MARTIAL ARTS

Akaali

I took some Tye Kwan Do, for about a year, didn't like it too much, too much kicking.

Then i took up some Okinawan Karate, i thought it was pretty good, a well rounded system. Also if you do get into some Tye kwan do, i've noticed that most of them offer too many belts, just so they can make money every time u take a test. Because every test is extra money or it was when i did karate. But Okinawa karate had only 5 belts and did not follow the all of the color spectrum of green/yellow, yellow/ purple, Purple/orange with the striped yellow.....i think u got my point. but watch out for those who offer too many belts.

Hope that helps out some

Waheguru.

This is a good topic. Khalsa Soulja knows alot of about this.

Anyway, my cousin who is 14 years old wants to learn martial arts. His parents have asked me go find out which form of Martial Arts is the best. So I was wondering if you guys could please give me advice on which martial arts my cousin should train in. He wants to learn something very deadly and effective, and please give an explanation for your choice. I will greatly appreciate it.

He wants to learn something very deadly and effective, and please give an explanation for your choice. I will greatly appreciate it.

Get him started in Mui Thai (uses punches kicks and knees), this is the most effective form of any standing martial art.

Brasilian Jui Jitsu is great for fighting on the ground.

Together these 2 martial arts go hand in hand and current champions in mixed martial arts use these 2 forms above anything else.

Yea Vir Singh,

I'm also looking for help on this topic, as to what form of martial arts is most effective, which teaches you self discipline, along with knowing your boundaries...Here's what I'm interested in.......

-Aikido ("way of universal power")

Aikido doesn't focus on exhaustive punches or kicks. The object is to use your opponent's own energy to either disable him (using wrist locks and arm holds) or toss him aside like yesterday's news. This style is much easier for the well-built athlete, since most of the offensive moves are more effective with some extra muscle.

The form comes with a few side benefits. Unlike most martial arts, which require you to pass through 10 ranks before earning a black belt, this Japanese form has only six. After that, you'll be able to sport your very own hakama, the skirt-like pants traditionally worn by samurai warriors.

-Judo ("gentle way")

The object of this Japanese-based art isn't to break boards but your opponent's sense of balance, so having some heft doesn't hurt. Stockier builds also have an advantage executing defensive maneuvers, where extra weight helps anchor the body to the floor.

Being short of breath isn't a problem during the early stages of training, which are spent perfecting handholds, grappling maneuvers and learning how to fall properly. By the time you begin the advanced moves, you should have the endurance you'll need to advance further.

-Muay Thai (also known as "Thai boxing")

To give you a mental image of this lethal style, think Je

an-Claude Van Damme in Bloodsport. A full-contact fighting method from Thailand, it's known as the "science of the eight limbs." Instead of just using your fists and feet, you also pound your opponents with a series of elbow and knee strikes. That's the reason mesomorphs (with a lot of protective muscle around their joints) seem to fare the best at it.

Those interested in competing should expect an early retirement, since serious practitioners have brief careers (four or five years maximum). But if you can endure, you may learn how to pull off one of the most impressive breaks in martial arts at your next company softball outing: splintering a baseball bat to pieces ... with your shinbone.

-Jujitsu/jujutsu ("science of softness")

Despite its gentle translation, this Japanese technique incorporates more dangerous grappling and self-defense techniques than its less-militant progeny judo. But then again, it has to be unrelenting, since the style was originally devised to teach unarmed men how to disable armed soldiers.

Equal amounts of extra poundage, endurance and flexibility all work together to make one of the roughest-throwing martial arts a little easier to master. For those who need more incentive to sign up, this is the style that spawned Brazilian jiu-jitsu, the discipline that dominated the first true Ultimate Fighting Championships.

-Wushu ("arts of war")

If the name isn't familiar, it's because you've been calling this Chinese style by the wrong name: kung fu (which actually means "to master a particular skill"). With more than 300 wushu styles to choose from, wing chun is a solid choice for the guy who lacks body weight and size. Created by a woman, this style enables smaller, lighter people to defeat larger opponents by going after the soft spots that no amount of muscle can protect (eyes, throat, groin, knees and specific nerve points).

Flexibility isn't an issue, since most of the kicks tend to be low (kneecap or shin strikes). Plus, a

set of lean, quick arms makes learning the style's armtrapping technique (chi sao, or "sticky hands") a breeze. If this doesn't sound masculine and virile enough for you, feel content knowing that it's the only style Bruce Lee ever studied formally, and no one ever questioned his manhood.

Waheugu Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguru Jee Kee Fatah

Sadhsangat,

why not try Shastervidiya it has been around for thousands of years and is consistant with our roots. Nidar Singh teaches in England along with Darbadhshah Singh. You dont have to listen to half of the rubbish they speak of but the fighting is fantastic.

Kamalpreet Singh Pardeshi

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Waheguru Jee Kee Fatah