Interesting happenings at our Gurdwara...

akjforever

This past weekend at our Gurdwara, a Sikh "Scholar", don't remember the name, came to do some shabad translations. The kids/teens had just finishing doing kirtan, and also some Simran. He begins to translate a shabad and there is a line about naam and naam japna in the shabad. He begins to translate, and then, looking in our direction, he says, let me tell you what naam is. When naam is mentioned it does not refer to a name, it is about a feeling. It doesn't mean to say a certain name physically, it just means that you remember him however you like, and he kept going on that one shouldn't be doing naam japna and so on. It disturbed me a great deal when he said this. We then did anand sahib, with Simran. Sangat jeeo, what are your feelings about this? This person was misleading the sangat. And he is was introduced as a "scholar". I am actually still upset by this.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

This past weekend at our Gurdwara, a Sikh "Scholar", don't remember the name, came to do some shabad translations. The kids/teens had just finishing doing kirtan, and also some Simran. He begins to translate a shabad and there is a line about naam and naam japna in the shabad. He begins to translate, and then, looking in our direction, he says, let me tell you what naam is. When naam is mentioned it does not refer to a name, it is about a feeling. It doesn't mean to say a certain name physically, it just means that you remember him however you like, and he kept going on that one shouldn't be doing naam japna and so on. It disturbed me a great deal when he said this. We then did anand sahib, with Simran. Sangat jeeo, what are your feelings about this? This person was misleading the sangat. And he is was introduced as a "scholar". I am actually still upset by this.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

it is possible he was referring to in which only the tounge is speaking like a parrot with no feeling. Simply reciting the name will not help unless your mind is not along with the ride. With the mind comes the Feeling of reciting the name with love and devotion.

Perhaps u misunderstood what he was saying or he didn't explain himself very well.

Waheguru.

Sadh Sangat Jeeo,

I was present with 'akjforever', when this happened / pretty ironical that this person was introduced to the sangat as a 'learned' man. ohmy.gif

I hope such ppl , refrain from using the Gurudwaara Sahib as a platform for preaching falsehood.

" Laakh Jehbaan Deyo Preetum Piyaare....

Mukh Har Araadhae Mera Raam .! "

" Naam Maha Rass Peeyo .. "

" Japp Mann Sat Naam , Sada Sat Naam, Sada Sat Naam, Sada Sat Naam, Sat Naam "

" Naam Japo Jee Aise Aise, Dhruv Prahlaad Japeeo Harr Jaise "

Gur Fateh Jeeo

daas

So he literally said, Don't Do Naam Japna?? or did he try to direct his message towards doing Jap in a monotonic way??? If he sat there and said don't do Naam Jap, im sure the rest of the sangat would've been like Waaaaaaaaht?? and the Bhai sahib of gurudwara would've asked him to explain what he was trying to say. I think its just a misunderstanding. I doubt his intentions were to defer the sangat from Japping the naam. But then again now a days everyone got their own interpetations of what the SGGS's message is.

even if you are doing simran like a machine with no attention to it, it will help you (unlike recitation of bani without attention).

why?

because the dhun (sound, beat) of naam itself effects you to the very core. Remember the vibration of naam simran is pervading EVERYTHING in this universe. So even if you sit there and do simran without any thought to it int he world, it will still help you in the end, because that beat sticks in your mind and helps ur soul.

just like if you were to put on a tape of simran (saas giraas) in the background, 24/7 (even during sleep) it will effect you quite a bit, even if u dont pay attention to it (trust me ive tried this).

so in the end, sitting like a robot and doing bani over and over, not much of a positive effect (except maybe the ability to sit for a long time or have some kind of concentration excercise) but sitting like a robot and doing simran is better than not doing it at all (well actually same for bani) but is also good for you as it effects you down to ur core and if u notice even later on your lungs have that feeling of simran going on even if ur doing something else.