was hired as a clerk at the Patiala University and then on February 1st 1975, he began as a clerk at the Punjab and Sindh Bank in village Sonaam Dist. Sangroor. Until his martyrdom, Bhai Raghbeer Singh worked here.

Bhai Raghbeer Singh spoke very sweetly and was of a very good nature that made him everyone's favourite. His smiling face would win everyone over. He was filled with vairaag and would do a tearful ardaas for up to a half-hour. For hours at amrit vela he would mediate loudly on naam. The echo of his naam meditation made it seem as if many Singhs were meditating together.

With Bhai Sahib's encouragement, many people became Singhs in village Sonaam. He was such a giving individual that at his bhog after the martyrdom, one person told us that "a Singh is ordered to give 10% of his earnings to the Guru, but Bhai Saahib was such a jewel of the Guru that he would live off of the 10% and give the rest to the Guru"

Bhai Raghbeer Singh was married on October 18, 1975 to Bibi Hardev Kaur the daughter of Cpt. Ram Singh village Botala dist. Kapoorthala. This marriage was an ideal example of a Gursikh wedding: there was no party with the groom, and no shows like at manmukh weddings. There was only him and his father. Four other Gursikhs accompanied him and that was the entire groom-party. No instruments, no bands, no milnis.

http://www.tapoban.org/raghbeer.htm

Shaheed Bhai Hari Singh Jee

Hari.jpg

Giani Hari Singh was from a very poor family but despite this he always was satisfied and never asked for any worldly boons. He along with his family was peshed in an amrit sinchaar organized by the AKJ for naam dee daat and this event had a very profound impact on his life. Giani Hari Singh was in Amritsar for the smaagam and went with the procession.

http://www.tapoban.org/hari.htm

------------------------------------------

Shaheed Bhai Harbhajan Singh Jee

File0010.jpg

Bhai Harbhajan Singh received amrit at a smaagam organized by the AKJ and slowly began to keep a Khalsa lifestyle. Although we’re still working on a full biography, an interesting incident from his life is the event which prompted him to fully keep BaNa. Bh. Harbhajan Singh would always wear the most up to date fashions with a stylish dastaar and generally Western clothing. This all changed one day when Bh. Harbhajan Singh was traveling on a crowded bus one day and a young woman who was standing near him place her foot in a provocative way on his leg. Bh. Harbhajan Singh felt incredibly uncomfortable but could do nothing. When he finally was able to get off the bus, he slapped himself over and over and cursed himself “If you hadn’t been dressed in these clothes and looked like this, she would never have had the courage to tempt you that way”. From that day forward, Bh. Harbhajan Singh always wore blue

BaNa and a round dumalla. Even in his office job, he never left BaNa.

http://www.tapoban.org/harbhajan.htm

----------------------------------------------------

Shaaheed Bhai Ranbeer Singh Jee

ranbeer.jpg

Bhai Ranbeer Singh was employed in the Indian Army but upon his retirement he began to do sangat with Singhs of Jatha Bhindraa(n). He was highly influenced by Baba Kartar Singh and joined the Jatha and soon he became a GurbaaNee teacher at Metha Chowk.

http://www.tapoban.org/ranbeer.htm

Shaheed Bhai Avtar Singh jee Kurala

File0005.jpg

Bhai Avtar Singh was born in 1912 in village Kurala, distirict Hushaiarpur. His mother's name was Dhan Kaur and Father Sd. Bhagvan Singh. Sd. Bhagvan Singh was was in the army and due to his bravery, was awarded a large estate in Chak # 4 Montgommery (now Pakistan). Because of this, the entire family moved to the estate. Bh. Avtar Singh studied up to the 10th grade and the got married to Bibi Gurbachan Kaur. Until partition, Bhai Avtar Singh farmed on the Montgommery estate. After partion Bhai Avtar Singh moved back to Kurala and began to farm the lands there.

It was here in Kurala that Bhai Avtar Singh met bh. Harnam Singh/Pritam Singh and because of his sangat, began to read the books of Bh. Saahib Randheer Singh jee. By reading these books, Bhai Avtar Singh's lifestyle took a major turn and the desire to receive amrit, take on Gursikh Rehit and then meditate on naam blossomed. In this way, he began to attend smaagams at Dassoaa, Talvara, etc. He also went to Model Town Ludhiana and had the opportunity to receive the loving blessing of Bh. Saahib Randheer Singh jee.

