Goreh Names

Sikh_Kuri

gurfateh

i don't mind "sikhs" having a gora name but they should change their name when they take amrit. going on this i don't see any differnece between anyone that is mona and someone from anyother background.

108760[/snapback]

Why ? Is this stated in our Rehat Maryada ? If not then stopping making things up.

On a similar note the name Khalistan is apparently derived from a persian word so why is ok to have a country with a foreign name but not peoples names ?

If someone wants a african, arabian, chinese or european name then as long as they use Singh as their surname there is no need to change the first name !

108763[/snapback]

I dont mean to sound rude. But in the times of the Gurus it was persian that was spoken an that is why we have persian phrases in gurmaki. So Gurmaki uses alot of Persian.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's nothing wrong with having a gora name..

the meaning of the name is what is important i believe....

so if someone finds a name from a different culture, but conveys the meaning they want to convey, then by all means they should do it...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

i don't mind "sikhs" having a gora name but they should change their name when they take amrit. going on this i don't see any differnece between anyone that is mona and someone from anyother background.
Why ? Is this stated in our Rehat Maryada ? If not then stopping making things up.

Jee, I think the Rehat Maryada states that once you have taken Amrit, if you were not named according to the first letter from a Hukumnama when you were born, then you must re-name yourself according to the first letter of the Hukumnama which arises during the Amrit Sanchar.

Bhul Chuk Maaf pray.gif

Waheguroo

On a similar note the name Khalistan is apparently derived from a persian word so why is ok to have a country with a foreign name but not peoples names ?

Modern Punjabi has borrowed extensively from other languages, including Hindi, Urdu, and Persian.

Like other North Indian languages, it is derived from Sanskrit.

We could go on debate almost everyword in Punjabi that way. For example Khalsa, Sikh, Guru, Singh, I think you get the point.

As for goray names, its a personal opinion, not part of any code of conduct.

Most goray, not all, don't take you for <banned word filter activated>. You can cut your hair, change your name, but what remains is the fact your still brown. Well unless you went in got the Michael jackson treatment. No need to try and "fit in" or satisfy someone. Why would you overlook Punjabi names, especially when we are descendants of one of the greatest civilizations. Live proud and represent.

Modern Punjabi has borrowed extensively from other languages, including Hindi, Urdu, and Persian.

Like other North Indian languages, it is derived from Sanskrit.

We could go on debate almost everyword in Punjabi that way. For example Khalsa, Sikh, Guru, Singh, I think you get the point.

As for goray names, its a personal opinion, not part of any code of conduct.

Most goray, not all, don't take you for <banned word filter activated>. You can cut your hair, change your name, but what remains is the fact your still brown. Well unless you went in got the Michael jackson treatment. No need to try and "fit in" or satisfy someone. Why would you overlook Punjabi names, especially when we are descendants of one of the greatest civilizations. Live proud and represent.

108802[/snapback]

Yes I know Punjabi relies on other languages but that does not mean that we start adopting such words in the 20th century. What happened in the 16, 17,18 century is fine. But you do not carry on adopting foreign words for the sake of it when we have adequate words in Punjabi for the same thing.

Sikhism does not stipulate you must change your name. It is obvious that some people are getting confused with the renaming involved in Islam when people convert.

I dont want to barge in on the thread but kurtas I would just like to point out that actually in Islam a person does not have to change their name to an arabic name unless it has some kind of meaning which contradicts Islam in some way :doh:

I used to know quite a few sikhs who were given english names by their parents though i dont know the reasons why whether they wanted to 'fit in' or just preferred the names :doh:

If when a child is born and a letter is chosen for it from the page of the Guru Granth Sahib (correct me if im wrong on that) would it be acceptable for them to choose an english name that begins with that letter or must it be what is considered a 'sikh' name? just out of curiosity :doh:

If when a child is born and a letter is chosen for it from the page of the Guru Granth Sahib (correct me if im wrong on that) would it be acceptable for them to choose an english name that begins with that letter or must it be what is considered a 'sikh' name?  just out of curiosity :doh:

No theres nothing wrong, like i stated previously its a personal opinion. I don't know why you would though.

My question to the people here is, do Non-sikhs, Gorreh , kaale, china, spanish whatever, keep Sikh names?

How may non-sikhs go out of there way to name their kids with Sikh names? Names have special meanings, gorreh use the name Paul or John because they are inspired by the Bible, the gospels of Mark Mathew Luke and John, etc. When a Sikh kid is named Mary, John or Paul, what is the point?

The Sikhs people have such a glorious history and reputation that i have never understood why our people run away from it. Why do our people have this complex where they shed everything for other people. Let me ask you people something, if a sikh uses a "Gorah" name you think people are gonna see you as a Gorah? Please, to them your still a Paki, Hindu, Musalmaan, Arab, towelhead..you think your tan skin, your Punjabi-nose and your black hair is gonna change with your name..

be proud of who you are and where you come from. Have some self-respect, as Sikhs you have a lot of history behind you, be proud.

Peace.