Bobby Pins In Dastaar, Is It Okay

Guest G-Ks

I have a question blush.gif

Some singhnis use bobby pins to hold up their joora under their dastar. Everyone has different views on that, but the reality is that some girls do not want to tie a dumala and prefer a keski or small dastar but they need to use hair pins (3-4) to hold their joora in place so it does not fall around. Is this really horrible or awful or manmat based, or does Guru ji care more about the kureihts and about love? Is it REALLY bad for your sikhi if a girl does this for a little while, maybe until she wants to die a dumala or something?

I think some singhnis from 3H0 do it and I know there are better alternatives but is it extreeemely wrong to do this? I heard it is not good and the reason is related to fighting in Jung? The bobby pins I have are simple black, made out of plastic and have no metal or wire so it's not like someone can use them to poke into your brain. They are pretty weak and breakable, not strong enough to puncture your scalp (if someone attacked you for example)

Is it ok to use small hair pins once in a while for a girls keskki?

Pins really aren't necessary. A joora should be tied tightly enough to not come loose. Those who wear pins in their joora, usually aren't tying their joora properly and that's why they need pins. It doesn't matter if you wear a dumalla or a smaller dastaar, your joora should still be tight and at the top of your head. I used to wear a small dastaar with pins in my joora because my joora used to be flattened and not a real joora at all. Once I started tying my joora properly at the top of my head, I no longer needed the pins.

the problem with this, singhni, is many bibis want to wear a small dastar and u cant do that nicely without a flat joora. A joora is a joora. I don't think pins are the hugest deal in the world but its probably not the best *longterm* or *forever* solution :)?

if you really need to wear a small dastaar, because of your circumstances, then you can use the pins.

if you wear small dastaar because of insecurity about your IMAGE, then that is the first manmat, not the pins. pins are just an affereffect of small dastaar, and small dastaar (in some situations) could be just a symptom of the main problem: INSECURITY.

What circumstances would make you need to tie a flat dastaar? It often makes one's head look like there IS no dastaar at all, so what's the point then? A dastaar should make a Sikh stand out in a crowd of a million, not blend in with the masses in an attempt to hide your identity.

A joora should be done tightly on the dasam dwaar, not laid out flat over your head in a loose curl...that can hardly classify as a joora. Like I said before, I too used to aim for the flattest joora possible, but it really isn't in accordance with Gurmat. It takes a lot of courage to tie a dastaar, but if you're going to do it, then it should be done right. Tie your joora tightly and you won't need pins to hold it down.

Actually, Bhai Dya Singh Jee's rehitnaama says: "Joora sees ke madh bhaag mein raakhey, aur paag baRee bandey" (Tie a joora on the top middle portion of your head and wear a large turban).

i've seen nothing it guru granth sahib that would even remotely hint at the possibility that having bobby pins is anti-gurmat....

people need to relax....if you wear one great...if you don't use the pins...great...

the real question is how much simran are we all doing....