Press Release : Carol Lay Apologized

S1ngh

http://www.unitedsikhs.org/petitions/right...Release0925.htm

Press Release: Carol Lay Apologizes to the Sikh Community for Inappropriate Cartoon

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 25, 2003

The UNITED SIKHS campaign has been successful in persuading Carol Lay to apologize for her inappropriate cartoons depicting Sikhs. In realizing her mistake, Ms. Lay has taken down the two cartoons, “Foto Funnies” and “Field Guide to Turbans” from her website. UNITED SIKHS thanks the community and all other Sikh activist groups, websites, and email groups who helped support and endorse the petition and its subsequent action.

In her apology, Ms. Lay mentioned that some people have sent her “obscene and vicious hate mail…threatening [her] safety and livelihood.” UNITED SIKHS condemns such action as it believes in finding peaceful ways to resolving issues. Hate mail and threats are not only anti-Sikh behavior, but it continues the cycle of misunderstanding and miscommunication. We therefore request and expect all Sikhs to be considerate and respectful in all forms of communication.

Ms. Carol Lay’s apology can be viewed at http://www.unitedsikhs.org/petitions/right...hts/apology.htm

For further information, please contact:

Gurtej Singh

taskforce@unitedsikhs.org

gurtej.singh@unitedsikhs.org

UNITED SIKHS is a coalition of organizations and individuals, with an unwavering commitment to civic se

rvice and social progress on behalf of the common good. UNITED SIKHS fulfills its mission by informing, educating and uplifting fellow beings by participating in cross-cultural and political exchanges. We at UNITED SIKHS believe that the development of societies can be made possible by socially conscious and active groups of people who make a commitment to humanity.

===================

Dear Mr. Singh

I was happy to take down the cartoons for the sake of the kind and

Concerned people who wrote. My insensitivity to the Sikh situation was idiotic and unfortunate, but please believe that I did not mean to do harm.

As you may have heard, I have been receiving a lot of obscene and

Vicious hate mail, some of it threatening to my safety and livelihood. I am hoping you can take down the petition because it is still inciting ugly hate mail.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

--carol lay

==================

anyway yeah hate mails and threats shouldnt be da way...

ki gal karde ho bibijee ohmy.gif

one guy used to make fun of sardars in front of me...i sent him a threatening email...he stopped :umm:

but ya...try to use them less tongue.gif