British Airways

Guest _Harpreet_

Guest _Harpreet_

Sangat Ji I was watching the news yesterday and the day before and whats all this business about the Sikhs geting angry at Gate Gourmet (A singh even stuk a finger up :wub: ) and the BA Heathrow dispute? I fail to understand how the sikhs are involved as it showed the MP or someone entering Southall Singh Sabha Gurdwara Sahib.

It is solely because a large number of the people employed by gate gourmet are Sikhs, and have been affected by what has been happening with the company. A meeting with Union leaders was held at a Gurdwara, this too would likely ahve been because so many of the people involved were Sikhs.

They shouldnt use any gurdwara as a venues for holding meetings in their workplace disputes. I find that disrespectful

And why the hell did some of them take out UNOFFICAL illegal strike? Those who did strike out that day illegally deserved to be sacked but others who were sacked for no reason or fault of their own dont.

Guest _sikh soldier_

why should they not do a meeting in gurdwara

what is disrepectful in that

guest ji you dont have a faint idea why the strike was

i will just give you some facts

the company ran losses of 25 million dollars

the boss of the parent company spent 10 million dollars in a single nite on his birthday bash in las vegas

company planned to sack people and at the same time replace them with people from europe

the protest of people who were to be made redundant were not given any consideration

and when the employees tried to do a meeting to decide plan of action they were sacked by an announcment made on Public address system

is this the way american companies do business?????

and mind you these workers were not on FAT salaries. they were doing 14 hour shifts and earning an average of 11-13 thousand pounds a year

go and ask those who are sacked while they are on sick leave or not even at work.

go and ask those who have mortgages to pay to have a roof over their head and have to earn money so that their children can go to university

what sort of sikhi do you profess???

Sikh Gurdwaras hav always been a place where the need can have shelter, the poor have roof to cover their head, the ill can get treatment, and the sufferes can have their suffering elevated

remember dara shiko was not turned away when he came in sharan of guru arjan sahib even though the army of the time was looking for him and eventually this was a issue which the mughals used to jsutify the martydom of guru arjan sahib

now tell me how is it disrespectful?? please justify

_sikh soldier_,

The reason I say disrespectful is becos say I have a workplace dispute should now I go hold a meeting in the gurdwara? and others who have similiar disputes should we all turn around and cos gurdwara is a free place go their to deal with my personal workplace issues.

I think thats disrespectful to the Gurdwara, to the rest of sangat who have no links to dispute and has nothing to do with Sikhi.

If you have a dispute hold the meeting at a proper venue why distrube the harmony of a place of worship with non-sikhism related issues?

if more than 90% of the people (about 650 in total) are from sikh religion i think they have every right to assemble at th gurdwara sahib and discuss their issues

if you are saying disturbing the HARMONY i dont understand what sort of harmony you are talking about. it was held in the spare hall where harmony is often broken when people come with stuble on face and paag on their head to get married.

this was about the rights of those workers now you tell me should we not give space to people who are worried about their future because th harmony was disturbed and yet let the harmony be disturbed when a wedding party comes charging into the gurudwara with all the pomp and show.

i hope you donot belong to that group whcih says that Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji broke the harmony of darbar sahib complex by fighting for the rights for Punjab.

if more than 90% of the people (about 650 in total) are from sikh religion i think they have every right to assemble at th gurdwara sahib and discuss their issues

if you are saying disturbing the HARMONY i dont understand what sort of harmony you are talking about. it was held in the spare hall where harmony is often broken when people come with stuble on face and paag on their head to get married.

this was about the rights of those workers now you tell me should we not give space to people who are worried about their future because th harmony was disturbed and yet let the harmony be disturbed when a wedding party comes charging into the gurudwara with all the pomp and show.

i hope you donot belong to that group whcih says that Sant Baba Jarnail Singh Ji broke the harmony of darbar sahib complex by fighting for the rights for Punjab.

115763[/snapback]

Your confusing the two issues.

When Sikhs were oppressed and killed indriscriminately Sant Jarnail was the only one who was willing to fight back and rightly so.

But here in UK we have a civil workplace dispute NOTHING to do with religion or Sikhs as a group....only the fact that majority of the strikers are Sikh does it have a tiny bit of relevance.....but lets not draw the situation of Punjab back in 1980's with what we have here in UK.

This is a workplace dispute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT A RELIGIOUS ONE PLZ UNDERSTAND THAT!!!!!!!!!

115763[/snapback]

When Sikhs were oppressed and killed indriscriminately Sant Jarnail was the only one who was willing to fight back and rightly so.

But here in UK we have a civil workplace dispute NOTHING to do with religion or Sikhs as a group....only the fact that majority of the strikers are Sikh does it have a tiny bit of relevance.....but lets not draw the situation of Punjab back in 1980's with what we have here in UK.

