Famous Quotes from your parents...

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i want to drive at night....

"its not that we don't trust you... we don't trust the people all around you.."

"Im your mother, ive cleaned your bumbs!"

"I was a teenager once too, ive done mistakes, you learn from the ones ive done, so don't do them..." then i ask what mistakes have you done.."That is none of your business do your work!"

"STOP TALKING TO YOUR FRIENDS" When im typing on the computer doing an essay or an assignment lol

Nice topic...

Dad use to always say to us as children esp. when we were sad or afraid of something...

kaddhi ni rohnaa

(never cry)

kaddhi ni dharidhaa

(never fear)

...didn't mean a great deal at the time, but can't help but think that it stuck deep inside at some point. He lived it too, a person of average stature and a very refined gentleman who use to literally chase down anyone, usually groups, who made racist comments. There was no shortage of racist comments on the streets those days. Outside of a brawl that others told me about later as i was a baby (good story for another day), he never got into altercations.

I have many memories of chases as a young child on foot and in the car. Most people would run, those he caught, he would be catching his breath yet without as much as a twitch offer to discuss the matter with them. Most would look like they were about to pi** thier pants and apologize profusely. He was very soft spoken and extremely well mannered otherwise, not a modern day disco gangster. Quotes esp. inspirational for me cause he left this world while we were still kids.

Not sure that these days with guns on streets such things are possible. Gotta salute all those parent who in many ways challenged racism head on in the 70's and kept their kes, knowing that they often worked twice as hard for everything. They also managed to raise thier children with the gift of dignity of guru's roop. :doh:

WaheguruJi Ka Khalsa. WaheguruJi Ki Fateh.

It's really nice to think back and remember what our parents used to tell us and we used to take offence, but today we see the wisdom in those words, no matter how harsh they may have seemed then. We always think that our folks do not understand us and that they are acting like some army commanders who do not understand us. But they've been through what we are going through. They only meant to discipline us. I wonder if we can ever be so strict on our own kids . . . but it's on us . . . spare the rod and spoil the child!

Some of the phrases I remember my folks used on the siblings are simply classic:

1. 'Exam tere nehray aanlagey ah teh tu laggah tv dekhan! Paper tere pyoh na paana!!!'

2. When we really should have been studying, we had the guts to ask mum for permission to watch tv and we'd get blasted, 'Ethay aah, mein tenu tv dakhaavaa!!'

3. When he used to come home late into the night from a saturday out, dad used to tell my brother, 'kuteya vangu saara din baar ghumda rehnda. Parhaayi da ehnu koi fikar nai!'

4. 'Dad, mein Amitabh Bachchan di filum dekhyava(n) cinmay?'

'Kyun, oh tera taaya lagda?!'

5. Mum (giving a shout-out to dad): 'Ah dekho tah, eh eltaa karan nu hattda nai!'

Dad: 'Lah ehde doh chaar kanna mund!!'

6. 'Hunn baar gya tah teri tan(n)g(n)a phandeynya!!

7. 'Chup karja nai teh polas (police) deh havaaley kardeyna!!

8. 'Mum, aj mein sakool nai jaana. Meinu lagda meinu bhukhaar hoya!'

'Sakool kidha nai jaana? Tera bhukhaar tah mein hunni kadd deyna!!'

9. 'Tera meinu lagda parhanh da koi iraada nai, agaay jaake khottay (donkeys) chaarney ah?!'

10. (In the late mornings, in holidays) 'Uthja hunn!! Pataa nai addi raat tak kee karda rehnda!! Raat nu sohnda nai, dinnay uthda nai . . . kutteya!! Uthja hunn!!'

:) @

What memories! :doh:

WaheguruJi Ka Khalsa. WaheguruJi Ki Fateh.

Hmmmm this isnt really a quote but something my grandma used to do...

Like when we were kids we used to plan footie on the concrete outside the house and everytime someone would get hurt...like fall down and cut their leg open no.gif

Anyhoo the closest person to the door would run inside and tell my granny what had happened. She could then come outside with a cloth and spit on it and rub it where u were hurt :doh:

i think she was going under the theory that to pain can only be defeated with more pain grin.gif

hmmm.....after the first time.....she did that...no one ever fell down again... or actually i think we stopped playing footie..and played cards instead...oh those were the dayz....

2. When we really should have been studying, we had the guts to ask mum for permission to watch tv and we'd get blasted, 'Ethay aah, mein tenu tv dakhaavaa!!'

4. 'Dad, mein Amitabh Bachchan di filum dekhyava(n) cinmay?'

'Kyun, oh tera taaya lagda?!'

8. 'Mum, aj mein sakool nai jaana. Meinu lagda meinu bhukhaar hoya!'

'Sakool kidha nai jaana? Tera bhukhaar tah mein hunni kadd deyna!!'

CLASSSSSSSICCCCSSS

omgggg u tha best mannnn