Finally on Apr 13, 1961 during the Vaisakhi Smaagam in Ludhiana, he along with his wife became full-fledged Khalsas and began to live a life of vairaag and simplicity. Where he adopted the dress of the Khalsa (BaNa) he also took on the difficult rehit of sarbloh bibek which he mantained for the rest of his life. By looking at his pure lifestyle, many others were inspired and received amrit along with their families.

Bhai Avtar Singh mi

xed so much with the AKJ that he would attend every smaagam and would enjoy naam-baanee and keertan. In 1968, the AKJ went on a pilgrimage to Patna Saahib and Hazoor Saahib, doing keertan everywhere en route and Bhai Avtar Singh also went on this trip. He would serve in the Punj Pyaaray wherever the need arose.

Bhai Avtar Singh's desire to remain alone in worship was so great that he left his house in the village and made himself a room on his farmland where he brought Sree Guru Granth Saahib and would in uninterrupted serenity continue his worship. He would, until his final days, be continually engrossed there in a deep samadhi.

After 12AM, he would rise and bathe and then until sunrise would with great enthusiasm and vigour meditate on naam.

Finally the call from the eternal home came. Bhai Avtar Singh left to attend the AKJ's Sri Amritsar Vaisakhi smaagam, and when leaving, he called together his entire family and gave them all his love, telling them to remain solid in the Gursikhi lifestyle and keep love between each other. He told them he would now not return. Bhai Avtar Singh's intention was to spend the rest of his time at Khalsa Farm dist. Gurdaspur and do parchaar in the villages surrounding that area. But the lord desired something else. He arrived at the Vaisakhi Smagam and was the first Shaheed of that bloody day.

Those who saw Bhai Avtar Singh's martyrdom first hand tell us that the so-called Nirankari butchers hit Bhai Avtar Singh with a bullet, which caused him to fall to the ground. Bhai Avtar Singh sat up and knowing his end was near, began to loudly recite naam and soon fell into smaadhee. In this position, the butchers hit Bhai Avtar Singh's uncovered head (his dumalla had fallen off when he fell to the ground) with so many staff blows that his skull cracked. He did not so much as wince and remained in that same position until his soul left his body. His final picture after death, (included in the book) is of him in a deep samadhee.

r>Bhai Avtar Singh had 5 sons and one daughter: bh. Kirpal Singh, bh. Harbaksh Singh, bh. Ikbaal Singh, bh.Rattan Singh and bibi Surjeet Kaur.

In this same bloody episode, Bh. Ikbaal Singh was also injured by an arrow and bullet to his waist.

http://www.tapoban.org/avtar.htm

Shaheed Bhai Piara Singh jee Bhungarnee

File0008.jpg

Bhai Piara Singh was born of Feb 2, 1954 to Sd. Kishan Singh and Mata Bhago jee in village Bhungarnee Hashiarpur district. Bhai Saahib had two sisters and two brothers. The family was engaged in farming.

On July 10, Bhai Piara Singh joined the air force. Because he was of such a sweet nature, he became a favourite amongst his colleagues and officers.

Bhai Piara Singh was transferred to Assam and here he met Sgt. Pritheepaal Singh who was a devout gursikh. By doing sangat with Bh. Pritheepaal Singh, Bhai Piara Singh's life underwent major changes. He began to learn more about gurmat and read Bh. Sahib Randheer Singh jee's books. Very soon, he attended an AKJ smaagam and was peshed before the punj pyaaray where he received amrit and became a Singh. He was so coloured in naam that he would spend 24 hours a day either reciting banee or meditating upon naam. He would rise at 2AM and then after bathing would sit for 2 hours of naam abhyaas. After nitnem, he would go to the Gurdvara Saahib and recite Sukhmani Saahib and Asa Dee vaar. Because he was known as a devoted Sikh in his army Unit, he was put in charge of the gurdvara saahib.

In a small amount of time, he memorised a lot of baanee and would constantly be reciting it. If someone would try to speak with him, with the motions of his hands, he would stop them. He would often say "don't talk too much, just keep yourself occupied with naam and baanee". He would not let anyone speak with him on the way to gurdvara saahib and would

always recite some shabad or be doing some baanee. He would encourage his companions to do the same. If any happiness or pain came into his life, he would never let this break his connection with naam, but let his consciousness remain undisturbed.