115766[/snapback]

first of all the fight in punjab DID NOT start because sikhs were being killed.

the government resorted to killings when sikhs fought for their rights and it became unhandleable for the government to quell the sipirt in the sikhs to fightfor the rights of punjab

the dispute in punjab was a regional one......

about punjab being sucked dry of resources

about punjab being cut off into pieces into haryana and himachal and trying to shift abohar and fazilka into haryana

about punjabs waters eing given to other states

about punjabs electricity being sucked to delhi

and the sufferers were the population of punjab (majority population is sikhs)

so logically sikhs were suffering and sikhs took up the cause for their rights

can you see the relevance about the two situations were rights are involved???

and sikhs wont take it lying down be it students rights, human rights or religious rights or workplace rights

and gurudwara sahib being our central place that is were WE gather and come together when a large chunk of population of that particular area is having ANY sort of problem

gurudwara is not some place where u just go and sit to create HARMONY. it is a central place which is dynamic and gives support of every kind who ever comes there. It was very appreciable of the committee to allow the congregation to take place there as it got good coverage in the media and also sent a message that a whole community is being effected by this issue. moreover the labour union leaders came there and respecting the sikh religion observed the code which every one observes whilst in a gurdwara sahib

it has also sent a message that sikhs can fight for their rights and they know how to make a collective effort and the local community is at the backing of all those effected

and the location being 'surreal' for such a meeting the media was more interested in covering it and the world was watching how they conducted themselves at the meeting. and i know that the people there conducted themselves very nicely (as covered in the media)

and where is the HARMONY when marraiges are conducted? (sometimes the congregation on a marraige can run into 100's aswell)

you tried to avoid that

anyway i am not intereted in arguments and in my opinion the media covered it quite nicely and the sikhs got the much needed exposure they needed and also got seen as different from arabs/moslems.

anyway when there is a natural calamity or a riot or a mishappening we should close the gates of gurdwara to maintain the HARMONY and not allow anyone to come in there with their problems lest they disturb the peace and the meditators sitting therein grin.gif :wub:

115763[/snapback]

115766[/snapback]

first of all the fight in punjab DID NOT start because sikhs were being killed.

the government resorted to killings when sikhs fought for their rights and it became unhandleable for the government to quell the sipirt in the sikhs to fightfor the rights of punjab

the dispute in punjab was a regional one......

about punjab being sucked dry of resources

about punjab being cut off into pieces into haryana and himachal and trying to shift abohar and fazilka into haryana

about punjabs waters eing given to other states

about punjabs electricity being sucked to delhi

and the sufferers were the population of punjab (majority population is sikhs)

so logically sikhs were suffering and sikhs took up the cause for their rights

can you see the relevance about the two situations were rights are involved???

and sikhs wont take it lying down be it students rights, human rights or religious rights or workplace rights

and gurudwara sahib being our central place that is were WE gather and come together when a large chunk of population of that particular area is having ANY sort of problem

gurudwara is not some place where u just go and sit to create HARMONY. it is a central place which is dynamic and gives support of every kind who ever comes there. It was very appreciable of the committee to allow the congregation to take place there as it got good coverage in the media and also sent a message that a whole community is being effected by this issue. moreover the labour union leaders came there and respecting the sikh religion observed the code which every one observes whilst in a gurdwara sahib

it has also sent a message that sikhs can fight for their rights and they know how to make a collective effort and the local community is at the backing of all those effected

and the location being 'surreal' for such a meeting the media was more interested in covering it and the world was watching how they conducted themselves at the meeting. and i know that the people there conducted themselves very nicely (as covered in the media)

and where is the HARMONY when marraiges are conducted? (sometimes the congregation on a marraige can run into 100's aswell)

you tried to avoid that

anyway i am not intereted in arguments and in my opinion the media covered it quite nicely and the sikhs got the much needed exposure they needed and also got seen as different from arabs/moslems.

anyway when there is a natural calamity or a riot or a mishappening we should close the gates of gurdwara to maintain the HARMONY and not allow anyone to come in there with their problems lest they disturb the peace and the meditators sitting therein grin.gif :wub:

115923[/snapback]

Were Sikhs bring singled out for discrimination??? NO

Where they specificially targetted for sackings? NO

It is those people who held an ILLEGAL meeting and took UNOFFICAL strike that deserve to be sacked. It is understandable if people had grievences and wanted a meeting after work or on their own time but during work???? Those people were asking to be sacked and fell into the trap.

As for weddings they are RELEVANT to Sikh's and the religion, it's a joyous occassion. The whole community celebrates the weddings and union of 2 Sikhs. So the gurdwara is furfilling it's purpose.

Lets put it this way had Sikhs been singled out for sackings and DID NOT take unoffical strike action then it would be understandable for them to have the support of the whole community and use the gurdwara premises as a venue for discussing and hold meetings to resolve the dispute. But since the circumstances are different..... i again say it is disrespectful for these kind of meetings to be held in a Sikh place of worship when the dispute does not even have hardly any relevance to the faith.