My Brothers Drifting Away From Sikhi

Guest Gurbaksh Kaur

Guest Gurbaksh Kaur

Sadh Sangat Ji.

I'm really helpless. My brother cut his hair at the age of 15/16 and since then it seems as if he's drifting away from Sikhi. Mum, Dad even myself have tried many times to get him back on track. After seeing him my sister who's 14 also started to cut her hair etc....but she still into Sikhi.

My brother never goes to the Gurdwara (since he cut his hair), usualy he would go every week with all of us now he just lies in bed till late. When I try telling him that do Paaht and Simran he would just laugh in my face and call me names saying why you acting all religious you put on acts, him saying that dont afect me because I still love my Sikhi I'm not going to drift away from my Sikhi because he makes stupid comments like them.

I even mentioned to him that I really want to take Amrit and he just laughed in my face saying I can never abide by the rules and stay in rehit if I take Amrit and reminds me of the times when i swear at him.

Day by day I keep thinking he's drifting away from Sikhi. I dont really know what to do to bring him into Sikhi again. Can anyone help in giving thier advice? I would really appreciate it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penji, try to put Paaht/Katha/Vichaar on, whether it's cassette, radio, tv, vcd,dvd. Remind him of the Qurbaniyah out Guru's had made, The Qurbaniyah of the Mahaan Shaheeds. Remind him of our Chohte Sahibzade who were only in their childhood and gave their Qurbaniyah for Sikhi. See if that makes n e difference on him. I'm sure Vaheguru Ji would show him the path of Sikhi one day or another.

Sadh Sangat Ji.

I'm really helpless. My brother cut his hair at the age of 15/16 and since then it seems as if he's drifting away from Sikhi. Mum, Dad even myself have tried many times to get him back on track. After seeing him my sister who's 14 also started to cut her hair etc....but she still into Sikhi.

My brother never goes to the Gurdwara (since he cut his hair), usualy he would go every week with all of us now he just lies in bed till late. When I try telling him that do Paaht and Simran he would just laugh in my face and call me names saying why you acting all religious you put on acts, him saying that dont afect me because I still love my Sikhi I'm not going to drift away from my Sikhi because he makes stupid comments like them.

I even mentioned to him that I really want to take Amrit and he just laughed in my face saying I can never abide by the rules and stay in rehit if I take Amrit and reminds me of the times when i swear at him.

Day by day I keep thinking he's drifting away from Sikhi. I dont really know what to do to bring him into Sikhi again. Can anyone help in giving thier advice? I would really appreciate it.

112189[/snapback]

There is a time in every man's life when he rebels. Have patience and just let him be, because this is just a passing phase.

Usually the people who rebel the most when they are young turn into the most hardcore religious later.

Guest Guest

Why is his relationship with Guru Sahib any worry of yours?

You want to take Amrit and have Darshan of Guru Sahib - good for you. Do as much as you can to fulfill this goal.

For other people they have not got as good Karams as you and it may not be in Guru's Hukam to meet Him in this lifetime.

You willfind many loved ones in this life who go on/off the path; you should focus on yourself. Until you yourself are on a very strong footing with you Sikhi you should need to worry about any one elses. The reason you feel so strongly is because it is you brother and you love him dearly (that is Moh BTW).

possible? maybe, probably not gonna happen though, since ive always been this way..

Brother just remember, circumstances maketh da man.

today your circumstances dictate a certain behaviour, tomorrow the opposite might well be true because no one can predict the future.