tests vs. karma

japmans

gurfateh!

well..for the past 3 months or so, that i have been a member of this group... people will talk about bad things that have happened to them, and how to get through it and such.. responses have generally been that it's a test from Guruji (or a supreme force anyways, i.e God, Waheguru, Satguru..whatever you wish to call it)..

as no offense is offended, i wish to rebel against this view.

Tests have been shown in the Bible as they believe not in reincarnation. every difficulty that arises is to be taken as a test that is to strengthen you. from this we get "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". whether it be with Moses and the Jews, or other famous "tests", the Bible makes it clear that difficulty in life is simply a test.

the problem is that we, as uneducated youth, say the same thing. that gods' just testing us. we make it through and we'll be better off. This is so blatantly wrong. Sikhi is a religion that believs in reincarnation. Thus, picchhlay karam (previous deeds...previous doings) are the only things that bear an impact on our current life. This is certainly true in Sikhi because the simplicity of "being a good person" is emphasized greatly. Our Good Karams now will then benefit us in our aglay janam, just as our picchlay bad karams are bearing an impact on our current life.

People make the argument that every good karam writes off a bad karam. i go against this as well. i say this because, in line with my theory above, good things and bad things happen so often to us. if they wrote each other off, our life would be solely full of good things, or solely full of bad things.. therefore every single thing that you do will

have an effect on your next life.. i guess in a sense this goes with Newtons law, as Every action as an equal (or opposite) reaction, where the equal reaction would be appropriate...

please comment.

no offense was intended

gurfateh!

you can't just say that god does not test us. There are tests given to those who are on the path. I agree with both, the test aspect of it and the Karma aspect of life. If you go to sangat for a while and you feel to begin the change happening in your life. A even might occur to test that if you really have changed or not. Now you can either take that as it was meant to be as a fruit of my bad deeds in teh past life. But it was also a test to see if within you the Anger arose or the worrysome aspect of what is going to happen now. If you have passed the test, you have accepted whatever happened as the doing of Karta Purkh. If not you will complain and cry about something which was obviously your own deeds that came to bite u in ur chittar.

You are tested to see if you have being to grasp:

Dukh Daroo, Sukh Roag Bhai-a

Ja sukh taam na hoi

Tu karta karna mai nahi,

Jo hun kari na hoi

hope that helps somewhat

Waheguru.