Goreh Names

Sikh_Kuri

And dont u love the meaning Sikh names have they the best man. I swear and the way u can shout out a Sikh name sounds wicked. You cant really shout out any other names like Sikh names: Lol i saw two babeh one across the road and one was like

O BALDEV SIHOOO Teek ya, sounded wicked yeah. No imagine some gora baba:

O hello tom, NA JUST DONT ROCK ME BOAT LOL  LOL.gif

108924[/snapback]

lol.......Tru Say !

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brother she is a "pick n mix" of various religions/cultures.  LOL.gif

108923[/snapback]

STILL, Charlotte Kaur Patel, dont sound right. It's realy BAD !

What is in a punjabi name , that is not in a goreh name? Is the punjabi name superior? and the goreh name inferior?

If you think so , then let me remind you that Guru Nanak Dev Ji said "All the human race is one" . So why get upset by these small issues.

Only if you take amrit , then accordingly you put a Kaur or Singh behind your name. If you are born by birth into Sikh family and have that title behind your name, it doesnt necessarily mean that you are true sikh.

If you want to know who is a true sikh, then try feeling the heart of such a person when he/she reads bani, if you find love for the Guru, then you will know for yourself.

Concerning marriage as you say a sikh should only marry a sikh, then who is a sikh, According to that rehat you posted, it should only be an amritdhari male and female, there is no difference in the where both of them havent taken amrit.. to say the least there is pretty much no difference in the one who hasnt taken amrit and is from a sikh family and devoted to the Guru, and one who is not from a sikh family, but devoted to the Guru.

This topic is not required in the first place. no point to it. just blabber and argument

VJKK, VJKF

Quit the Sh** n get down to business... Guru Ji was called a page in a post b4, non of you mentioned th@ yet...

all i can say is the names of 2day r a mess but its not our fault, blame the 2nd working generation. The 1st religious generation did their job, the 2nd gen did their job n messed up a lil..., the 3rd Gen r a total mess n need to sort it out.

If they dont, the 4th gen, well what can i say, u'll just have tom n jerry!

no SIKHI what so ever!

Fateh ji!

Khalsa Jee,

Can I please know your views on keeping Sikh names under Goreh names or any other cultural names other than Sikh names?

Do you think it's right or wrong? Because we were discussing marriages and one of my m8 tld me she went to a wedding this weekend and when it came to the Ardaas the Gyani couldnt pronounce the Girls name properly because it was an english name and she didnt have a Sikh name at all, and I was arguing with this Girl today who is a "Sikh" but has a Gorah name and she justified it as if it's a right thing to keep a Gorahs name and the Gyani should have known how to pronounce it, and put the blame onto the Gyani, when it was no fault of the Gyani's what so eva.

108739[/snapback]

"Sikh" in quote marks? Please don't judge this girl! A name is not all there is to a Sikh. I have a cat named Stosh, a Polish name, and one named Ryoko-Sakura which is Japanese, and both are still cats!

Because of marriage laws in New York State, my legal name is Elizabeth Singh. I wanted to take Kaur, but was not allowed unless I paid a colossal sum of money for legal name change, then you have to go to a judge and prove you're not a wanted felon or someone who owes back child support or some such garbage. It doesn't seem to matter in the sangat; to them I am Bahadur Kaur, period. Fine by me. I was able to drop my middle name and take on Bahadur at least; but on the job, and for anything involving a signature, I have to be Elizabeth on the dotted line. I frankly don't care. Does our Divine Creator love an Elizabeth less than a Bahadur? I was Elizabeth (meaning "consecrated to God," by the way) when Guruji kicked me into Sikhi; my spiritual name came to me some months later, and the only reason I believe it did is because of my Catholic background. When Confirmed, a person often takes or receives a second name to symbolize the moving forward, the next step. And realize that for all my swimming in Sikhi, it can't wash the Pole out of me. I am and will always be western, and I can't cast it off. I don't think I was meant to. I was made what I am; I'm not ashamed of being Polish, so why NOT carry Elzbieta next to Bahadur? My hukam is to walk with one foot in Warsaw and the other in Amritsar. In keeping my given name I am honoring the people who suffered or died in the camps, and the ones who risked everything to fight the Nazis; I am honoring Lech Walesa and the Solidarity Union, who fought to end the corrupt rule of the Communists, because they were the ones who opened the door to the fall of the Iron Curtain. And in taking the name Bahadur (not my first choice, I believe it was given to me by a higher power) I am opening room to grow in the path before me, a new spiritual dimension, and giving honor to those who put into writing the things I believe, long before I knew what they were.

You should have been to my wedding... LOL.gif first, for all the valiant effort of the Granthi, he made mush of my name; second, during Ardaas a special intention for the health of my father who would not attend the ceremony was made, and you should have heard the mess made of Miroslaw Szczepanski! I had to hand him a paper with my father's name written phonetically for the poor fellow. Nothing against Bhai-sahib, he just never knew a Polish person before me! And, to cap it, I tripped and fell during the walk around Granth Sahib.

Blessed be,

BahaPolska

Brother she is a "pick n mix" of various religions/cultures.  LOL.gif

108923[/snapback]

STILL, Charlotte Kaur Patel, dont sound right. It's realy BAD !

108926[/snapback]

Charlotte, feminine form of Old Frankish Charles, meaning The Strong...a good quality for a Sikh, wouldn't you think?

Polska,

Who is no less a Sikh

Sat Sri Akal:

"You should have been to my wedding... And, to cap it, I tripped and fell during the walk around Granth Sahib."

And people say that the Almighty does not have a sense of humor...at human expense...

blush.gif

109281[/snapback]

I had it coming to me. It's an example of karma in action, and what goes around comes around. Literally! For a long time I thought I'd never marry; we call it in Western culture "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride." And I resented the brides, long ago. I'd sit and watch America's Funniest Videos and fall over laughing when some poor girl got her dress caught on a nail and ripped half off, in front of her church and family, or if she said 'Until Death Do Us Fart" or some such thing.

In our gurudwara, we keep the Granth Sahib on a platform which is also on a platform spanning across the front of the main hall; the building was once a Lutheran church, and this platform was where the altar stood and the minister preached. On each side, there were three steps down to the main floor where the sangat sits. It was on the fourth round that I tripped down the side stairs, and I busted out laughing like a madwoman. What was I going to do, sit and whine? I knew I had it coming, God picked the best place for it, and I like to think we were both laughing.

Blessed be,

BahaPolska

The behaviour of a personel , his or her act is more important than name....what is in name? where is it written on your body? even you have a goreh name or punjabi name but not a true sikh then what is the point? your soul has no name. it has only karam. you came without name , you will go without name. who will remember your name? name is just for worldly concern. for people to call you. what is the big deal? this topic is endless guys .....