Where he became so attached to naam, he also received inspiration to do keertan. He had so much baanee memorised that he would do keertan all night long, from memory and would never tire.

Some time later Bhai Piara Singh was transferred to Hyderabad where he also had a major impact on his fellow soldiers. One writes: "when he came here , it was the first time I had seen him. In my 15-16 year air force career, this was the first person I'd seen who would wear a kurta pyjama with a kirpan over-top. Usually, people here (in the air force) are suited and booted and make themselves out to be English gentleman"

Bhai saahib was filled good qualities and he gave the fragrance of these qualities to all those around him. Many began to read Gurbanee, he taught many others keertan. He would tell some that they should read Sukhmani Saahib, etc.

One of his companions writes that Bhai Piara Singh was of a very soft and polite nature. He would refer to all, from children to elderly women, as "bhain jee", "baba jee" or "bhai sahib" with great humility. Even little children he would address as "bhain jee" or "bhai saahib" only. He taught many children Punjabi. All the children cried after his Shaheedee "when will Piaray Uncle Singh jee come back?". The children called Bhai Piara Singh Piaray Uncle Singh jee out of love.

This same brother tells us that because of Bhai Piara Singh Hyderabad began to have many ran sabaee keertans. In even units 25-30 miles away, Bhai Piara Singh would go to ran sabaees and sit for the entire night, in one position, without any movement.

The brothers in Bhai Piara Singh's unit tell us that he was a very sweet keerta

nee but his passion to listen to keertan was even greater than his desire to perform it. He had a very sweet and loud voice and with is eyes shut and voice filled with bairaag would do amazing keertan. The love-drenched voice which would leave his heart could turn even the most hardened soul into wax.

Another brother writes that whenever there was an akhand paath saahib, he would attend all three days to do seva. He would recite baanee with bairaag and much understanding. In his unit, all began to recite baanee. He would give persuasive lectures on meat and liqour and because of this, many left the use of these.

Another friend writes about Bhai Piara Singh's bibek. At first he would eat from only a Sikh's house, then he made his rehit harder and would eat only from an amritdhaaree and then finally he became a total Sarb-lohi. The air force men would receive food from the mess but Bhai Piara Singh would purchase raw items with his own money and then prepare his own langar. Because his bibek liftestyle was so difficult, Bhai Piara Singh agreed to the idea of marriage. Whenever he would go home to his parents during a leave, his parents would show potential brides but he would not accept any. He said that his future wife should be chardee kalaa and be able to give him proper company in life. In this fashion, his parents kept pressuring him to marry for a long time. Finally Bhai Piara Singh decided to place parcheean (slips of paper) in front of Sree Guru Granth Saahib with a 'Yes' or 'no' towards marriage. Guru Saahib's will was 'no'. Bhai Saahib was a little disappointed but accepted this as hukam and declared he would remain a bachelor all his life. He would say "I will serve the panth".

Shortly before his shaheedi, some Singhs encouraged him to marry saying that the life of a householder was the way of Gurmat. He told them "I can not refuse you (Singhs) but it is not in guru jee's hukam for me" Due to the wishes of others

, he did become engaged, but became shaheed before the marriage.

Whenever Bhai Piara Singh would do ardas, he would ask "for the reason you have given me this life, let me fulfill that cause." From his heart, he would beg for Shaheedee.

Bhai Piara Singh's fellow Singhs in the Unit write that he would never tell anyone of his inner spiritual experiences. He would contain the un-containable. If someone asked and put a lot of pressure on him, Bhai Piara Singh would simply say "I don't know anthing, but yes, the books (Bhai Saahib's books) contain everything"

In his leaves, he would not go home to his parents sometimes but would just attend Jatha smaagams. Out of his dasvandh, he would purchase items for the gurdvara saahib but would not let anyone know he had done the seva. He would let no one know of his dasvandh. He would let no one serve him, instead, he would be happy serving others. Because of naam, humility and sweetness had completely filled his entire being. The brothers from his unit write "we are so lucky we had the opportunity to do his darshan and had the chance to hear baanee and keertan from his voice and took so many qualities from him"

Finally, one brother writes, "on Apr 14 1978 we read in the newspaper of the bloody events in Amritsar. We were thinking that Bhai Piara Singh certainly goes to these smaagams, was Bhai Piara Singh one of those shaheeds? That was exactly what happened. On Apr. 18 we received a telegram from Bhai Piara Singh's father that Bhai Piara Singh had died on April 13. Nothing else was written in the telegram, but we understood that he had attained martyrdom in Amritsar. In his memory we held an akhand paath saahib and sangat from far and away came to attend. We all felt his loss and all his friends were left with tears in their eyes. We think of his qualities and the love he showed us and the waves of vairaag begin to rise within us."

