• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

www.3ho.com

107885[/snapback]

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

you could have just said "join them instead of trying to help others"

What and insult, are we trying to bury the issue again?

107888[/snapback]

Please be aware that I am a new member to this forum, and unfamiliar with what you're saying. There was no insult intended. In fact, I feel somewhat the injured party, because it seems you've snapped off on me without due cause. What is this issue which you seem to think I'm burying? The 3HO website came to mind only because I know it relates to English speaking Sikhs, and was not trying to proselytize you into joining this organization. I do not believe in conversion tactics. I do not belong to to 3HO myself, and I know of no other site or group that specifically relates to Western or English-speaking Sikhs. If you can find one better, then enlighten me.

Polska

Please stay on the topic and dont be easily offended by user comments.

I was going to suggest, that we can have a section on sikhsangat where members post a punjabi word every day, and give full explanation on how it could be used and how it is pronounced, sort of like building a dictionary.

It would also be benefitial to attach audio along with posts :doh:

Please stay on the topic and dont be easily offended by user comments.

I was going to suggest, that we can have a section on sikhsangat where members post a punjabi word every day, and give full explanation on how it could be used and how it is pronounced, sort of like building a dictionary.

It would also be benefitial to attach audio along with posts :doh:

107892[/snapback]

If that's for me, my apologies! I'm a good one for both getting off the map, and getting hot under the collar!

Not a bad idea, the word a day thing! May I suggest a special section on grammar? Like how to properly conjugate verbs and the proper pronoun usage; also, how words are used and formed if plural, or if you're talking to a group or elder as opposed to your buddy.

Blessed be,

BahaPolska

If that's for me, my apologies! I'm a good one for both getting off the map, and getting hot under the collar!

Not a bad idea, the word a day thing! May I suggest a special section on grammar? Like how to properly conjugate verbs and the proper pronoun usage; also, how words are used and formed if plural, or if you're talking to a group or elder as opposed to your buddy.

Blessed be,

BahaPolska

107949[/snapback]

That comment wasnt at you, it was at Khalsa Starr's Angry smilies tongue.gif .

Errm i dont like word a day, its too slow, it should be as many words as people can post, but only one word per post and in a special format, that could be agreed upon by everyone:)

grrr, i dont like you guys, giving me all these ideas, now i am gonna spend all my time thinking about these.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work - progress! woohoo!

Well - earlier on the posts in here said, contact someone from 3HO and ask them... so i did, and the answer was that in their community, the elders havent learned punjabi, but they learn the meaning of banis, and how to read Gurmukhi. The younger generation though - like our age and stuff... many have actually gone to india to study! and that is how the y learned punjabi and some hindi... by immersing. Now... thats a bit expensive of a trip to learn a language... (but it could be fun!!!)... hmm

I think, if we make a special effort to mix and blend with the punjabi speaking sikhs, then they can teach us punjabi.. (and in return we can teach them english! if they want) -- (Actually, i have this kind of agreement happenning with the mo ther of a friend of mine, who speak punjabi)... its a win-win situation. :)

-----

About what Polska said earlier - shes right. i dont blame them for being weary of westerners... after all SO MANY of them-us-people have a terrible idea of what is "cool" and what "fashion" is, and what have a "fun time" is about... keep their kids away - yes, thats fine with me. But its about right judgement... who is currupt, and who is ok. lol as long as its fair. Not all westerners are bad influences.

----

I like the word a day thread idea. its awesome! maybe we should start a kind of wiki for that? Punjabi - English - Other Languages eventually it could become an online dictionary of sorts, that would be easily searchable.

----

I understand that it can be hard to learn the punjabi, and that sometimes we want things to be given to us - we want it to be in english also... etc etc. But... we are still a small population of Western sikhs, and we shouldnt expect things to be given to us... we have to help build it, ourselves.

Learning the language, is a good thing... translations dont carry the same meaning... with the emotional colours and special words... Did you know that Guru Nanak Dev Ji told the special meanings of each of the Gurmukhi Letters? It holds some information there also...

we as western converts need to comprimise, the same way they may also need to comprimise... as long as nothing strays or takes away from the sikhi!