My first experience of wearing a Chola

Vir Singh

As we all know the new generation in India is so anti-Gurmat. They cut there hairs, smoke, drink, do drugs, have BF/GF. Infact, my Indian relatives just laugh when I wear a Kurta Pejama. They themselves cut there hairs and drink Sharab. I remember this one time when I wore a Kurta Pejama in front of them, they all started laughing and sarcastically said “Gyani Bangiyaa”… I got so angry that the next time I came in front of them I wore a Blue Chola, 6 Karas on each arm, 3 foot long Kirpan, and a Kamar Kasaa. In addition to that, I wore a huge Dumallaah, with a Chand Tora along with a Sarbloh Chakra.

At first they were so surprised that their mouths were left open. But then after a few minutes they started sarcastically taunting me that “Nihang Bangiyaa”. I replied that atleast I look like a Singh, but you look like Bahmans and Baniyaas. It frustrates me when I see our own people having such a reaction to Bana. Goraas and Kalaas don’t have such a disgraceful behaviour as our people do. Why do they do this? Why do they discourage Bana? I have noticed that people who come new from India act like this even more then people here… why is that?

It would be great if we discuss this issue in detail. How do people act when you wear Bana (chola, Kurta Pejama, Shastars and Keski incase of Bibiya) and how can we change the attitudes of our people?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got so angry that the next time I came in front of them I wore a Blue Chola, 6 Karas on each arm, 3 foot long Kirpan, and a 12 inch Gurkha Kukri in my Kamar Kasaa.  In addition to that, I wore a huge Dumallaah, with a Chand Tora along with a Sarbloh Chakra.

^_^ waheguru.. mann i got respect for you.. respect.gif

i guess they can't take the new look... but doing this everytime .. hmm.. thats just wrong :umm:

well i haven't exactly been through anythin liek this befo.. my family encourages me on this stuff..

but i guess some ppl around us can't atke that look.. that you are more of a gursikh than them rolleyes.gif .. so instead of incouraging you they tend discourage you and lower you down in your choices. <

br>

they do this because the sangat around them is liek that... they try to lower the gursikhs down just liek the ppl ppl around.. since they can't become like you they want you to change the way you look.. i don know what their probs are...

they don't have much knowledge on gursikhi jeevan...

seriously.. when you said what you wore in reply to their statements.. i'm jus like wow. ohmy.gif .. respect.gif

it's tough to listen to their expressions...

but they've only got the buri sangat.. so to get them better we need to influence them with better sangat...

Bhul Chuk Di Khima

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

GOOD STUFF BRO!!!

MADD respect.gif !!

Well, I had a similar experience, when I took amrit, my mom told my nana/family in india, they were amazed, and said "wow!! that's really good, guru da singh ban geya!! wubb.gif " , and when my mom sent em a picture, where I'm wearing a chola, they were like ohmy.gif , "does he wear the chola all the time?, I mean its ok to take it off once a while!" lol, shows their brightness level :T: People just take the wrong impression, they're so used to the bad things going on, and don't realize the precious jewel which is worth millions, in the pocket of their old pants.

Trust me, Sikhi is gonna flourish in the western world, cuz punjabi sikhs don't have that much pyar for guru sahib, as the goray singhs do, try to speak to the western sikhs, every other word is 'waheguru'. ^_^^_^ This is where the 960, 000, 000 khalsa is going to be born.

Bhul chuk maaf karnee!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

try to smile first. but if smiling doesnt work, try saying this :

MARD NU MARD DA ROOP JACHDA, KHUSRAY DA NAHI

SHER NU SHER DA ROOP JACHDA, KUTTE DA NAHI

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

:umm:

Vir Singh I know where you coming from.. you are right that wen u wear a bana goray/kalay have more respect for you than these damn typical punjabi's. Cuz kalay/goray have never seen anything like it before so most of them are impressed. The reason I think ur relatives make fun of you cuz they take Guru sahib's bana as OLD and outdated plus of the bad rep of the nihangs and granthi singhs in India. They think its only 'velleh' who should wear bana/ kurta pajama. They think you live in the 16th century or something. These idiots have no piyaar for guru sahib or his bana.

You know something else. Its worst for the young Bibian who wear dastar in india. They get so many names called and wat not. They are taunted with "you are a munda, You are nihang, Are you sure you are not a Khusra, you look ugly without the make up " blah blah blah and wat not. and over here in western countries its easier for dastar waleean bibian compare to India. only on dastar issue. I know bibian here get teased about their dastars and why they don't shave any body hair and wat not.

Wen I was in high school here and I used to hang out with these guys who came from india. And they nick named me " nihung" because I used to tie my dastar kind of dumala style. I always you used to reply them with that I m proud to be one. This short punjabi guy used to have the same english class as me but his period was right before mine. So he would be getting out of the class and I would be entering it. One day he wrote the word "NIHUNG" on the chalk board in punjabi and left. Only I understood it cuz only I could read punjabi in the class except all the goray/kalay/cheenay. So after my period in my

next break I grabbed him by his neck and choked him. He was just about to cry. He never spoke to me after that and he never pulled any pranks on me like that again.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

vir bhai very good lemme tell u one thing ur prob and my prob is the same but after seeing ur statement i feel that i should first go for damalla then chola when im reday from inside.

thx bro i love u wubb.gifwubb.gifwubb.gif and brave khalsa veer what u said is 1000 percent so true it is going on in india only in western its not like this pls give ur blessing sangat jeo .

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Guest balwinderkaur

Wow really good to hear our fellow gursikh veers wearing bana. :umm: Keep it up. Ah well yea it is difficult initially with people teasing you and all that..but who cares....we're wearing bana for our Guru and carrying HIS roop so we oughta be proud of it FULL ON. :umm: I remember when I first started tying a dastaar my cousins were ohmy.gif and went like what are you upto?? trying to become a boy?? why are you wearing this?? Some even remarked now you and your dad look sooooooo alike I can hardly see any difference....indirectly taunting that i've left the dressing of a girl to take on a socalled "boyish" look. But to me, it never mattered....i wanted the dastaar so badly, and now I got one, I'm gonna love it heart and soul and be very proud of it. :D The same happened for my mom too when she started wearing bana to work and everywhere else...ppl used to pass remarks like......oh look that lady wearing white, Mother Teresa,she's a nun etc. But my mom just brushed it all aside with a calm smile and stuck to wearin a bana. And nowadays, there are folks whom you see wearing all white too

when in the past, you never saw folks wearing all white unless you were at a funeral programme. Hence, I feel that we should never let people get in our way of showing our pyaar for Gurujee. What they say should never discourage us. :@ So keep it up those veerjees and bhainjees who are wearing baana and dastaar. We're all very proud of u. :@ :@ :@