Soora Editior's note: This was a very

hidden gem of the AKJ. He would remain hidden in the sangat and wouldn't let anyone know about his presence. He would come enthusiastically to Jatha programs and would remain fixed in Naam simran. His desire to meet his lord increased day by day yet he continued to remain in his simple, innocent avasthaa. At first glance, no one would think he was filled with such hidden qualities. During keertan smaagams, he would remain alone and would speak very little.

Before the 1978 Vaisakhi smaagam, he had a two-month leave, but did not return to his village. He went to all the keertan programs around village Manan for a month and then from there, he came directly to Sri Amritsar for the smaagam.

Out of his dasvandh, he subscribed many people from his Hyderabad unit and his home village of Bhungarnee to Sooraa. He also anonymously gave many people Bhai Saahib Randheer Singh's books.

The most astonishing thing is that very few people knew Bhai Piara Singh was an excellent keertanee. At Jatha smaagams, he would let no one know.

The effect of this beloved ones' shaheedee was so great, that his mother and father on April 23 1978, during the smaagam in the shaheeds' memory at Akaal Takhat Saahib, vowed to also receive amrit like their son .

In village Bhungarnee, in Bhai Piara Singh's memory, the villagers held a massive shaheedee smaagam. This village has a gurdvara dedicated to Guru Har Rai Saahib and the sangat comes together often.

Bhai Piara Singh's shaheedee has caused an awakening in the sangat of Doaba and filled it with the spirt of fearlessness and self-sacrifice in the name of Sikhi. These Shaheeds have given the Quam new pride and their martyrdoms will shine like glowing stars for eternity.

http://www.tapoban.org/piara.htm

Shaheed Bhai Gurcharan Singh Jee

shaheed5.jpg

Bh. Gurcharan Singh jee was born in a family with a long association with the AKJ. His father was Bh. Daleep Singh jee, an old companion of Bhai Saahib Randheer Singh jee. Once, when Bh. Gurcharan Singh was just a little child, his family went to Narangval to meet Bh. Saahib. When young Gurcharan Singh met Bhai Saahib, the two started a naam abhyaas hug. As everyone watched, neither Bhai Saahib nor the little child would let go and the hug lasted for a very long time.

Bh. Gurcharan Singh attended all smaagams and did sevaa.

http://www.tapoban.org/gurcharan.htm

--------------------------------------------------

Shaheed Bhai Amreek Singh Jee

shaheed1.jpg

Bhai Amreek Singh jee was a young Singh who was given the title of “Jathedar” by the Akaal Takhat Saahib because he brought a large group of sangat to Akal Takhat Sahib for amrit. He was incredibly enthusiastic about Gurmat and was always trying to keep more and more rehit. Before his shaheedee he had started to keep a sarbloh bata with him. On April 13 1978, Bh. Amreek Singh did an ardaas infront of Akaal Takhat Saahib for courage and went in the procession reciting gurbaaNee.

http://www.tapoban.org/amreek.htm

----------------------------------------------------

Shaheed Bhai Dharambeer Singh Jee

shaheed4.jpg

Bhai Dharambeer Singh jee was a resident of Amritsar and made kirpaans for a living. Bh. Fauja Singh also came into contact with Bh. Dharambeer Singh through his kirpaan business. The two soon became good friends and did sangat together. When in 1975 the Singhs went to defend Gurdvara Guru Ke Mehal, Bh. Dharambeer Singh accompanied Bh. Fauja Singh.

Bh. Dharambeer Singh was just learning keertan on the dilruba and a tape exists of him doing keertan.

http://www.tapoban.org/Dharambeer.htm

Guest learner singh

Great post bhaji and this is how saintsoldiers.net organize their website. They should have articles the way you have presented, with full details showing everyone same respect.