Should we have guru jis paintings in the Gurdwara

ggbb

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa waheguru Ji ke fateh!!!!

I went to a Gurdwara sahib in Surrey B.C called Gurdwara Sahib Canadian Singh Sabha the 1st thing i noticed was on one side a massive painting which had Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj and aswell as other gurus also ont he opposite wall they are working on another picture that will have painting of our Guru jis...by the way jarnail singh is painter....the question i have for the sikh sangat on this fourm is shud we have paints of guru jis in the gurdwara sahibs dont get me mistakened here by we are not suppose to even have paitning of the guru jis because that becomes into hinduism wut we refer to as "moortiay" well im ok to a certain point if they have become a "custom" to have them in houses but in gurdwara sahib they shudnt be allowed there...ive seen lots of ppl looking at the paintings and bowing their head to them in respect and thats just wrong also further more most of the youth that is uneducated about sikhism belives that our guru sahibs did look like this..some might challenge me by saying umm harimander sahib has pics of guru sahibs engraved int he gold but we shud remeber that those engarving are not eh orginals from guru sahibs time after all the gold was put on by maharaja ranjit singh and at that time during their raj many paints were made well anyway.... the question i put forth to the sikh sangat is shud we have them in gurdwara sahib is we shud why or why not please explain...i ask for forgiveness if i have offened anyone thank you

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

No! we cant have the paintings in the gurdwara sahib! :)

infact, we should not have them at all....

btw they are paintings made out of imagination.... not photographs wink2.gif

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

waheguru jee ka khalsa! waheguru jee kee fateh!!

interesting...

personally...i don't think it's a bad thing...it's just a reminder...that these are the Guru's that brought Sikhi to where it is now...

i've gone to the gurudwara as well...and i don't see anyone matha taking...but more looking at it in aw...becuase some of the painting remind us of what the Guru's actually did...for example, Guru Arjun dev Jee is sitting on a thuthee tahvee...

i think most ppl understand that the pictures aren't real...i could be wrong...but i think it's just mutually understood that thas not what the Guru's actually looked like.

about people bowing their head down in respect...i don't see anythign wrong with that...matha taking is a whole different issue...but we bow our head down when we say fateh to gursikhs right?? it's just respect...and respecting a picture might seem a little weird...but if ur thinkig of the Guru and doing it...what could possibly be wrong with that right?

my munmukh opinions anyways..

bhul chuck maaf karna

sandeep kaur

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Pictures will not help us across the world ocean as they will sink. So, there is no need to respect them. Not even bowing to them is alllowed. No sort of pooja murti is alllowed. And its true, we really dont need photos, but pictures can remind us of our history. but they arent needed.

BHULL CHUKK MAFF

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I agree they arent needed as we've sri guru granth sahib ji .. but have u eva tried explainin things to younger kids.. they understand better with pictures.. we do this for our gurmat classes in gurd for younger kids and they understand history better when its explain with pictures as they can visualise better.. well just let the pics be there to remind us abt our history..

Pictures serve as a reminder...

Remember "a pictures says a thousand words"... as long as we understand that these pictures serve no purpose in sikhi, and are there just to remind us of the characteristics of our Gurus, there is no problem in it.

Like most of Guru Gobind Singh ji's pictures have unique clothing, shasters, etc. And Guru Nanak dev ji's pics have a simple libaas (bana), and just gives us some insight as to the background/history of our gurus. Also pictures make you want to learn more about the image.

my two cents ^_^

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

agree with jkaur bhenjee and khalsajee ^_^^_^^_^ but if it only for inspiring then ok and it should be also beacuse kids get very much inspired by seeing our history in pic and then we say katha they understand very easyly and get inspired by sikhe,and if we start praying near it then its wrong pray to wahegurujee and gurujee only.