HOw important is Taking Amrit for a Sikh??

Pheena

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kam1825 Wrote:
..........because the panj pyare tell u on the day of amrit that you are liberated from the cycle of life and death?

Simply speaking sir, your liberation is depended upon the status of your heart and mind, not what was told during the Amrit Ceremoy. If liberation was that easy, i'd be first in line.

OH BUT IT IS!!

Guru sahib made it so easy!!!

Actually its not that easy... amrit is the first step.. yes you are liberated from birth cycles of different animals etc.. BUT as written in dasam bani, and confirmed by reincarnated gursikhs, once you take amrit and stay on the path, if you do not acheive mukhti, guru gobind singh jee said we get 7 more tries as gurmukhs.. we are born into lives where we take amrit and will soon remember our past lives by doing bhagti and have a better chance of attaining mukhti..

r>amrit does help us breka free of these bonds.. it is written in guru granth sahib so many times.. naam acsends all...

only those who do not know the pleasures of naam will argue against this!

I agree that Amrit is a Great Stepping stone in this journey to Liberation, but for a Sikh is it Absolute Necessary. Such as the Sindis from who i've seen more love and devotion to guru nanak, they also bow their head to the SGGS and they haven't taken amrit. I also know of a Hindu who go goes to the gurudwara, hasn't taken Amrit, but everytime we meet, his body trembles with waheguru's viberations literally. Just to be around him , even to just to see him from far away is like no other feeling.

As for Specific number of afterlives we get after taking amrit to attain liberation does not set right in my heart. I am not saying it is wrong, but before any Granth i will believe my Guru SGGS. If you can please give me a direct quote or page # in the Dasam Granth.

I without a doubt believe that taking Amrit Does help you with breaking such bonds. But if it was that Necessary, why didn't the 10th guru make it Clear in the SGGS that to be a Sikh, to be a Diciple of the 11 gurus you must take Amrit. If you know of Direct Quote, Please Please do post them. A fellow sikh told me to read Bhai Gurdas's bani , i haven't been able to yet, but if you have such quotes that mention taking amrit in the SGGS please do post them.

Waheguru

I do have one more thing to add..

guru gobind singh jee himself got down on his knees and took amrit from panj.. this in itself should tell you the importance of it.. if sachae patsha himself had to get down on his knees to take amrit, who are we to argue against it?

A very good piont ji, but i've also heard that the main reason for having Amrit was to make a Fauj of Khalsa. In Another words to be the Fauj of the 10th Guru? I have no idea how much truth this holds, but please do give me your thoughts.

why doesnt guru granth sahib jee say we have to keep our hair?

how about wearing a kirpan?

how about doing nitnem?

how about doing sehaj patt?

how about building a gurudwara? where in guru granth sahib jee does it say sikhs should build gurudwaras instead of worshipping in mosques or in temples?

i think the fact that guru sahib, light of akal purakh himself, got DOWN on his KNEES in front of mere MORTALS and gave his head to THEM, shows how important amrit is...

Guest SikhForLife
Can you be liberated without have taken Amrit meaning being an AmritDhari Sikh? Can a SahijDhari Sikh be liberated?? What guarantee is there that the AmritDhari sikh will be liberated??

to answer the question ..... !

u can be liberated even if you are not a part of the Sikh religion..

as long as you atune urself to God

but us Sikhs are blessed with such a wonderful and easier way.. which is baptism..

and theres no guarantee.. cuz it depends on You.. and how much you are willing to do...

many of so called "baptised" sikhs are still a slave to evil....

PS. i am no where near perfect.. involved in evil myself..

why doesnt guru granth sahib jee say we have to keep our hair?

how about wearing a kirpan?

how about doing nitnem?

how about doing sehaj patt?

how about building a gurudwara? where in guru granth sahib jee does it say sikhs should build gurudwaras instead of worshipping in mosques or in temples?

i think the fact that guru sahib, light of akal purakh himself, got DOWN on his KNEES in front of mere MORTALS and gave his head to THEM, shows how important amrit is...

well that is exactly my questions. Those are a part of the Rehit Muryada. Not sure when it was created. why doesn't it mention it, Perhaps it doesn't mention this because having God in your heart, Showing Compassion to Humanity, is more important than wearing a Kirpan or going to Gurudwara....i don't know, i can only speculate as I myself have no definite answer in this.

Jee,

Guru Gobind Singh Jee said "Rehat pyare mujh ko, sikh pyare nahi"

The rehat or the actual showing of the love is more important to guru sahib than the sikh himself.. guru sahib loves your rehat, not who you are..

you can say oh i love u all you want, but with no commitment or no proof, what love is really there?

This is a complicated subject, but this is how I understand it....

The reason for us taking this human form is to meet Vaahiguru, to become one with Vaahiguru. This is stated many times in Gurbanee. To do this, Gurbanee tells us that we must japp naam. But Japping naam isn't as simple as just speaking something from your mouth.

Gurbanee tells us in many places that in order to jap naam, you must first receive naam dee daat from your satguru. To do this, you must first accept your Satguru, become a disciple of that Satguru. Many times Gurbanee tells us to get deekiya, or take on a satguru and that naam is recieved from the Satguru. Simply saying the words without receiving the gift isn't enough. The role of the guru is crucial. Gurbanee also tells us that the Satguru of this Jug is Guru Nanak Dev Jee. How does one become a disciple of the satguru and receive Naam? According to Bhai Gurdaas' varaan and historical texts, there was a physical ceremony where one became a sikh of the guru and received naam. During Guru Nanak Dev Jee's time, it was known as Charan Pahul. After receiving this gift, the devotee would then spend the rest of their life japping naam, reciting gurbanee and keeping the discpline given by the guru. Doing paat, keeping rehit, it's all to aid with naam.

During the time that the guru's were here in human form, sikhs were initiated into naam with the charan pahul ceremony. Guru Gobind Singh Jee ended the human guruship and so changed the method of initiation from charn pahul to khanday dee pahul. It's the same amrit, just a different method since the Guru was no longer around in Human form. They gave this duty to

the Panj piaray, who are guru roop and have the authority to give Gurmanter. The reason for shukking amrit isn't just to join the khalsa fauj, the primary purpose is to receive naam dee daat. You accept Guru Saahib as your guru, swear your life to him, and in return you get Naam dee daat. To show that taking khanday dee pahul is a must and that the authority too administer Naam dee daat is now with the Panj, Guru Gobind Singh Jee themselves asked for this daat and promised not only himself, but the lives of his family for it.

Do you need to take it? I would say yes, but I guess every one of us has to come to that conclusion on our own, with Guru Jee's Kirpa.

If I've said anything against gurmat, forgive me.

Guest learner singh

Also Pheena...

Check out this...

"Living a life according to the Sikh philosophy is loved by me and not the physical appearance of a Sikh". (Rahit piari mujh ko Sikh piara nahen).

Guru ji didn't pick up five deciples but he asked, and it should tell us that he was not forcing or wanted someone to come just because he said so but it was based on their own desire and lets keep the same spirit...

Guru ji encouraged to become khalsa and we should do the same but forcing it on anyone is against guru ji's teaching.