Makeup, mehndi etc

There's a fella here who ends his posts with a description of the kakkars and things which are supposed to be against Rehit like meat-eating etc. and he said makeup and mehndi were forbidden. Now I ask: what if certain cosmetics are a necessity for protection?

To explain, I'm very fair-skinned and sun-allergic. I'll burn to the point of blistering in less than a half hour without high-octane sunscreen, and I wear a face makeup with sunscreen as well. It also serves to even the skin tone, because fair people can show a lot of redness from broken capillaries and such. So makeup for me isn't some paint to go looking like a tart, but to protect myself from skin cancer. I figure that Waheguruji gave me this skin and body for a reason and it is my responsibility to take care of it. And the last thing I want is a skin cancer. My best buddy's mom is dying of cancer right now, from a melanoma which spread all over the body, and she used to go tanning like crazy when she was young.

So where is the line drawn?

There's a fella here who ends his posts with a description of the kakkars and things which are supposed to be against Rehit like meat-eating etc. and he said makeup and mehndi were forbidden. Now I ask: what if certain cosmetics are a necessity for protection?

To explain, I'm very fair-skinned and sun-allergic. I'll burn to the point of blistering in less than a half hour without high-octane sunscreen, and I wear a face makeup with sunscreen as well. It also serves to even the skin tone, because fair people can show a lot of redness from broken capillaries and such. So makeup for me isn't some paint to go looking like a tart, but to protect myself from skin cancer. I figure that Waheguruji gave me this skin and body for a reason and it is my responsibility to take care of it. And the last thing I want is a skin cancer. My best buddy's mom is dying of cancer right now, from a melanoma which spread all over the body, and she used to go tanning like crazy when she was young.

So where is the line drawn?

104594[/snapback]

As simmal tree said in another thread -

these type of things come down to "bhaavnaa" and guru sahib jee looks at your "bhaavnaa" when you take any action in your life. even some positive actions might have negative intentions - so they are not good karma. for example if we do seva but we have ego about that seva. same way if we use treatments for skin problems but we are doing it because we want more attention and respect, then that is the wrong way because attention and respect comes from naam abhyaas, not from skin treatments. however if one is doing it simply for treating the skin problem...ie protecting themselves against skin cancer - to make their skin healthier, and out of pyaar for the guru (this is the guru's skin, guru's body, guru's head) then there's nothing wrong with it.

ahhhhh, and its good to know someone reads Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jis rehat in my sig :doh:

vaheguru ji ka khalsa!

vaheguru ji kai fateh!

ummm fittistjatti first off we don't believe in the caste system so ur name is "not sikhi like" and i'm sure if ur husband was a singh he would say no. are u even reading what they post. and its not alright to where it. quote from akal purukh di fauj>>> if we use makeup treatments for skin problems but we are doing it because we want more attention and respect, then that is the wrong way because attention and respect comes from naam abhyaas, not from skin treatments. however if one is doing it simply for treating the skin problem...ie protecting themselves against skin cancer - to make their skin healthier, and out of pyaar for the guru (this is the guru's skin, guru's body, guru's head) then there's nothing wrong with it.<<<<< end qoute

Bul chak maf.

vaheguru ji ka khalsa!

vaheguru je kai fateh!

vaheguru ji ka khalsa!

vaheguru ji kai fateh!

ummm fittistjatti first off we don't believe in the caste system so ur name is "not sikhi like" and i'm sure if ur husband was a singh he would say no. are u even reading what they post. and its not alright to where it. quote from akal purukh di fauj>>> if we use makeup treatments for skin problems but we are doing it because we want more attention and respect, then that is the wrong way because attention and respect comes from naam abhyaas, not from skin treatments. however if one is doing it simply for treating the skin problem...ie protecting themselves against skin cancer - to make their skin healthier, and out of pyaar for the guru (this is the guru's skin, guru's body, guru's head) then there's nothing wrong with it.

Seems I've opened a can of worms here...

I'm not out to impress anyone. A little color's a nice extra, like a shake of oregano on my spaghetti, but I'm not out to tease men or win respect. It's a false respect, first of all. If someone only respects me for fashion, that's not respect. That's BS and it comes from false hearts. And men? I have a husband. I don't want attentions from other men. (One guy we know used to play with my hair and my Bakhsheesh almost beat the snot out of him. I now cover my hair and desire to wear dastaar.) The cosmetic preparation I wear is to protect me from a potentially disastrous reaction to sunlight. Akal Purukh Di Fauj had it right: this skin's not mine, I'm just renting it for as long as I'm staying on this planet. This skin, my body, is my little house that I'm renting from Guruji, and I have to be a good tenant and take care of His property. If any human being gives me fake flattery for how my skin looks, it is just as bad as giving me a bad time over my color.

Blessed be,

Polska

Whooo needssss make upppppppppp, if u trullyyy wanna be a beau, forgett make upp og wid dat natural look,

I have neva eva put any sort of make up on my face ( buh doo like the taste of thee old lipppy gloss strawberry flava mmmmmmmmm)

Only use it if u gunna eat it not to show off oki my theroy tongue.gif