Suicide

Guest Guest

Guest Sikh_Singh_Khalsa
I am not sure if the sangat can answer this one but here is a situation then someone amritdhari is going through.

This person has a lot of pyar for and faith in God and leaves everything to Waheguru believing that whatever is God's hukam this person will accept.

So this person follows the hukamnamas for a particluar situation, this person even has dreams of sants encouraging this person to do something and then this person does that-blindly, because they thought it was God's hukam.

But the thing they believed to be Waheguru Ji's hukam does not succeed, if anything this person is left confused,completely comfused because they agreed to do something ONLY because they believed it to be Waheguru Ji's hukam.

So they still love God but this person cannot trust God anymore.

If the point of our human life is to worship God but one has seen sonthing postitive from this and cannot go on praying to God because s/he did but it changed nothing, what should they do?

Committing suicide maybe wrong but is this life not completely useless if they see no point to it? Afterall, they are wasting each day with no goal to achieve apart from wealth and that is pf no use whatsoever but this person does not pray because s/he cannot. It would be like a meaningless ritual as this person would have no faith. Wouldn't it be better to commit suicide and be born again regardless of the pain they suffer, because in the next life they can hope they will not lose faith in God which certainly cannot be regained in this life?

No one is planning to commit suicide though but my question is that do they have any other option?

117305[/snapback]

I don't think so our gurus told us to believe in Supna or Dreams...............

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH:

To the guest who said this:

Wouldn't it be better to commit suicide and be born again regardless of the pain they suffer, because in the next life they can hope they will not lose faith in God which certainly cannot be regained in this life?

I just would like to say faith in God can be regained in this life- Im saying this from my own experience cuple of years ago because ive lost faith in Sikhi n God loads of times (n at times ive been atheistic) But one day everything changed n from a person who was totally anti-Sikh n never believed in anything Sikhi said i believed everything Sikhi said. I know it sounds totally unrealistic but trust me on that its totally true- and as a Sikh i will never lie about things to do with religion n God at all.

Even ive lost faith in God at times and even nearly done something that was going to change my life forever- which thankfully God showed me the way.

N i think this person has to realise that dreams are just dreams they are not direct hukams from God.

Maybe this will help lecture from Yogi Bhajan:

The only way the freedom for karma shall be by living dharma, and getting rid of the parma, simple things. Some people say, why to come for sadhana in the morning. I said so you may not be depressed at night. What is a sadhana? A discipline to conquer the death, conquer the laziness, conquer the duality. Who wants to get up at 3 A.M. and 4 A.M., tell me one person, that's the best time to snore and sleep. Guru says get up because between 3 to 6 you will get terrible dreams and your breath becomes short. It is better to get up and enrich yourself, nurture yourself, grow yourself, than to sleep and snore. Then the western teachings will come through, early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.

Idonot think we can judge sombody elses life and say he has done wrong by commiting sucide. I believe that we are yet not ready tol isten to what people are really saying, there are a lot of people crying out for help, and then just getting on with their life.

Suicide - The Sikh view:

Sikh moral thinking:

Sikhs derive their ethics largely from the teachings of their scripture, Guru Granth Sahib, and the Sikh Code of Conduct (the Rehat Maryada).

Guidance also comes from the example set by the gurus, and from the experience of the Sikh community over the last 500 years.

Suicide:

Sikhs have a high respect for life which they see as a gift from God. Most Sikhs are against suicide, as they believe that the timing of birth and death should be left in God's hands.

The Sikh Gurus rejected suicide, as it is an interference in God's plan.

Many Sikhs faced torture and ultimate death at the hands of tyrant rulers and fanatic leaders, though they could have found relief through suicide.

Suffering, they said, was part of the operation of karma, and human beings should not only accept it without complaint but act so as to make the best of the situation that karma has given them.

The Gurus regarded that man must have the moral courage to bear his suffering without lament.

He should pray for the grace of God to enable him to put up with pain in a spirit of resignation and surrender.

Birth and death are the prerogatives of God and under His command, and it is no business of man to oppose the Divine Will.

Care for others:

Much of Sikh moral teaching is devoted to caring for others who are less fortunate.

This suggests that the Sikh reaction to situations where people think about suicide would be to provide such good care that suicide becomes an unattractive option.

Conclusion:

The Gurus rejected suicide, as we do not have the right to give or take life. Birth and death are the mercy of our dear creator.

Sikhism (as already said) believes that life is a gift from God, but it also teaches that we have a duty to use life in a responsible way.

Thus, it is amply clear that there is no place for suicide in Sikhism. After all suffering is a part of the human condition and has a place in God's scheme. Suffering also prompts man to turn his thoughts to God.

• 15 years later...
Guest karamjot
On 1/6/2021 at 2:42 AM, Guest Bhupinder Singh said:

My mother committed  suicide  i watched every thing in cctv

Sorry to hear that.I hope you have recovered from this traumatic experience.Please be strong brother and never make the same mistake.Depression is a silent killer.Please get help at an early stage.