Does An Amritdhari Have To Marry An Amritdhari

Guest _Gupt_

well i have taken amrit "Akal Takhat" in Amritsar, 5nj pyarey never mentioed about marrying amritdhari with amrit dhari and i don't think it is even written in the rehat that amritdhari is going to marry another amritdhari peroid. Neither i have read in the history.. this is the first time i am hearing this.

khima jeo.

Barik

124767[/snapback]

okay just because they didn't say nethin about it don't mean u can just go do what u wanna do.... like i said above... go and ask them about it before u make any decisions... if THEY say i's okay, then so be it... but ask them first... can't jes go about doin what you FEEL is okay... obvioulsy some things u can, its just practical.. but marriage is a big deal...

Barik, you say you took Amrit at Akal Takhat, and they never said anything about this issue. In the SGPC Rehat Maryada from the official SGPC site,

http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_...hap_eleven.html

it is stated :

Article XVIII

q. A baptised ought to get his wife also baptised.

There is of course ambiguity as to what the exact meaning of this article would be, as in my opinion it shows that it is preferable for a match of "baptized" individuals, as suggested by the word "ought." However, I personally don't believe the description according to the SGPC site is clear enough to suggest it is a neccessity as far as the SGPC Maryada is concerned.

Nevertheless, like I say the ambiguity allows scope to take it either way that it is a must, or that it is preferable.

• 11 years later...
Guest Unknown

An amritdhari can marry someone who has not taken the Amrit because the Amrit is a blessing not something that should be forced on to a partner, if u can teach them about the Amrit and they decide to take the Amrit then that's great, but there is no set rule on an amritdhari having to marry an amritdhari so it is allowed to marry someone who has not taken the Amrit as an amritdhari. 

On 07/10/2005 at 7:21 PM, Barik said:

waheguru.................i think this is funny

Do you know who wrote anand karaj?????????????

our 4th Guru, dhan sri guru ramdas sahib ji in Raag Soohi..

And then there was charna amrit...... not khandey batey da amrit.........so you syaing anand karaj those who participating in anand karan would be sikh aka amritdhari do not make any justice in here.

Anand karan is basically making soul one through the 4 lawa where guru sahib show the right path how to live the life. It is not that just amritdhari can do anand karaj in Guru sahib's hajoori. So if that was the case then before our 10th guru..all the marriges were fake? even at the time of other guru sahib's?

Veerji think it for a second Anand karaj is not just a ceremony for marrige of two person oh vi amritdhari. It's beyond that.. i will try to post a topic about anand karaj soon.

khima jeo,

barik.

l

bro amritdhari means gursikh even if charan di pahul , i.e. totally dedicated to Guru Sahib. 

If one partner is Amritdhari, the other should be as well. In Akal Takht Rehet Maryada, it states that a baptized person 'ought' to have their spouse baptized as well. It says 'ought to get his wife baptized' but it's implied that if the wife is the one baptized then she 'ought' to have her husband baptized. I think this leaves it a bit open ended personally but there are other parts of the rehet maryada which when taken together seem to indicate both spouses should be Amritdhari. The first is 'a sikh should be married to a sikh' and just what defines as a 'sikh' as some say to be fully conisdered 'sikh' you have to be Amritdhari. Then the clause a Sikh's daughter (or son) must be married to a Sikh also comes int play as does idea of not takin jooth from non-Amritdhari. Some say it is possible to marry a non-amrtidhari but that until the other person takes amrit, there can be no intimacy in the marriage (meaning no sexual relations). I'd say to be safe, marry someone who is Amritdhari or if the other person really connects with you, then have a long engagement until they are ready to take Amrit. If there is a true connection there, then waiting for awhile won't kill either of you! 

On 04/02/2017 at 9:37 PM, Guest Unknown said:

An amritdhari can marry someone who has not taken the Amrit because the Amrit is a blessing not something that should be forced on to a partner, if u can teach them about the Amrit and they decide to take the Amrit then that's great, but there is no set rule on an amritdhari having to marry an amritdhari so it is allowed to marry someone who has not taken the Amrit as an amritdhari. 

But the non amritdhari will be breaking the amritdhari away from their rehit so it's a no-no , honestly if you are marrying a partner with that status you are not being forced but are choosing so that means you should be prepared to commit to sikhi properly otherwise what is the point?